A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
222 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First project- Granny Square Afghan!  (Read 6574 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
MissJessica
« on: September 09, 2010 09:56:07 AM »

I learned how to crochet for the sole purpose of making a granny square afghan- I've always wanted one. Well, I learned a lot about crocheting, and a lot about my patience. But I am really pleased with the end result:

There are 120 squares. I used six colors and not a single square repeats. (I had to make a chart to make this happen.) The colors are yellow, pea green, aquamarine, lavender, purple and gray.

I couldn't find any directions for exactly what kind of border to make, so I made it pretty simple:

I think this helps make it a little more masculine, since I share my bedroom with my live-in boyfriend Smiley

It incorporates a lot of colors already in play in the room.

In short, I love it! Now that it's done I might try something easy for my next project.

Thanks in advance for being forgiving.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieVal
There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010 09:59:27 AM »

Looks great! Love the border!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LadybugsAndBumblebees

Ohana, my loves. <3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010 10:05:54 AM »

I think homemade blankets are great!  I made a HUGE one for my husband-back when he was still my boyfriend-for our second Xmas together.  He used it on his bed before we were married, and when we married, we used it on our bed.  It keeps us really warm, and crochet seems to have a bit of "give", so the blanket stretches enough that it is always big enough to cover us!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl
Personal & etsy Instagram:  http://instagram.com/ladybggrl/

"The time has come the walrus said, to talk of many things...of sailing ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and kings."
tangerineshot
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010 10:10:16 AM »

this blanket is beautiful! i love the pic of how it matches everything in your very stylish room. I'm very jealous because i have started many granny blankets, but only finished ones for babies. Congrats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rockon
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010 10:19:06 AM »

I love this!  It is so cool.  I just signed up for a crochet for beginners class in order to learn to make granny squares.  I fail at learning to crochet when my mom tries to teach me Wink  Congratulations on this huge and gorgeous project!

Rock on!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stefaniegk
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010 10:29:23 AM »

I love this! My favorite thing to crochet is Granny Squares-you should check out some of the 200 square books. Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lilwanders.etsy.com         #lilwanders on Instagram

I love trades!
MissJessica
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010 10:41:01 AM »

this blanket is beautiful! i love the pic of how it matches everything in your very stylish room. I'm very jealous because i have started many granny blankets, but only finished ones for babies. Congrats!

lol, thanks, but you're only seeing the *clean* part of the room! Baby blankets are worthy of praise, too. I am too selfish to make things for other people.

I love this!  It is so cool.  I just signed up for a crochet for beginners class in order to learn to make granny squares.  I fail at learning to crochet when my mom tries to teach me Wink  Congratulations on this huge and gorgeous project!

Rock on!

You will do great. They are pretty easy, but get a bit monotonous. Luckily I was able to watch a lot of tv while working on this.

Thank you all so much! It is so gratifying to be supported by fellow craftsters because, honestly, this project took a LOT out of me... it was a bit more than I bargained for in terms of work, but I am glad I did it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kurtzie
Kurtzie

kitty feet

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010 10:55:37 AM »

i adore this! great job! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, PM me!

My ETSY! Including Hooker on the Go Keychains!
http://LittleGemsbyKari.etsy.com
crendon
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010 11:26:12 AM »

This is gorgeous! I just learned to knit, only to find out that every afghan pattern I love is done with crochet! guess I'll be learning something new in a few months lol! great job
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute
I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010 12:34:44 PM »

this is fab!

Love the colors!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...