A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Jingle bells, jingle bells, it's time to show off your TREE!  Show off your flocking and garland with us this year.
Total Members: 314,811
Currently Running With Scissors:
265 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What name do these little pillow things go by?  (Read 1173 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
« on: October 05, 2010 12:24:23 PM »

Ok, there must be a formal name that these things go by besides 'little pillow thingy'.

I did not make these, they are very random pictures I found while searching the web for something else.

Does anyone know what their actual name is? I know I've seen people post some here before, but golly, I cannot recall what they are called. They normally have a weird-ish shape to them, and I've often seen them beaded.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010 01:26:41 PM »

They are called Biscornu. Smiley
Here is a link to show you how to do them too...must scroll down a bit
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010 01:28:11 PM by HistoricalNeedle » THIS ROCKS   Logged

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010 02:51:40 PM »

Ah, yes, thank you! I knew they had a special name.
Would these be normally used as pincushions? Anything else they are used as?
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010 04:43:19 PM »

You can do them all christmas like for a tree decoration.
Not sure what people use them for- I guess pin cushions.
I think they are too pretty to stick needles into!!
Could stitch alot of them and put them into a bowl for decoration too!!

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010 11:07:25 AM »

It's called a biscornu. A biscornu is a small, 8-sided, stuffed ornamental pincushion, usually made out of Aida cloth or linen. Embroidery or cross-stitch is used to decorate the top and bottom of the cushion. A button is typically secured in the center of the cushion to give a small depression on the top. Beads, tassels  and other objects can decorate the biscornu. They are typically able to fit in the palm of your hand. The name is derived from a French adjective, meaning skewed, quirky or irregular.  It's basically just another way to show off your hard work without having to frame it. Smiley

Here are some websites that may help:




HTH! Smiley

Edited to add: The one that is pictured is by The Sweetheart Tree and it is called Spring Blossoms Biscornu (http://thesweethearttree.com/cgi-bin/detail.pl?BP-09-). It can be purchased here: http://www.123stitch.com/cgi-perl/itemdetail.pl?item=SV-BP9
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010 11:10:56 AM by Archangeldecker » THIS ROCKS   Logged


Respectfully submitted,


"How often have I said that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?" Sherlock Holmes

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Fabric Beads
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Quilted Scissors Cozy
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Brigaderios

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

Copyright ©2003-2017, Craftster.org an Internet Brands company.