A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 313,730
Currently Running With Scissors:
205 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mermaid costume fit for a pirate party!!  (Read 3606 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
Moxy Fire
« on: September 22, 2010 10:44:38 PM »

I attend a pirates and faeries event every labour day weekend and we always have a pirate party on the Sunday night.  I usually dress as a Viking, but this year i wanted to be a bit more girly.  I had no idea what to do until i went to this Indian fabric shop for some scarves and found this beautiful sequined fabric.  Immediately i thought MERMAID!! and bought a meter for only 10 bucks!!

i bought 2 sequin appliques and some shimmy fringe and more sequin trim for another 15 bucks.  Then i went home and sacrificed one of my fave bras (which was on it's way out) and started to pin the stuff to my dress form Sue Ellen.  This is what i came up with:

I did a lot of hand sewing (which I HATE doing) for the bra and omitted a few pieces of trim.  for the tail i used my sewing machine and stuffed it with cotton batting and sewed a piece of fabric on the inside to hold it all in.  I used non-rolling elastic for the waistband. The sequin fabric was VERY heavy and i needed it to keep the tail from falling down.

The fins are made out of two wire coat hangers that i bent into shape and sewed covers out of 4-way stretch fabric.  Adding the shimmy fringe and the sequin trim on the tail cost me 6 broken machine needles but i think it was totally worth it.  For the event i went burlesquey with red lips and some purple flowers in my hair.  Here are some photos of me in the finished product:

later outside with a shawl (it was really cold!!)

Back view:

This was by far one of the most time consuming to make and most fun to wear costumes that i have made to date.  

I went to another pirate event a week later - more photos:

Hope you like it! Let me know what you think or if you have any questions!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013 07:21:35 PM by meleriffic - Reason: changed non-working images to links » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"My work is not fantasy; it's not a retreat to anywhere.  It's actually a way to re-focus on reality."
-Brian Froud
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010 12:10:51 AM »

This is awesome great job.

Take time to make time for yourself.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010 02:20:40 AM »

Uttterly cool! Well done!

"Hi, my name is Smallhold and I compulsively collect looms."
"Hi Smallhold."
Psycho Sue
Vintage Rock N Roll Vixen

~vintage junky and local rock star~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010 03:47:47 AM »

Shocked holy crap, you are awesome! the costume is so creative and really well made-looking! LOVES!

I live where hens catch mice and cats lay eggs

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010 04:24:48 AM »

I love it! you have total mermaid hair and i love the way you created the tail, instead of making a whole constrictive fish tail skirt

Waxing Lyrical and Tripping the Light Fantastic
Moxy Fire
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010 05:26:40 PM »

Thanks!  It was a bit of a challenge to make the opening for my legs just right so that it wasn't baggy, but sill have enough room for me to walk comfortably.

"My work is not fantasy; it's not a retreat to anywhere.  It's actually a way to re-focus on reality."
-Brian Froud
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010 12:59:36 PM »

That's pretty awesome Cheesy I love how you made the tail
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010 09:21:51 AM »

So cool!!!!!!!!!! I love it! You should wear it to every event, not just pirate ones!

Life is confusing, just when you think it's over it throws you a view like this and you don't know where you are.
- Evy in Driving Lessons
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
March 21, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Corgi Puppy!
Bunny Wannabes

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...