A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
184 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday 9/17/2010  (Read 4819 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
sarahj2001
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 17, 2010 10:04:56 AM »

Nobody posted anything yet?!  It is Friday, right?  Well...I guess I'll start!

I finally spun up some of my fiber I got at the Michigan Fiber Festival. 

And I finally spun some fiber from Freestyle...I've been hoarding everything I ever claimed from her in STS!  This one was called Queen of Hearts...it has lots of pretty shiny-ness to it.

And this was some fiber from loves2experiment that I just got this week!  I'm doing good not hoarding anymore!! Smiley  I spun this the day I got it in the mail!  Smiley

So...my husband bought me a whole bunch of just plain white stuff for Christmas last year and he's been bugging me to dye it.  So...I also did this yesterday...this was my first attempt at dying.  I just used kool-aid since I guess that's where you start Smiley  Um..the wool in the middle is different stuff...I don't think it's carded?  I don't know...I just kinda pulled it so it would be kinda straight and dyed it.  I'm actually pretty happy with these....I thought it wasn't going to work as well.  Smiley  I'm really anxious to spin these but I must wait for them to dry....grrr Smiley

Then...this one was from last week...jexxican mentioned that it might look pretty dyed...soooo while I was dying stuff, I attempted this.  It didn't quite turn out right or something.  I think it was because I didn't turn it or something...only the yarn on the bottom of the bowl got the dye.  I think I'm going to try it again...it shouldn't mess it up any worse, right? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loves2experiment
Swap Moderator
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator

Irreverent. Indomitable. Incorrigible.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010 10:58:54 AM »

Awesome handspun and dyed fiber!  I can see we have you hooked sarahj2001 Cheesy

I did a bunch of dyeing as well...but I need to take pictures!  Hopefully I'll get that done before the end of today Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loves to experiment...not a monogamous crafter...

STS Winter Market 2019
jexxican
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010 12:43:36 PM »

Well, Sarah, it's definitely an interesting variegated on that b&w.
I really like the first one. I want to squish it. looks like candy.
And it looks to me like you have the dying thing down. Rad! Love them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
email4i
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010 01:34:29 PM »

Hi, love your wool. I want the reds so delicious
I have dyed a little bit of wool but I see that yours looks like its drafted before you dye it.Is that how you do it?
I just carded up some and dyed it and then I laid it on towels to dry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikschaf
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010 02:12:50 PM »

Gorgeous stuff!! 

You know, I really love how the dye job turned out on that last yarn -- it's actually my favorite pic!  And the colors in that first yellow and turquoise yarn are reminding me of some kind of yummy childhood treat, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Great work!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Slingmomma
Crafty Esthetician!

Accessory hoarder.... scarves beware!

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010 02:35:56 PM »

I'm in love with the first yarn sarahj!

I also completely forgot today is Friday so I better get my pictures uploaded so you can see the yummy yarn I spun and the fun I had with KoolAid!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A Spinners Magic Yarn ball! Join us!
Fat Quarter swap-almost done craft for sloth003 Cheesy
IYP 17-deadbathducky waiting still to receive!
Sew/Yarn v's Paper-got my partners!
Slingmomma
Crafty Esthetician!

Accessory hoarder.... scarves beware!

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010 03:03:17 PM »

Here's my Fibre Friday contributions this week!!!

First up is some handspun yarn by Jexxican that I finally got around to dying with Kool Aid:

This was right after dyeing...and then.....

Its so stripy! Its a lovely squishy thick and thin and I love how well the colours cam out!

Then this is some Superwash Merino and firestar that freestyle sent me. I added a little more firestar to it to give it a little more sparkle and then plied it with purple thread! I LOVED spinning this fibre, it was soooo nice and soft and took the spin so well! I can't wait to see how the rest of my fibre turns out!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A Spinners Magic Yarn ball! Join us!
Fat Quarter swap-almost done craft for sloth003 Cheesy
IYP 17-deadbathducky waiting still to receive!
Sew/Yarn v's Paper-got my partners!
SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010 06:27:04 PM »

sarahj2001 - Love all of your yarns. I actually think that the greyish one with the dying "issue" is cool. It would make something good for a guy. Like some stripes in a hat or something. It would be cool for weaving too! That could be interesting to see how the colors shape up. I really love the blue though. It reminds me of candy.

Slingmomma - Love it! Kool Aid is God's invention. I never thought about how much I'd use it for stuff OTHER than drinking! lol

I have a few yarns. I can't remember if I've shared them but I don't think I have.

On the bobbin, in progress yarn: chartreuse green, soft and luscious merino fiber from WC Mercantile "The best little yarn shop in Texas!" LOL It really is GREAT fiber though. I recommend them. I'd love to visit their shop!! Who knows, since I live down here I may go visit one day. Anyhoo, I LOVE this yarn. I'm going to make mittens or fingerless gloves out of them.

Bamboo fiber from The Fiber Lady. She dyed this fiber. I bought it at the DFW Fiber Fest last year. It has tones of pinks, blues and silvery greys.

This one is a wool roving that I received from penguino in a fiber swap. It really is lovely, like berries!

and....

A medium thick wool yarn that was dyed by Craftster's Nesse. I bought it from her in STS

That is all! Wink
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011 03:41:53 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homespun gifts for your friends and family!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/shallwespinmydear
Will be posting more items soon. Check back!
freestyle
aka ModernSpin

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010 06:41:09 PM »

Yay sarahj!! Work that wool!  Cheesy  Love the yarns and great job for your first dyeing attempt!

Slingmomma loved the plied yarn! You are making progress in leaps and bounds!

SewMamaLady, I looove the second pic. Those colors are so gorgeous.

Here's some yarn I spun up this week for oneredboot as a custom Shop the Swap claim. This pic was taken before it was washed- please excuse the leader yarn and ties.

And my latest dyed Merino roving, "Starburst".

« Last Edit: September 17, 2010 06:42:21 PM by freestyle » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarahj2001
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010 07:39:16 PM »

Slingmomma - Pretty kool-aid yarn!!

Freesytle - I LOVE that "Starburst" ....you should add some more of your stuff to your STS shop ...I've been saving my points..lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...