A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 315,057
Currently Running With Scissors:
147 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 97
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Embroidery Hoopla Round 2! (SignUp CLOSED, SendOut 11/15/10)  (Read 94014 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

sazzra

You have vampire in your cleavage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #470 on: October 16, 2010 06:24:13 AM »

I've got loads of ideas for one of my partners, just waiting to hear from the other then I'm off. I'm right in thinking it's 4 or 6 inch, right?  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No longer swapping, so please ignore any expressions of interest in the Ideas thread

Heavens defend me from that Welsh fairy, lest he transform me to a piece of cheese!
peihan17
« Reply #471 on: October 16, 2010 07:44:34 AM »

I really, really need to learn the french knot.

I use the tutorial here: http://handembroiderynetwork.blogspot.com/2009/09/stitch-day-french-knots.html

If you scroll down, on the left is a list of tutorials for all kinds of stitches.  It's awesome Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pro personal swaps and always open to a penpal!  PM me =)

Wist :: Etsy :: Flickr
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #472 on: October 16, 2010 08:26:42 AM »

Lets see, on my last embroidery project I used many different stitches.

Split chain, French knot, wrapped, satin, back stitch and stem stitch.

I also love seed stitch, St. Charles cross and regular chain.

None of this makes me an expert though. I have just been doing this for a while and reading everything I can get my hands on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiakelA
Summer is finally here again!

Wit beyond measure...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #473 on: October 16, 2010 10:50:33 AM »

Haven't heard from my partner yet, and I'm not sure what to make. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyOctober
« Reply #474 on: October 16, 2010 10:59:22 AM »

I really, really need to learn the french knot.

It helps to watch a video of someone doing it, because I have found that most written directions leave out a very important thing to note when making a French knot. Before, I always held my needle toward the fabric when I wrapped the thread around it, but the thread would just unwind before I pulled the needle and thread all the way through to the other side. Then I watched a video on Youtube, and I realized you have to hold your needle UP, away from the fabric, when you wrap the thread around it. Then, it can't go anywhere when you turn the needle around to stick it through the fabric. Videos totally help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a Craftster Best of 2011 Winner!

Yup, definitely not hipster enough for Craftster.
Tadiera
Heroic-Leigh

Superhero With No Powers or Motivation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #475 on: October 16, 2010 11:05:48 AM »

Jenny's tutorial on Sublime Stitching is the one I learned french knot from and mine turn out beautiful about half the time now. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Site: http://www.heroic-leigh.com
Wist: http://wists.com/tadiera
Pintrest: http://www.pintrest.com/tadiera
Note for partners: I have gauged ears, so classic earrings don't really work for me. Smiley
teachart
« Reply #476 on: October 16, 2010 11:13:20 AM »

Here's the french knot video I used to learn: http://www.needlenthread.com/2006/11/french-knot-video-tutorial.html
It's awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alorralora
« Reply #477 on: October 16, 2010 01:14:30 PM »

For the n00bs: even though there's a lot of fancy, cool stitches out there... I've been finding most people who embroider end up using a lot of standard ones. Myself, I use primarily split stitch, back stitch, and satin stitch. Mind, I wouldn't call myself an expert or anything, but I tried for a while to see just how many stitches I could use... I still learn all the fancy ones, but in my actual embroider, I use mostly those three. Cheesy

well, there is a lot of fancy stuff out there, but there are quite a lot of variations of the standard stuff, too, so it looks like something new and unique, but it's just the same old stitch with a twist.  those are fun, and very easy to do once you get the basics mastered.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIST it up babee...WIST and shout!!
http://www.wists.com/alorralora
onegroovyday
Tutorial Contributor

"UNLESS"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #478 on: October 16, 2010 02:41:05 PM »

well... I hurt my foot, and refuse to go to the hospital, will have to wait till Monday and call my foot Dr.......did the same thing about a year and a half ago, and yep, it was broken.... (little breaks above my toes, not horrid).... don't feel bad for me, that's not while I am saying it.... I am looking on the positive side... I woke up this morning at 6am, sat right down on my chair with my cup of coffee... and started stitching, just taking a break for some food, which I have forgotten until now......12 hours of stitching... pure heaven!

and on the different stitch conversation.... today I have only used backstitch, splitstitch and a little bit of somekind of a fill in stitch .... the good and faithful!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheSapphireMoon
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's like a vacation for the mind, to leave the body behind...

Rockin' the baubles all around town...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #479 on: October 16, 2010 03:23:00 PM »

I have an embroidery of a coral that I received in STS and it is done ENTIRELY in french knots.  I can't even imagine the time that must've taken Shocked  I learned how to do a french knot...FINALLY...by watching She's Crafty when she had the lady that founded Sublime Stitching on doing some little projects I think?  I tried to figure it out when I learned cross stitch back when I was 13 or 14, and just couldn't figure it out until recently.

OGD, again??!?  What happened?  *worried* Undecided

I'm about to scope out my partner's info and see if what I've picked will work...and if so, I'm going to pick colors and take things to work to get started tomorrow.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010 03:25:11 PM by TheSapphireMoon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 97 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Designated Cutting Boards
Tute Tuesday: Altered Journal Page
Magic and Luck

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...