A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 323,318
Currently Running With Scissors:
238 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Freezer paper stencil disaster, please help!  (Read 6541 times)
Tags for this thread: freezer_paper  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
pinupkate
« on: October 17, 2010 10:22:18 PM »

My halloween costume has ground to a halt. I decided to use textile paint on the acetate satin prom dress like I did for my anglerfish costume last year and though I hand painted everything I had no problems. This year I was intending to do Tracy's roach dress from Hairspray:

http://content9.flixster.com/photo/11/76/33/11763379_gal.jpg

All went fine on my test piece of fabric using the iron on freezerpaper stencil technique:

It bled a little, but nothing I couldn't accept, you know? Then I started doing it on the dress and it bled SO MUCH:

It's unsalvageable and I'm beside myself. I already got a new pink dress so now I'm determined to find a paint I can use that won't do this to me (and at least now I have this dress to continue to test on. Will acrylic be thick enough to not seep you think? Anything a little less stiff than acrylic maybe? I would use fabric paint but I can only find it in the store in the tiniest tubes imaginable. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance. I'm so upset, augh.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010 11:19:10 PM by MareMare - Reason: please do not hotlink images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://rosiesmeats.blogspot.com/

Fresh cut meat inspired throw pillows at my etsy: http://rosiesmeats.etsy.com
kitkat_pro
Mender for the destroyer of worlds

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010 11:05:18 PM »

you could try acrylic with fabric paint medium, that might work....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists/Pinterest
Out of the dusk a shadow, Then a spark; Out of the cloud a silence, Then a lark; Out of the heart a rapture, Then a pain; Out of the dead, cold ashes, Life again. ~ John Banister Tabb
Vampira_666
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010 11:07:58 PM »

I'm sorry to hear about this... because it is such an awesome costume!! I also wanted to do this for Halloween this year... but had no idea how to accomplish it... My only suggestion is to use fabric paint... if you have a walmart close to you.. try there- I know the one here sells the larger bottles of fabric paint. I usually use acrylic mixed with a fabric medium also and I've never had any problems with it that way either... or you could always try acrylic paint alone. test a few different techniques and see which works best!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~ Vampira_666 ~*
kimbleshi
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010 11:58:30 PM »

I'd probably try and save the dress you've started - add more blobs of watered down textile paint and have it as a tie-dye (almost) background with roaches on top.

Good luck with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Be kind to yourself

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010 12:04:27 AM »

I would try and salvage the dress too, if you can find matching fabric, you could put a patch over the roach..sew it down well and put fusable interfacing behind the patch.

the best fabric paint imho is the stuff designed for screen printing, it has a jellylike texture and I have never had those kinds of problems.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love a personal swap with you.

www.pinterest.com/edelc
nfirehazzard

Purple monkey dishwashers!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010 05:41:42 AM »

IDK if its the lighting, but I think the method ur using gives the roaches a shadow that makes them look 3d...but that might just be my imagination. The only think I could think of would involve puff paint, 'cause Ive never stenciled before...sorry...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Silvana

Leaving the world more beautiful than I found it.

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010 06:32:45 AM »

What do you mean by textile paint? 
I agree with the posts above that acrylic with textile medium has always worked well for me.

I also agree with the comment about screen printing ink. 

My last question is have you tried going in with detergent and a brush around the bleed area?  If the paint was water based and only the littlest bit of fluid bleed then you might be able to scrub it out. 

Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010 06:33:43 AM »

Puff paint WOULD be less likely to bleed...

But could you block the area around the stencil? I know this makes for a lot of work, but make a reverse stencil and iron that down on the fabric. Then melt down some wax and paint that on over the roach, let it cool, then pain with your normal fabric medium. You'd have to melt the wax off afterwards. Kind of like batiking?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ladypie
My voices dont like you

Hell Yeah!! I can make anything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010 08:37:34 AM »

I would defintely try acrylic paint mixed with medium....But to help too with the bleeding I would make two copies of your freezer paper stencil and iron one on the front and line one up to match on the inside of the dress.....your less likely to have any bleeding. Hope this helps....I'd still try on a test bit of fabric first. Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thenorm02
Crafty Mamma <3

didnt know my whole world would fit in to 8lbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010 10:23:56 AM »

if its a halloween costume and will have limited wear you could try spray paint maybe?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Caramel Candied Apple Salt Scrub
DIY Halloween Costumes
Meal Prep Monday: Fish Tacos with Green Sauce

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...