A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
172 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Romana's Coat (From the Androids of Tara Episode of Classic Dr. Who)  (Read 3371 times)
Tags for this thread: doctor_who  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Britannica
« on: October 29, 2010 01:16:19 PM »

I made this for an event this summer and never got around to posting pictures. Unfortunately, it was a rushed job- I had only a few days to finish it, so it lacks covered buttons on the trim on the shoulders and has only half the correct number down the front. That, and I didn't finish the inside seams nor line it.  And I didn't closely look at the reference photos until after I got the material, so I realized too late that the coat was supposed to be made of velvet with only a little satin. Fortunately for me, the satin I had gotten was crepe backed, so I used the "wrong side" for most of the coat. And now that you know all my dirty secrets, on to the pictures! Tongue

Reference picture
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010 03:37:00 PM »

Well, despite all the 'faults' with it, I instantly recognised it and thought it looked really good! Did you wear it? I'd love to see photos of that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lucyravenscar.etsy.com
lucyravenscar.blogspot.com
lucyravenscar.tumblr.com
Britannica
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010 06:57:35 PM »

Yay! Another classic Dr. Who fan!  Cheesy

I wore it to a costume party, and I do have a few pictures. 

I also made the mask. Posted about here.

Pardon the weird expression. Tongue

The Doctor (my boyfriend) and I. I also made the sonic screwdriver in his shirt pocket, also posted about it months ago.

It was tons of fun assembling the costumes and playing the parts. We were talking about going as cybermen next year, but we'll see how that works out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010 12:23:55 AM »

You both look great! I remember seeing your post about the masks and thinking they were a cool design. The Romana costume is very elegant and comfortable, I'm not sure Cybermen will be though! Romana I was only in six episodes, but I really loved her outfits, both at the time (I wanted to look like her) and now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lucyravenscar.etsy.com
lucyravenscar.blogspot.com
lucyravenscar.tumblr.com
Britannica
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010 09:58:04 AM »

Thanks! Romana I was my favorite companion too, and I love her costumes, particularly this one (although the first one was really dramatic too). I remember reading that in Androids of Tara, she was originally going to wear a brown riding outfit, but it was unsuitable. So the costume department wanted design input from Mary Tamm. They asked what her favorite colors and fabric were and she said purple and turquoise and velvet, and they designed it from there. It makes me like the outfit even more, although it always makes me laugh because in the episode it supposedly is what everyone on Tara wears, but no one else there wears anything like it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...