A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: The December Craft Challenge has been announced. Read all of the details here and get to crafting!
Total Members: 314,948
Currently Running With Scissors:
221 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pesto Chicken and Pesto Corn. Pesto all the Time  (Read 1293 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , chicken  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

TheFanatic
« on: September 20, 2010 12:17:12 PM »

I loves me some pesto.  Not sure why, but the stuff is addictive to me.  My preferred method of eating it is on lamb.  But with all the bills rolling in from the birth of my son, lamb is not on the menu.  But I still wanted the pesto so I decided to try it on chicken as well as on naked corn.  I was really impressed with the results. 

Full write up is here with the pics every step of the way. 

And the teaser pics:

And the full write up to avoid having to go to the link:

Im a big, big fan of pesto.  Its so simple yet so addictive.  Pesto is basil, garlic, pine nuts, parmesian cheese and olive oil.  You can make your own, or, if you have as little time as I do, buy it premade.  Ive used pesto before on the grill with lamb that it pairs so well with.  And while I was longing for the lamb, Im also paying some pretty hefty medical bills for the birth of my second son and couldnt afford the pricy lamb.  But I still had the craving for the pesto so I decided to try it on chicken.  And, if any more medical bills role in, I might have to change the name of the site to BrokeAssGrillinFools.com

First, I brined chicken thighs.  I brine, and so should you, for three very specific reasons:

The salt in the brine forces water from the brine into the meat so the meat is juicier
The salt in the brine begins to break down the connective tissues so the meat is more tender
And when adding flavorizers to the brine, the liquid that goes from the brine into the meat, makes the meat more flavorful.
Juicier, more tender, and tastier Id say those are pretty good reasons to brine, eh?  And since it takes the same amount of time to brine as it does to marinade, I cant see why you wouldnt brine every time.

The basic premise for the brine is one cup of salt per gallon of fluid.  My standard brine is apple cider, salt, garlic and black pepper.  For this I put 1/4 cup of salt into a ziplock:

Then two cups of apple cider:

Then mix the solution up to get the salt to dissolve.  After that, add three cloves of minced garlic, 10 turns of black pepper and the chicken thighs.  I brined the chicken for about five hours, although I normally go overnight.

After sparking up the chimney, I removed the meat from the brine, and rinsed the liquid off.  Rinsing the brine off is very important, otherwise the meat can be too salty.

I put the meat skin side down and spread the pesto over the bottom of the chicken.  The rest will go on when I get the chicken on the grill:

he reason I waited to put the rest of the pesto on, is that if I flip these thighs over and put pesto on the other side, most of the pesto here will stick to the cutting board.  So put them on the grill, skin side up, and slather the other side:

The chicken in the back is some Apple Pumpkin Chicken that I will post shortly.  They were inspired by my Apple Pumpkin Ribs.

Here you can see the chicken on one side and the coals on the other side along with a couple chunks of apple wood:

30 minutes in at 250 degrees:

The pesto is browning up and losing a lot of the oil which is basting the meat, so I slathered some more on:

After 60 minutes at 250 they werent done yet, but I had hungry people so I had to speed up the process.  Rather than let them smoke for another 30-45 minutes, I stoked up my dying fire:

And put the chicken right over the heat to finish them off:

After I seared the chicken on each side I pulled it off to the side and got the corn ready.  This is a modified version of the naked corn I did in this post.  Rather than cook it in the husk, like Ive done for years, I shucked the corn and made up a compound butter of salted butter, garlic, tarragon, and oregano that I brush onto the corn repeatedly as I grill it over direct heat:

Thats what I did for four of the ears, but the fifth, I slathered in pesto:

I wasnt sure that the basil pesto would be any good on the corn, so I didnt want to inflict it on my family if it wasnt.

Naked corn requires constant attention as the butter or the oil from the pesto will cause flare ups.  Dont stress out about the flames.  Let them go for a little bit.  The charring from the flames adds a sweetness you cant get if the corn is in the husk:

Heres the pesto chicken, along with the apple pumpkin chicken, and some of the corn:

The pesto chicken was outstanding as was the corn.  I will definitely do this again when Im jonesing for some pesto and cant afford the lamb.  This is an excellent substitute.  I may need to try it with some pork chops.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Uglykids
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010 02:11:25 PM »

YUM! This weekends dinner! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
punkyflossy

Call me Katie (:

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010 03:05:30 PM »

Looks delicious Smiley

I've only ever heard of pesto used in pasta, so this is an eyeopener Smiley
Might try it if I ever have a friends over bbq, which will have to wait until next year because summer has definitely gone over here ;p

THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheFanatic
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010 07:29:49 AM »

Looks delicious Smiley

I've only ever heard of pesto used in pasta, so this is an eyeopener Smiley
Might try it if I ever have a friends over bbq, which will have to wait until next year because summer has definitely gone over here ;p

Why do you need to wait till next summer to grill.  Grilling in the cold weather makes more sense than doing it in the summer. When it's 95 degrees outside, building a fire and standing near it sucks.  When it's 45 degrees outside, standing next to a hot grill is a good thing...  I do much more grilling in the colder months than warmer ones...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2018: Bibs from Old Shirts
Meatless Monday: Dairy-Free Chocolate Cake with Vegan Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2018: Mondrian Inspired Tri-Shutter Card

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...