A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Want to join a Craft swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 321,372
Currently Running With Scissors:
267 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Another Whirl Away Dress :D  (Read 6833 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: September 11, 2010 03:20:15 PM »

I know this dress has been done to death, but not by me!

About 7 years ago, I bought some really nice red and white gingham with a slight stretch to it ("Shut up, Mom! It's not a table cloth!")
I let it sit, looking for the right pattern to make a pretty dress. Then, I saw the Whirl Away Dress here on Craftster, and knew that was what it needed to become.
I tried for a while to get my hands on the pattern, but no luck, so I eventually turned to eBay and bought a copy there Smiley
Then, I let it all sit for another year or so, before finally sitting down with everything and putting it together...

Here's the pics: (my way awesome boyfriend let me use his sewing machine and took pictures too!)

And a couple gratuitous twirl shots (excuse the sideways one...I rotated it, but it doesn't stick?)

Comments/etc always welcome Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Myrdda
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying. - Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010 04:27:09 PM »

this is lovely, and you did such a good job! I'm decidedly pear shaped, but I wish I could wear this - it's such a friendly print.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SWAPS:
Geeky Swap - sent

My Wists! www.wists.com/Myrdda
My Pinterest! www.pinterest.com/Myrdda
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010 04:34:13 PM »

A boyfriend with a sewing machine!  Wow, you are one lucky girl!   Cheesy  The dress looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We can have anything we want, because we can make it." - RovingAnarchist

http://ernestthesiger.org/
http://immenseminiatures.com/
Boupie

Attack of the HUGE crabs!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010 07:48:14 PM »

I love it! You did such a good job!

And you are so lucky to have a boyfriend who owns a sewing machine... that must mean he sews too. I wish my husband knew something (anything sometimes) about sewing but alas that is not to be!

The dress looks so cute on you (and I love the twirling) that you should make more. Are you going to?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIP: Finally organizing my stashes, getting into soft circuits

Angeling the wonderful FoxySam right now but open to private swaps or pen-pals in the future!

11/50 books in 2010

This school year started way too soon for me.

The Sketchbook Project: Science project gone wrong
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010 08:15:17 PM »

Thanks so much ladies!

this is lovely, and you did such a good job! I'm decidedly pear shaped, but I wish I could wear this - it's such a friendly print.
Unfortunately, yeah, this dress is decidedly for the busty...I had to make the 22 (eep! biggest size!) from the pattern, but by my bust measurements, I would have had to figure out how to make a 27...I didn't change a single thing on the pattern, and there's still ample room up top Wink I love the print, even though my Mom thinks I look like a table cloth in it lol
A boyfriend with a sewing machine!  Wow, you are one lucky girl!   Cheesy  The dress looks great!
I am very lucky! Cheesy One of mine is needing a timing fix, and the other is a P.O.S. that my Mom & I got ripped buying at a "Singer" truckload sale... Sad I was so happy when he brought his home!
I love it! You did such a good job!

And you are so lucky to have a boyfriend who owns a sewing machine... that must mean he sews too. I wish my husband knew something (anything sometimes) about sewing but alas that is not to be!

The dress looks so cute on you (and I love the twirling) that you should make more. Are you going to?
My bf does sew..I'm very lucky... he's also a fellow craftster (newbie) and has posted a couple of his projects on here, including underwear that he made me from old Tshirts.
I definitely want to make this dress again! But, I think I'm gonna let the bf have a whack at it next, and make me my grad dress Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iheartcheese

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010 11:18:51 AM »

Looks awesome!! I love the print. Very fun  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I may not have gone where I intended, but I have ended up where I needed to be.
Scarlet_Angel

I think mice are rather nice!

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010 12:52:25 PM »

Really like how this has turned out - you've done a great job.  I just splashed out on this pattern on ebay at the end of last week and am hoping it will arrive tomorrow so I can get cracking on it.  Despite being pattern-challenged, I was encouraged by the fact that it's supposedly an easy pattern, and also the fact it goes up to a size 22 (which I'm guessing - is a vintage 22, so poss closer to a modern day size 18 - which is what I am) - plus of course just about EVERY single pic I've seen of all the many people who have made this dress, they all look great.  Hopefully I can post my version on here soon - but in the meantime, FAB work and 3 cheers for tablecloths!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take Care
Drink Wine
Be Chilled!
Dokui
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010 10:47:15 AM »

Yeah you did do a wonderful job on it, but why do I have to screw up the grad dress?
LOL... I know, I know...
Hey, I'm not your mother.
Oh wait, she said that first?

Once again baby, very good job, and I see we've got a nickname for it now!
So let's go and get some fabric and whatnot soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rsdenny
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010 01:35:27 PM »

That is the cutest whirl away dress I have seen thus far Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KMKMaven
Metalsmith - Jack of All Trades

I never met a craft I didn't want to try

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010 05:34:23 PM »

http://butterick.mccall.com/b4790-products-6089.php?page_id=371

Is this the same pattern re-issued?  Butterick B4790?

I LOVE this dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Happy Hobbit Day!
@Home This Weekend: Garden Painting
September 19, 2018 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...