A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 314,694
Currently Running With Scissors:
140 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: OK....sewing a wedding dress?  (Read 1856 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

mom2garrett
« on: November 11, 2010 07:14:36 AM »

I have been asked to sew a wedding dress for a young friend (26) getting married.  I'm in a bit of a panic about it because she's 5'2" and 357 pounds.  She knows I'm not an expert seamstress, but she knows I sew well enough.  She said she doesn't want something traditional, but I'm worried about the pattern.  From my preliminary research, I'm not finding any patterns that would fit her, so I'm thinking I'm going to end up designing this thing myself.  I think she knows that, and since they have very little money, I'm thinking she thinks she won't find something suitable commercially made, so I'm her best option.  My first thought is to try to find a dress in a similar style at a thrift store to use as the basis for the pattern and go from there.  Anyone have any other suggestions besides the obvious of doing it in muslin first?  Tips for sewing a wedding dress?  Things I can practice?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010 03:01:57 PM »

You could probably ask her if she has a dress that fits well that you could use as a basis, even if you can't cut it up, you can probably still lay it out and trace where the seams are.  Also find out what she wants the dress to look like.  Non-traditional can go in so many different directions!  Something very fitted from neck to ankle is going to be a different animal from a 50's tea-length dress, and different again from an empire-waist Grecian style.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
ThriftyMillennial
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010 06:33:06 PM »

You might be able to adapt a too-small pattern if you use the largest size and sew it up in a nice and thick matt lycra. That type of fabric drapes beautifully, gathers well and can be very stylish. So long as it's not skin tight (bathing suit tight) it's quite forgiving. You can't use lycra for structured pieces like corsets or coats, so if that's the style she is interested in I'd suggest maybe looking for stretch satins and stretch laces instead.

My favourite commercial patterns are by Kahliah Ali (Simplicity), but they might not be to her tastes. My favourite plus size retailer for bridalwear is Igigi, (google them). They also have some super flattering cocktail dresses as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaiser Scissorhands

Why am I sticky & naked? Did I miss something fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010 01:32:02 AM »

I made my dress. It was 2 pieces: A circle skirt and a corset/bustier type top. I used the roethke tute for the top and just drew up a few extra angles for the boobs.

Unless your friend is heart set on a certain type of dress, you may do better with two pieces. you can mix and match styles, giving you a huge amount of options. Also, check out burda styles for cheap or free patterns. They have a pretty decent plus section, and even one plus formal dress. I have quite a collection of their patterns, so feel free to PM me for more info.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Living dangerously.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Plastic Bottle Lanterns
October 17, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Magic Wands

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...