A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
181 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: multiple sc in one chain stitch  (Read 5108 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
notanotherxerox
« on: November 16, 2010 11:11:00 AM »

Hi! This is the first thing I'm crocheting other than the basic simple scarf. I know how to do chain stitch, single, double, half double, and treble crochet but I've never followed a pattern.
Heres the pattern I'm following:
STITCH EXPLANATION:

sc2tog (sc decrease) Insert hook into st and draw up a loop. Insert hook into next st and draw up a loop. Yarn over, draw through all 3 loops on hook

NOTES:

Work in continuous rnds; do not join or turn unless otherwise instructed. 

BODY
Ch 2.
Rnd 1: Work 6 sc in first ch; place a marker to indicate beg of rnd; move marker upas each rnd is completed.
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each st around - 12 sts.
Rnd 3: *2 sc in next st, sc in next st; rep from * around - 18 sts.
Rnd 4: *2 sc in next st, sc in each of next 2 sts; rep from * around - 24 sts.
Rnd 5: *2 sc in next st, sc in each of next 3 sts; rep from * around - 30 sts.
Rnd 6: *2 sc in next st, sc in each of next 4 sts; rep from * around - 36 sts.
Rnd 7: *2 sc in next st, sc in each of next 5 sts; rep from * around - 42 sts.
Rnds 8-17: Sc in each st around.
Rnd 18: *Sc2tog, sc in each of next 5 sts; rep from * around - 36 sts.
Rnd 19: *Sc2tog, sc in each of next 4 sts; rep from * around - 30 sts.
Rnd 20: *Sc2tog, sc in each of next 3 sts; rep from * around - 24 sts.
Following package directions, attach safety eyes. Stuff piece.
Rnd 21: *Sc2tog, sc in next 2 sts; rep from * around - 18 sts.
Rnd 22: *Sc2tog, sc in next st; rep from * around - 12 sts.
Rnd 23: (Sc2tog) around - 6 sts.
Fasten off, leaving a long tail. Weave tail through last rnd and gather tightly. Knot to secure.

TENTACLES (make Cool
Ch 2.
Rnd 1: Work 6 sc in first ch; place a marker to indicate beg of rnd; move marker up as each rnd is completed.
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc around - 12 sc.
Rnds 3-10: Sc in each sc around.
Fasten off.

FINISHING
Stuff Tentacles and sew to Body. With red yarn, embroider straight stitch smile. Weave in ends. 

And the part I'm having trouble understanding is this:
"Ch 2.
Rnd 1: Work 6 sc in first ch; place a marker to indicate beg of rnd; move marker upas each rnd is completed.
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each st around - 12 sts."

How in the world do I do 6 single crochets in one chain stitch?

And can anyone explain how to use stitch markers? I don't understand how you crochet them into your work and how to get them off, so basically I have no idea what to do with them haha. Do I really need them?
I've tried looking for tutorials to help me but all I keep finding is help for the same basic stitches I know.
Thank you so much!

(The pattern is free from Lion Brand website so I'm not posting something from a book or you'd otherwise have to pay for.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One of a kind upcycled greeting cards
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ReCardCreations
Send someone a smile, help the Earth
Confuzzle
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010 11:51:26 AM »

To work the multiple stitches in one stitch:

Insert hook into the stitch, yo, pull up a loop, yo, draw through both loops on the hook.
Insert hook into the same stitch as before, yo, pull up a loop, yo, draw through both loops on the hook.
lather, rinse, repeat

For stitch markers in crochet, I use a small length of yarn in a different color, that will stand out. Just tie it loosely around the yarn, push it up snug against the last stitch, and be careful NOT to catch it with the hook on your next stitch. That way, when you reach it on the next round, you can just untie it and move it up a row. With a pattern like this, they're a little important. It helps to count your rows and keep the whole thing even, so that one tentacle doesn't end up an inch longer than the rest. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

binxpup
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010 01:37:26 PM »

Hey - i had the same trouble when I started! great advice given already but also instead of a scrap of yarn, I use a bobby pin, you know the skinny hair slide..? I find it alot less tricky to take out and put back in at the end of the rounds.

also on ch 2 6sc - do the first two chains quite loosely to give you a bit more space to see what your doing till you get used to it

hope this helps,

Louise

xxx
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eivez
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010 03:14:18 PM »

Before getting some nice locking stitch markers, I used paperclips. Just bend them open a little so they are looser and they are easy to put in. This site has a good write-up on it: http://www.futuregirl.com/craft_blog/2006/9/paper-clip-stitch-markers.aspx Hope this helps! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Devierue
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010 03:58:04 AM »

Something else that works nicely as a stitch marker: the twist tie things that come with garbage bags/electronic cables/sometimes bread...they are a thin piece of wire with some sort of paper coating. They bend and flex well, which makes them easy to place and likely to stay put while still being thin enough for me to easily move as I wish.

I too recently made my first non-flat project (Roly Poly Cat from this kind lady's blog: http://puchitomato.livejournal.com/22042.html#cutid1) and found that using a stitch marker was a LOT easier than trying to keep count, especially if I had to put it down suddenly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
notanotherxerox
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010 02:24:32 PM »

Thank you all so much for your help and useful tips!!!! I was able to complete the pattern without any trouble after your help and ended up using a bobby pin as a stitch marker because it was what I had on me. Thank you!!!
I included a picture of my project because I think she turned out really cute and I'm so proud of finishing my first pattern.

This one shoes her color a little better.

Thanks for helping me make this little octopus!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One of a kind upcycled greeting cards
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ReCardCreations
Send someone a smile, help the Earth
Silver_McAdams
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010 01:00:49 PM »

you are probably using the wrong combination or size of a yarn or hook and crocheting too tight...the yarn should not squeak on the needle. try making your chain looser. 6 stitches ought to fit in one chain easy.

i use scrap yarn as a marker...just tye it loosly to the stitch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...