A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 314,517
Currently Running With Scissors:
196 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ag Art Competition Entry  (Read 9866 times)
Tags for this thread: dress , costume , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

farmgirljane
« on: October 17, 2010 02:57:56 AM »

Hi Craftsters, Been a long while since I was here but thought I would share my latest crafting effort with you.  I entered the following garment into the Elmore Ag Art competition that was held at the start of this month.  Some clarification on that last sentance may be needed. Elmore is a country town in Victoria Australia. Ag Art, is a wearable art garment made from items found around or produced on the farm.  There are quite a few Ag Art shows held at different agricultural shows in Victoria, NSW and SA.  All the winners from these smallers shows gather at Elmore for the Australian Nationals on the afternoon of the last day of the show.

My garment Renewal, shows the ending of the ten year drought that has stricken our area, with the rain coming from the clouds (headpiece) and filling the rivers, and water flowing over the dry drought affected earth and turning it green, flowers regrowing etc.  It is constructed from shade cloth, milk filters, tails paint and blue hayband.  There must be over 1000 seperate pieces on the train alone.  It took me approx 5 weeks to complete.

There are three different sections to show in, under 21, Designer and Avante Gaurde.  Renewal was entered into the Designer section of the Elmore Show, and won - WOW.  It then went on to compete in the national show in the afternoon against several other garments and won there as well - Double WOW - so now I am over to New Zealand in June next year to compete against top designers over there.  I had no expectations of being a major winner as this was the first time I had entered and there where so many wonderful/beautiful garments on show.

I am now hooked and have started on next years entries, found out I can do two garments in each section - designer and avante guarde -  so will have plenty of time to fine tune any mistakes or design flaws.  If anyone in Australia is interested in finding out more feel free to send a PM.  Anyway hope you enjoyed my story and the pics

THIS ROCKS   Logged
onegroovyday
Tutorial Contributor

"UNLESS"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010 05:20:08 AM »

WOW.... just amazing..... CONGRATS! on being the winner, and good luck......the train is wonderful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010 05:51:17 AM »

Uh, WOW! That's about all I can say. I love the idea of Ag Art - let's put a stop to that idea that farmers aren't creative. And even more I love that there's an international Ag Art competition! Is it only Australia and NZ, or do other countries send entries?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

twosteelhooks
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010 07:13:57 AM »

Wow, this is ABSOLUTELY incredible.  I was in love with it already, and then saw the pic of the back.  GORGEOUS.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010 07:23:01 AM »

Amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We can have anything we want, because we can make it." - RovingAnarchist

http://ernestthesiger.org/
http://immenseminiatures.com/
Luna1375
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010 07:31:59 AM »

That is so beautiful, and perfectly evokes the story of drought and renewal. It actually makes me tear up a bit, because you can really see the story in that dress. I'm not a farmer, don't live in Australia, but looking at this makes me feel like I can share in that joy and relief when the rains finally came. All of that just from a dress, no wonder you won, it's amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
glasstapper
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010 09:20:26 AM »

This is absolutely creative and gorgeous, and the back of it is just amazing! Definitely hitting 'this rocks'!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
farmgirljane
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010 08:37:35 PM »

And even more I love that there's an international Ag Art competition! Is it only Australia and NZ, or do other countries send entries?

My understanding is - The gentleman who started the Ag Art movement in NZ over ten years ago is trying to get other countries involved.  Would be great to have entrants from all over the world.  If anyone is interested in hosting an Ag Art show please contact me and I can get the  contact information for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheBeldam

Wait! I'm confused.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010 09:03:51 PM »

Oh wow. That is breath-taking.  I can only imagine the hours and hours you spent on it.  Congratulations on winning! You definitely deserved it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

But why is the rum gone?
louhi
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010 12:56:40 PM »

This rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Everybody Poops.
Meatless Monday: Crockpot Pumpkin Apple Oatmeal and Leftover Oatmeal Cookies
@Home This Weekend: Macramé Plant Hangers

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...