A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,885
Currently Running With Scissors:
469 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: the Ongoing Offer What You Have Swap is back! - Discussion thread.  (Read 44971 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
greybird
« Reply #390 on: September 07, 2011 10:43:48 AM »

I do apologise for holding up the swap - although I get the feeling it has run out of steam as no one else wants my unenviable position of being held over to next months! If there is anything else that would help you pick me please give me ideas!!!

I wonder if there is a way that this issue could be addressed in future rounds.  I agree with sajona that her position of being in swap limbo for a few months is undesireable.   I think that is one of the reasons the swap stalls so much after a flurry of claims as people are afraid they will get stuck with that position.  

Could the rules be amended so that this problem could be taken care of?   I have a possible idea.  Cheesy

This next upcoming round only:
What if when the swap loses steam and the organizer thinks it might be best to let the swap rest for a few rounds if the organizer finishes up the swap by doing one of two things:
1 - making a claim from the last list and closing the swap
2 - if there is nothing the organizer can use, then maybe the last person on the list could instead craft the organizer a smallish wisty surprise?  Or maybe the organizer could also think of a few themes and then you can craft something using either the wist or the themes?   The themes might be a good way to avoid the "I can't make anything on their wists" problem.   I'm not sure what the size should be... maybe a couple smalls or perhaps one medium?   The swap rules say a claim is in the $5 - $15 dollar range.  

All future rounds:
After this next round, all future rounds, the organizer puts their list up as the first list in the chain.   When the swap shuts down for a few months due to lack of interest, then the organizer completes the chain and shuts down the swap by doing one of two things:
2 - the last listed person crafts a smallish swap package for the organizer (just like above) based on the organizers likes.  

the only real difference between these two is that in the next round the organizer won't be the first person on the list so effectively the would be getting one extra package on this next round only.   I think though that for all the extra effort an organizer goes through and for the peace of mind for knowing that the swap won't be hanging over that last person's head for a few months waiting for the next round to start that it would be worth it.    After this next round, all further round the organizer's list would be first in the chain and then when they finished the chain the number of claims would be equal and fair.  

I know the idea of this swap is to offer what you have, but I would really like the option to craft a swap package if I was the last person on the list in order to neatly tie up the swap.   Smiley   It would also make me far less hesitant to be that last person in the chain.  

More thoughts... I wanted to add that this option to claim the last person on the list by the organizer should be reserved for when its time to close it for a few rounds...not each month.  I think if the swap is going to be open for another round the next month, then the first person in the list should be the last person in the prior round.   The organizer only closes the chain when they are ready to shelve the swap for a bit.  Hope that makes sense.    Smiley

Any thoughts?  

« Last Edit: September 07, 2011 11:07:06 AM by Avesthel » THIS ROCKS   Logged
gavagai
« Reply #391 on: September 17, 2011 11:56:32 AM »

I do apologise for holding up the swap - although I get the feeling it has run out of steam as no one else wants my unenviable position of being held over to next months! If there is anything else that would help you pick me please give me ideas!!!

I wonder if there is a way that this issue could be addressed in future rounds.  I agree with sajona that her position of being in swap limbo for a few months is undesireable.   I think that is one of the reasons the swap stalls so much after a flurry of claims as people are afraid they will get stuck with that position.  

Could the rules be amended so that this problem could be taken care of?   I have a possible idea.  Cheesy

This next upcoming round only:
What if when the swap loses steam and the organizer thinks it might be best to let the swap rest for a few rounds if the organizer finishes up the swap by doing one of two things:
2 - if there is nothing the organizer can use, then maybe the last person on the list could instead craft the organizer a smallish wisty surprise?  Or maybe the organizer could also think of a few themes and then you can craft something using either the wist or the themes?   The themes might be a good way to avoid the "I can't make anything on their wists" problem.   I'm not sure what the size should be... maybe a couple smalls or perhaps one medium?   The swap rules say a claim is in the $5 - $15 dollar range.  

All future rounds:
After this next round, all future rounds, the organizer puts their list up as the first list in the chain.   When the swap shuts down for a few months due to lack of interest, then the organizer completes the chain and shuts down the swap by doing one of two things:
2 - the last listed person crafts a smallish swap package for the organizer (just like above) based on the organizers likes.  

the only real difference between these two is that in the next round the organizer won't be the first person on the list so effectively the would be getting one extra package on this next round only.   I think though that for all the extra effort an organizer goes through and for the peace of mind for knowing that the swap won't be hanging over that last person's head for a few months waiting for the next round to start that it would be worth it.    After this next round, all further round the organizer's list would be first in the chain and then when they finished the chain the number of claims would be equal and fair.  

I know the idea of this swap is to offer what you have, but I would really like the option to craft a swap package if I was the last person on the list in order to neatly tie up the swap.   Smiley   It would also make me far less hesitant to be that last person in the chain.  

More thoughts... I wanted to add that this option to claim the last person on the list by the organizer should be reserved for when its time to close it for a few rounds...not each month.  I think if the swap is going to be open for another round the next month, then the first person in the list should be the last person in the prior round.   The organizer only closes the chain when they are ready to shelve the swap for a bit.  Hope that makes sense.    Smiley

Any thoughts?  

I am not sure that I see the problem here. When I am the organizer and the swap has been resting for a few months, I usually ask the last poster if they are up for another round or would agree to post their list anyway. However, I also try to make clear that they do not in any way have to do so. As an organizer I am happy to post the first list even if it means I will get one claim less.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
muddy21
« Reply #392 on: September 17, 2011 04:49:27 PM »

In the Ongoing ATC Swap the organizer takes the first and last posts each month and in the Ongoing Wish Swap the organizer closes the list at the end of each month and uses the last post from that month to be the first post on the following month.  I think you can choose to do whatever fits the organizer and the swap.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

greybird
« Reply #393 on: September 18, 2011 08:55:36 AM »

I am not sure that I see the problem here. When I am the organizer and the swap has been resting for a few months, I usually ask the last poster if they are up for another round or would agree to post their list anyway. However, I also try to make clear that they do not in any way have to do so. As an organizer I am happy to post the first list even if it means I will get one claim less.

Oh, I didn't realize it was optional for the last poster to rejoin or not.  It sounded like it was mandatory to rejoin and if that were the case, then it would feel like being in swap limbo and that would be undesirable.   Well, in that case I guess there isn't a problem then.   Smiley     Thanks for explaining that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gavagai
« Reply #394 on: September 18, 2011 01:15:12 PM »

Oh, I didn't realize it was optional for the last poster to rejoin or not.  It sounded like it was mandatory to rejoin and if that were the case, then it would feel like being in swap limbo and that would be undesirable.   Well, in that case I guess there isn't a problem then.   Smiley     Thanks for explaining that!

I am not sure now what it says in the rules, but I think it's fair to make the last poster post the first list if the swap goes on to the next month, but that you should not be forced to post months later, being in swap limbo as you call it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gavagai
« Reply #395 on: April 01, 2012 03:04:05 PM »

New Offer What You Have Swap is up! https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=406418.0 Yay! Finally! Come and join!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gavagai
« Reply #396 on: October 04, 2014 02:46:08 PM »

This swap ended ages ago, but just in case some of you are still interested, there is another round coming soon (I hope). Just post here if you might want to join: https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=435905.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Room Divider
Tute Tuesday: Snow Dyeing
Baby, It's Cold Outside

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...