A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,457
Currently Running With Scissors:
168 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help on archival quality of materials?  (Read 593 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

shayneblate08
Craft-aholic and not looking to quit!

Crafty Weirdo and Proud of it!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: October 12, 2010 09:25:02 PM »

I'm looking to create a scrapbook of me and my boyfriend. I want this thing to last for at least my lifetime.

Because I like to talk a lot, I have BOLDED the actual question part among my ranty explaining.

No offense to ANYONE honestly, but I really don't want scrapbook paper, typical scrapbooking section supplies, or martha-stewart-looking-pages... that stuff is fine and it looks nice for other people but it is not my style.
I have been making altered books and journals since I was 12 but have always burned them, so I didn't care about archival quality before... but the altered book and messy passionate look is what I'm going to be shooting for with this scrapbook. I'll actually save this one though... no burning Wink

Since I'm a fibers major and literally obsessed with fabric and handmade paper, I was planning on using a combination of hand-pulled cotton and abaca paper as well as regular cardstock. I do realize its a lot of extra work, but I'm an art major, i.e. weird. I also might be painting on the cardstock itself and I'm guess acrylic is the most archival/easy to use?

My idea then was to stitch on the photos (like an exaggerated zigzag or decorative stitch) instead of gluing them on, as stitching would probably last longer, and add the flair I'm looking for.

But as far as extra embellishments go, what kind of glue should I be using? I don't want to spend a huge amount of money on the stuff, but I do care to use adhesive that won't damage my photos and memorabilia, as well as adhesive that lasts and holds a long time.

Finally, I have all the photos digitally on my computer, but am at a loss to whether to get them printed as matte or regular gloss photos. Which lasts longer? I know gloss has glare, but matte doesn't show the color as well.
If it helps, I will be going through walgreens to print up all my photos, because I have no access to a color printer.

Thanks! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Cute Crib Sheets
April 24, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Toiletry Bag

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...