A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,838
Currently Running With Scissors:
249 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A question about a dress.. now with pictures.  (Read 28323 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
rachel_
« on: May 24, 2005 09:25:54 AM »

I'm still kinda new to Craftster, so I hope that this is the right board.

I was just wondering if you could help me. I've fallen in love with the dress in the My Chemical Romance video for Helena, I'm seeing it in green or gold or something equally pretty. However, I can't seem to find a pattern like it, so I was wondering if you could help. I'm trying to get a screenshot, but my computer is being damn annoying. If anyone has seen the video and has any suggestions for a pattern, I would really appreciate it until I can find a screenshot.

Thanks.

EDIT: That's the best that I can do I'm afraid. I just kinda need an idea for a pattern, I can modify, that's not a problem, I just can't find anything close to it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005 08:07:21 AM by rachel_ » THIS ROCKS   Logged
armybratlovestokni

Interkay will rule you all!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005 08:45:20 AM »

Is it the dress the dancer is wearing  or someone in the congregation is sporting?
I don't know wich ur talkin about Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would rather be knitting.
rachel_
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005 10:39:07 AM »

I apologise. Its the dress that the dancer is wearing. I'm still trying to find a full length picture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olenka

if i can't dance, i don't want your revolution

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005 05:39:08 PM »

I think that outfit is beautyfull. I will tel you what I see. I think it is done from 2 pieces..

Top- cotset stile (ore real corset) made from 8 ore 6  panels with zippier in the back, and Tull(sp) embellished top age. Mind that the top is longer then average corset so probably It would be the best to buy pattern for strapless and shorten it.
There is also black strip of material (may be undone bow) added on the bottom .

Fore the skirt I would use top part from basic pencil skirt( perpule stripe billow the corset). Bottom of a skirt is i think done from 4 layers. Black perpule and Tull(sp)  layer made from weary long stripes, and the shorter lining layer that is asymmetrical and you pin top 3 layers to  it.
Sorry if it doesn't mack sense English is not my first language I will try to explain every thing if you have any questions. I love figuring out outfits like that so I will be glad to help you.

simplicity has a pattern 5207 that probably shows the best what I was thinking of use a top part.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005 12:50:11 AM »

from what I remember it's just a strapless well tailored top, with a red belt/applique around the bottom, and then a couple of long circle skirts (one red, one black) over a shorter tulle underskirt. The circle skirts are cut away at various places and tucked up in places to reveal everything underneath.

hope that makes some sense. I'll go watch the video again if it doesn't.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The earth, stained with the blood of a thousand dying soldiers, weeps as she welcomes them home.

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/3wl9/1
rachel_
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005 10:04:44 AM »

Okay... so the top and skirt are separate? Right. So basically I just need to make three circle skirts, one tulle, and two in chosen colours of a satin type fabric, and then produce the top. Do you think that I would need a pattern to get the accuracy of the fit in the top?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005 11:05:46 AM »

Sorry if I wasn't clear about it the first time around.. but the top and skirt are definately attached.  You could use a pattern, and probably get better results.. depending on your skills in fitting.. or you could sew a long tube, and then use darts to get it to fit nicely, then just attach the skirt to the bottom.
It looks like the top part ends at about her hips, if that helps any.

I just stumbled on this sewing pattern, and the greenish gold dress on the left is a pretty close to accurate pattern. The top seems like it'd be exactly what you're looking for. It's about the right length, the right shape, and it's even got the same little ruffley trim that the dress in the video had along the top.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

The earth, stained with the blood of a thousand dying soldiers, weeps as she welcomes them home.

rachel_
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2005 11:54:15 AM »

Oh wow, that's actually really close to the pattern. I'm fine with working with the skirts without a pattern, I was just a little worried about having to construct the top. Thank you for your help. Now all I gotta do is find that pattern somewhere  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2005 12:58:39 PM »

it's simplicity 4580 =) sorry I didn't include that sooner.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2005 08:40:37 PM »

I've not seen this video, as I gave up on MTV a long while ago, but from the pics it looks like part of that skirt is a "bubble" skirt.  The top, heavy black bit that is asymetrical.  From the pics, it does NOT look like satin, it looks like taffeta.  I think a circle skirt in tulle and one in the other contrast color would be good, but consider making it LIKE a circle skirt only not trimming the fabric into an actual circle.  Leave the points on there, or cut it into an irregular shape with straight edges.  That'll give it that ragged look without a lot of post-sewing snipping and trimming.  The upper layer should probably be taffeta, though, and tafetta is heavy enough you could make the corsetty top bit from it, too, with a layer of tulle over it maybe.  Consider also keeping your eye out for vintage 80's patterns.  I think you could find something very VERY similar.  You might also consider looking through the costume patterns for something can-can or saloon-girl to give you a start.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes I post at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin! Actually, really, find me almost everywhere as Lothruin!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...