A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,771
Currently Running With Scissors:
154 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Cat from Outer Space  (Read 5184 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
hollyrh
« on: September 20, 2010 06:22:30 AM »

My son wanted "The Cat from Outer Space" as the theme for his 6th birthday party so of course I had to make him "Jake," the cat/star of the movie. (for those who are unfamiliar with it, it's a 1978 Disney movie. My husband had fond memories of it, and our son has been obsessed with it since we watched it this summer).
 I found a free pattern for a sitting kitten http://dollmaker.nunodoll.com/cat/ragdoll.html   by Runo Dollmaker, but that seemed too small and squat, so I enlarged the pattern in Photoshop so it was 150 percent taller. I think I could've gone with a bit less height since the end result is sort of oddly stretched out, but I was just glad all the pieces still fit together fairly well after I tinkered with the pattern. This was my first experience using plastic stuffed animal eyes (hence the crooked placement) and my first jointed stuffed animal (the head swivels).

More pictures, including the spaceship cake my husband made, on my blog.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Two of my projects were chosen as Craftster Best of 2008! More tutorials at my blog: Stitch/Craft Creations
sazzra

You have vampire in your cleavage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010 07:57:40 AM »

He's gorgeous, and is the spit of one of mine! Well done - and those eyes are a nightmare, I avoid them whenever possible Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No longer swapping, so please ignore any expressions of interest in the Ideas thread

Heavens defend me from that Welsh fairy, lest he transform me to a piece of cheese!
tendstowardschaos
'Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools.' - N. Bonaparte

Motivated by the desire to achieve.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010 08:23:05 AM »

He's great! Cheesy What an awesome gift! What did you use for his collar? It looks so much like the one from the movie. (Loved this movie when I was a kid!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hollyrh
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010 09:06:24 AM »

Thanks! The collar is made from vinyl tubing for plumbing from Home Depot filled with clear pony beads from the craft store. VERY easy. I used a wooden skewer to make it easier to insert the beads into the tube. To attach the ends of the tubing together, cut a small piece of slightly larger tubing and stick the ends of the collar in it. (for example, if your collar tubing has an outside diameter of 1/2", use a small piece of tubing with an INSIDE diameter of 1/2" to hold the ends together)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Two of my projects were chosen as Craftster Best of 2008! More tutorials at my blog: Stitch/Craft Creations
Raventhistle

Yes Jareth, Rly.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010 11:15:39 AM »

That's awesome!  Grin  I have the movie, too, and remember watching it when I was little. Is the collar detachable? I'd make another one with bright green pony beads for when he's using his powers Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*bodyshields her boxes of fabric* no no no...I -need- all of this. I'll use it -someday-!
hollyrh
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010 12:15:11 PM »

Yes, the collar is detachable if you really tug on the tubing, or you can squish his head and slide the collar off. I was trying to think of a way to make it glow, maybe by inserting a glow stick in the beads, but I ran out of time before the big birthday!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gotgrey
You are, which ever beast you choose to feed

Right and wrong are just words, it's what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010 05:47:22 AM »

Very cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010 11:47:10 AM »

What an awesome gift! Well done, you! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amigurl55

Too. Many. Hobbies.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010 09:11:43 AM »

I love it!  It looks really life-like!  On another note, I also really like the t-shirts you made for the party.  And your husband did an awesome job on the cake!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Clothespin Frame
Say "Cheese(burger)!"
Meal Prep Monday: Crockpot White Chili with Chicken

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...