A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Jingle bells, jingle bells, it's time to show off your TREE!  Show off your flocking and garland with us this year.
Total Members: 319,830
Currently Running With Scissors:
267 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What to make my big brother for his birthday?  (Read 1900 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

notnancy
« on: November 22, 2010 02:12:08 PM »

I have, for the past few years, made something for my brother's birthday. It's close to xmas, and I want him to feel that his bday is special and not just lumped in with another holiday. In the past I've made him a memory tin (burning an Altoids tin then filling it with a collage); a box of quotes about life and humor in general; and last year I put together a writer's kit (butt-pillow for his computer chair, journals, and a portfolio-as well as a 12 pack of soda to keep him awake at night) b/c he's a screenplay writer.
This year I am at a lost as to what to do.
Here are the basics:
He's my big brother.
He'll be 33.
He's writes movies and scripts (comedies/thinker thrillers mostly).
He has a cat named Elvis and likes Elvis.
No fave color.
He's a Saints fan, but not one of the super fans.
He's been on his own for about a year since he and his wife of 10 years split up, so he's doing the bachelor thing.

As far as my skills go, I cannot crochet or knit. Everything else I can pretty much do (ok, no metal crafts either) (oh and sewing is limited).
So that's all I can think of...thanks for any suggestions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
babyface843
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010 04:57:40 PM »

This might sound a little lame, but how about a "thinking cap" for times when he can't come up with a good idea to write about.  Otherwise it would keep his head warm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flygirl88
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010 05:06:32 PM »

Depending on his sense of humor, how about a cross-stitch giving away the endings of popular movies?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovers of air find it exhilarating to hang poised between the illusion of immortality, and the fact of death -Alexander Chase
KathrynJB
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010 01:07:59 PM »

I have a magnet that I keep on my computer's speaker that I love. It says "I write stuff." with a little monster sort of thing. You could make something for his desk (paint a mug for pens, make a little plaque, whatever) that says that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThePQ4
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010 12:43:05 PM »

I don't remember where I saw it, maybe here someplace, but what how about magnetic letters for the fridge/etc?? The tute I saw took old wood scrabble tiles, stuck magnets on the backs. You could spell out something specific, or make a whole set. They're tons of fun on the fridge, and could stem a pretty great idea for any writer. I can't wait to make mine Wink

If you don't have an old Scrabble board you're willing to part with, you can probably find a game at Goodwill or other thrift shop for a couple of bucks --get a couple and give him an extra-large set.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Crochet Knotted Head Wrap
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Pipe Cleaner Mouse
December 13, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...