A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,451
Currently Running With Scissors:
183 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Glue guns.  (Read 913 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

thingybob
« on: May 23, 2005 03:36:08 AM »

Hey,

I'm looking to buy a glue gun to help me attach a few bits and pieces to some bags I'm making, but I don't really know what to go for.

What's a reasonable price to pay for a glue gun that I'm  really only going to use for crafts? Also, can anyone explain the difference between "hot melt" and "low melt" ?   Huh

Thankyou!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005 08:08:00 PM »

you can buy the cheaper glue guns for five to ten dollars. There are lots more available for more money too.

Are you thinking of glueing something onto fabric? If that is your intent this might not work so well for you. Most glue gun glues don't last on fabrics.  There are other glues that you get at fabric stores that are more suitable for glueing onto fabrics.

The hot melt glue guns melt at a higher temperature and can melt plastics. (BURN LIKE HELL TOO) There are industrial glue guns out there that are extremely hot.But these will also melt some of your craft items as well.

The low temp ones melt at a lower temperature and work for smaller or finer objects. But they still can burn you. They also make a multi temp glue gun that uses either the hot or low tem glue sticks. This is good because I have sometimes bought the wrong glue sticks for the glue gun that I had.

I also have had several of my glue guns for many years. They do last a long time.
DOes this help at all?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OxMonkey
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005 08:20:04 PM »

All of junquette's info is very good!  I personally prefer the high temp ones only because the other glue cools too quickly and you have less time to "play" with (slightly reposition something, for example)...but that's just me!  I guess it does depend on what you'll be doing.

I bought my mini glue gun for less than two bucks at Wal-mart and it works great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lightninglacey

rock paper scissors

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005 09:05:24 PM »

my glue gun is just a cheap one from WalMart that I got for my wedding, but about a month ago it broke.  I went to Walmart to get another one and found out now they have cordless glue guns! I didn't get that one because I'm cheap, but anyway just thought I'd throw that out there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krazigal72
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005 09:21:58 PM »

lacey- thats awesome! a cordless glue gun would be wicked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
thingybob
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005 03:06:01 AM »

Ahhh yes that's really helpful, thanks guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lusterbunny
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005 09:47:47 AM »

Just to put in my two cents.  I find that craft hot glue guns are horrible.  Your stuff holds together for a little while and then a year later it falls apart.  I use a Hipurformer hot glue melt system from Steinel.  It is so strong, that people use it to build furniture.  Just try that with a regular hot glue gun.  Anyway, its completely amazing, hold up to 2000 pounds per square inch.  Its as easy to use as a regular hot glue gun but far Superior and worth the money.  It is more expensive, you will pay about $90-$100 for a system, but I feel its worth it to not have your work come apart.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my naughty tiles at www.lusterbunny.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Little Bunny Rabbit Toy
Hanging Around
Meatless Monday: Cinnamon Pecan Scones

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...