A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
NOVEMBER NEWS: Did you vote for the best DIY costume yet?
Total Members: 314,818
Currently Running With Scissors:
151 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Itsy Bitsy Wailord [pokedoll] -lots o' pics-  (Read 2169 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Badgermole
Big&Bad

hates wolfbats but loves the sound.

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2010 10:50:59 AM »

Yola!
Well, this plush is my first that actually looks like what it's modeled after. [and the first I've made it years.] It's a wailord, from pokemon!
there's a long story behind me making the doll, that I kinda find funny.

For the convention I'm attending, I will be cosplaying a Magma Grunt, also from pokemon. After I finished the costume, I felt like making a matching pokemon... but I didn't know which... So I consulted the only place for advice: Facebook! My dad, who has no interest in the games and thinks pokemon is rather stupid, comes up to me later and says: "Make a life-size Wailord or Gyarados!" [he didn't know how to say gyarados, so I was confused a second] If no one realizes it, wailord is the biggest pokemon ever, and would be bigger than two houses. Would be incredibly impossible to recreate in plush form. My sister and I explained that to him, but he still got a kick out of that. Again I go to facebook and share this gag with friends, and two of them are like "I want one!" One of those two actually said she'll pay for it, which got me to making it. [I won't actually charge her for it. More like a B-day gift] And that's what it's left to.

enough story telling, and off to the goods!

for starters, in order to get the shape down, I made a plain whale. He had an "x" blowhole, but I remembered the picture taking after I removed it from the ref.]
whale-y whale
I added the extra fins and painted the details after that, and redid the eyes for my big sister said they should be on the sides instead of the middle. Here he is finished!
the top

and then the bottom

he's made of felt and what I assume is a jersey t-shirt type material... [whatever I found around the house.] The body is machine stitched, everything else is by hand. Hand painted also. [btw, paint on felt takes forever to dry!] The white spots on his tummy are from when I tried to fix what smeared of the black. [cuz I am very impatient when crafting, and tend to rush the things that take time... very bad habit.] I thought it may blend, but it didn't. D: ah well.
I may or may not make another for the other friend, again as a b-day present. I'll probably be the right color, if I can find the right color felt.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010 02:04:29 PM by Badgermole » THIS ROCKS   Logged
beavisfreak
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010 07:10:38 PM »

Awwww!  Looks at his belly! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

weasels vs. birds!!!
happyface:)
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011 08:49:23 PM »

Alright this is freaking awesome!
WARNING I'M ABOUT TO SOUND LIKE A COMPLETE DORK!
I'm in my school's Pokemon Battle Club and there's this guy, lets call him Steve, that has been trying really hard to trade another guy, Joe, for his Wailord. Well I wanted Steve's Typhlosion prime and Joe kept teasing him about having the Wailord but Joe wasn't going to trade. (The only reason Joe kept doing this was to stall Steve from making the trade with me because I had to battle Joe in the tournament). I eventually got Steve to trade so I think, since he's been wanting a Wailord forever, I'm going to make this for him. lol Sorry that was a long story.
But this is really awesome! Keep up the great work and I can't wait to see more stuff on the website by you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Jewelry Art
November 14, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cupcake Bath Bombs

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...