A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,842
Currently Running With Scissors:
254 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Material of Clothes when selling  (Read 2056 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
CaityBear
« on: November 13, 2010 10:09:00 AM »

So, I'm thinking of selling clothes that I make at some point. In the descriptions, people always put what kind of material.

So...what if we don't know what kind of material it is?? I mean, when you buy it at a fabric store, somewhere it's written what kind of fabric it is. But I get my fabric from all sorts of places (lots of random things of bold fabric from second hand stores) and I don't know what kind of material it is.

What should I do then?? Is it very important to have the type of fabric?

I would give instructions on washing it either way and most of my fabrics are just basic type ones that don't need special washing instructions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010 04:42:54 AM »

If you don't know what it is for sure, it's less important than knowing how to wash it (and also importantly, iron it) without ruining it. I would state that you're not sure exactly what it is, but include if the fabric is thin/heavy, soft/stiff, stretch/non, etc. Cotton qualities or poly blends, you don't have to be overly specific if the customer is satisfied that you've explained how to take care of it once it's in their hands.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maggiedoll
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010 01:12:22 PM »

If you burn test your fabric, you could also mention your results..  you can at least tell from that whether or not it's a natural fiber, and whether it's protein-based (like silk and wool) or plant-based. 
This chart helps: http://www.ditzyprints.com/dpburnchart.html
There are various other charts if you Google "burn test chart" or "burn test results" or anything like that. 

Besides care, a lot of people want to know whether it's natural or synthetic, particularly so they know whether it breathes. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010 01:26:45 PM »

I've done burn tests before and they all smell like burnt marshmallows! I don't even bother now. You can pretty much tell if something has synthetic qualities, and what a flame does or a smell won't mean much to your customers. Even the experts say burn tests are inconclusive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maggiedoll
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010 11:28:53 AM »

Even wool smells like burnt marshmallows to you??  I find that very strange.  But when I burn test something, I go more by the ash than the flame itself.   
I wouldn't call burn tests "conclusive" but they usually at least give me some idea about fiber content.  It doesn't tell you exact content, but that doesn't make it useless.  I didn't say to tell customers what the flame looks or smells like, just that you can get a slightly better idea of the content by how it reacts to heat.  It's slightly more objective than going by feel. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shridrea

I am the me I'll be.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010 01:52:35 PM »

I came across the same thing with my stuff. I use yarn, not material though. My solution has been to put information on when I have it. About 80% of the time, I've lost the label to the orphan balls of yarn, so I'll just say "made from mixed fibres, hand wash and lay flat to dry."

It might be a good way for you to label things, then explain them if you can.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was going to take over the world, but then I got distracted by something shiny.
ChrisSews
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010 10:33:40 PM »

You are required by law to but the fiber content on any textile product you sell in the US.

There is an allowance for unknown fiber content.  You can label it "100% unknown fibers XXX" and then fill in what information you do have as XXX.  Such as reclaimed fabric, vintage fabric, secondhand material, etc" 

Here is a good place to start understanding this law. http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bus21-threading-your-way-through-labeling-requirements-under-textile-and-wool-acts#unknown 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my projects, ideas, and swap wish list at...
http://pinterest.com/cmsargent/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...