A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,632
Currently Running With Scissors:
130 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: In which I make mushroom bourguignon (vegetarian or vegan)  (Read 2632 times)
Tags for this thread: mushroom  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: October 23, 2010 06:53:01 PM »

This is a recipe I've made once before. This time I halved it, because I'm the only mushroom eater in the house. I certainly hope it has been posted here before, because the recipe is an amazingly hearty option for mushroom lovers (and it's great for fall or winter cooking), but if you've never seen it, I hope I've made your day!

http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/01/mushroom-bourguignon/

The recipe as posted is vegetarian (if you do veggie broth instead of beef broth, both options are given) but with a few simple substitutions it could be vegan.

The recipe starts with searing portabella mushrooms...

Next, you carefully brown onions, carrots and thyme. I wish I could capture the smell in a photo, it's absolutely out of this world. Then you throw some garlic in at the end.

Deglaze with red wine, and make the sauce. I used veggie bullion and broth from cooking kidney beans to give it some extra depth. The mushrooms go back in and simmer until melty and perfect.

Next, you add pearl onions (go with the frozen ones, seriously) and thicken the sauce. By the way, halving the recipe and using a big pan made moisture control a non-issue for me, but last time I made it my pan was really crowded and it drove me nuts. YMMV. Sour cream or vegan substitute if that's your thing. My chives aren't doing so well, so no garnish! Serve over your choice of noodles.

I know my pictures don't add much, but even the talented creator's photographs don't do justice to the amazing depth of flavor that is achieved here. Bon apetit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

heini
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010 12:08:57 PM »

Thanks! I have to make something similar sooner or later, but I think I'll use gypsy mushrooms, porcini or funnel chanterelles instead of portobellos, because we have picked lots of them from the forest. And serve with some egg-free pasta.

Also, are the pearl onions those small onions that are usually pickled?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010 02:26:32 PM »

Thanks! I have to make something similar sooner or later, but I think I'll use gypsy mushrooms, porcini or funnel chanterelles instead of portobellos, because we have picked lots of them from the forest. And serve with some egg-free pasta.

Also, are the pearl onions those small onions that are usually pickled?

I think they are the same kind of onion, but you wouldn't want to use the pickled ones in this! I've seen them both frozen and fresh, but if they're fresh you have to peel each tiny little onion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

heini
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010 02:14:01 AM »

I think we only have pickled here in my country. Maybe I'll use shallots instead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010 03:45:34 AM »

I think we only have pickled here in my country. Maybe I'll use shallots instead.

Shallots would work, or maybe spring onions or scallions if you have those? Something delicate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

heini
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010 10:22:13 AM »

They'd be imported and expensive this time of year, I'll rather use shallots that we've grown ourselves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010 06:02:55 PM »

Oh wow, that looks amazing! My guy is French and loves Boeuf Bourgignon, but we try not to eat much meat. We both adore mushrooms, I will definitely have to make this!! Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
prairiefire
patchwork princess

Yes, Virginia, Cornflower Blue IS a real color.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011 10:21:34 AM »

*mops up drool*  that, m'lady, is SO on my menu.  Thanks for sharing the recipe!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can dance to the morning light
With my feet on fire
--Volbeat
batgirl
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011 10:49:01 AM »

I forgot to report back, but I made this, and it was maybe the best thing I have ever made! My guy loved it, too! Thanks, again!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meal Prep Monday: Sausage and Veggie Foil Pouch
@Home This Weekend: Doily Display
July 17, 2019 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...