A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 323,326
Currently Running With Scissors:
258 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: make your own embroidery patterns!  (Read 4209 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
adlib
« on: March 11, 2004 11:12:06 AM »

I'm not sure if this works for every printer or not, but I found out by accident that a printout from my HP Laserjet will iron on to light fabric. I was trying to trace it with an iron-on transfer pencil and the black ink ironed on as well, so now I know I won't have to bother with the tracing part. I would imagine a lot of printers would work for this. I haven't tried it on my inkjet, though, because the laserjet worked and it costs less to use.

Of course, you have to have the iron on the HELL setting and it takes a bit longer to transfer. Also, remember to print your image in reverse if it has letters or you want it to transfer a certain way.

-Courtney
THIS ROCKS   Logged
susank
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2004 11:47:26 AM »

thank you thank you thank you!  I can't wait to try this.  I hope it works with inkjet and not just laserjet-- ink seems like it would be easier to transfer than toner...
--susan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peanut
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004 10:24:11 AM »

thank you thank you thank you!  I can't wait to try this.  I hope it works with inkjet and not just laserjet-- ink seems like it would be easier to transfer than toner...
--susan.

Have you tried with an inkjet printout yet?  I'm curious about the results.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Semper in faecibus sumum, sole profundum variat.
stargirl52
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004 12:56:40 AM »

I was tracing a pattern (with a random pen, i was desperate!) printed from my cheapo printer- ink i think- and i turned over to realise it had transfered!
***Georgia***
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want your lungs to stop working without me.

http://georgianess.livejournal.com
robotcricket
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005 10:14:47 AM »

thanks for the tip. it worked really well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peanutbuttanjellay

Craft your life!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005 07:10:24 AM »

Are you all using regular printer paper for this or special transfer paper?  This sounds really cool even though I've never embroidered before.  I would imagine that it's fairly simple.  I'll have to try it now.  Thanks for the inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dyabolica

Gaze into my eyes and submit to my puppy dominion!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005 11:59:23 AM »

I have a lazer jet and an inkjet, it did it with the lazerjet, but not the inkjet, I guess because the lazer is a toner based powder type ink and the inkjet is a wet ink,I was really bored so I went and tested what the lazer printed stuff would transfer onto besides fabric..It worked great on paper and wood as well as the fabric!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

R.I.P Jon 7.15.07 I will never get over losing you!
End the war in Iraq, we have lost enough our
Fathers, Mothers, Sons and Daughters! I won't be on Craftster for a while, I am just not feeling creative.
Chrislea
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2005 01:45:09 PM »

A friend made me a pillow with canvas that she ran through the printer, so I know printers can handle some pretty intense fabrics!  Now I find myself wondering how the original pillow would look with some extra details added on...?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chelsea
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005 01:20:37 PM »

Wow, that's a neat idea.

Before reading dyabolica's post I was thinking it would probably work because of the toner since it seems to smudge all the time anyway.   

I've got an inkjet printer.  Sometimes the ink is still wet if it prints fast enough....maybe you could quickly turn over the paper onto what you will stitch on and try to "stamp" it in a way.  Smiley

Copy machines use toner too don't they?

What a great discovery/accident.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Caramel Candied Apple Salt Scrub
DIY Halloween Costumes
Meal Prep Monday: Fish Tacos with Green Sauce

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...