A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
201 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sink me, my first recon is finished! (image heavy)  (Read 5637 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
MisfitRed
scarlet crimson sanguine rose carmine vermillion

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2005 09:28:54 PM »

So, inspired by craftster and more specifically by the Finding Nemo jeans skirt (sorry but off the top of my head I can't remember who posted that), I seized a pair of jeans and some random red home dec fabric that's been waiting to be a doublet, and made a skirt.  Yes, the oldest DIY in the book.  But I love it.  But see, the skirt itself was not the end of my plan.  Oh no.  This skirt was going to be special.  This skirt was going to bear the mark of my obsession with the one, the only... The Scarlet Pimpernel.

You see, I had recently gotten my hands on a copy of the 1982 movie version.  And I loved the little pimpernel drawing that the SP himself used in the movie, much better than the logo for the musical.  So I decided I would paint it on my skirt, to match the red godets.  It didn't stop there.  I got the idea to replace the label on the back of the waist with my own.  If any of you craftsters have seen the movie, hopefully you'll appreciate the label on my jeans skirt...

This seriously has taken me since well before school let out.  I did all the sewing all at once in between papers and finals.  Now that I'm home for the summer I finally had the chance to do the painting and the label.  So now without further ado... the pictures:

Closeup of the pimpernel I copied/adapted from the movie (the TV is one big lightboard Cheesy)

And the label, which I made by using iron-on transfer printer paper on ultra-suede.  Gave it a shiny leathery look, absolutely more perfect than I could've hoped:

And because I can't leave well enough alone... an action shot:

I have one little dillemma, though.  There's still a small triangular label on one of the back pockets, and I want to replace that, too.  Problem is, I don't know what to put there.  Another home-made label to fit that space?  Paint another small pimpernel flower there?  Something else entirely?  I'd like to keep it in the Scarlet Pimpernel theme.  Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There's no smile of an angel without the wrath of God..."
~HIM, "Heartache Every Moment"
kidkoala
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005 12:29:44 AM »

It's wonderful. You did a great job!

Love the action shot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
                      -Woody Allen
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005 06:06:20 AM »

Excellant job!  I would go for another pimpernel for the small label.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
Bettsi

Linnea, one of the dolls I've made.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005 01:06:55 PM »

You are so very, very clever!  I love the label!  I have to read your post again to figure out how you did that.  It looks awesome!  I love the pimpernel and I guess the little triangle would benefit from another flower, but I would encourage you to find another solution just because I want to see what clever thing you come up with!

That really, really rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Success isn't final, failure isn't fatal;
It is the courage to continue that counts.
-Winston Churchill
blackstar
marathon sleeper

ha...my sunglasses are bigger than yours!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005 07:23:28 PM »

i was the one with the Finding Nemo Skirt!!   Grin  Grin
you totally made my day, i feel like i actaully did something useful!!

and i agree wth adding another small flower
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*wise men follow their own direction*~
PimpernelSmith
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005 08:29:32 PM »

La!  What a fine garment you have there!

If not a pimpernel flower, then I would do some sort of monogram for Percy and Marguerite in the triangular space.

I love these characters -- and this is the first place I've ever seen where other people know who they are!

Pimpernel Smith  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
MisfitRed

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005 09:59:09 PM »

YAAY!  ANOTHER PIMPERNEL FAN!!!  *ahem*  Heehee, hi, nice to meet you Smiley

woot, thanks for the feedback, yall!  I think I can probably work a Percy/Marguerite monogram and a flower both into the triangular label now that I think about it...  I'll post that here when it's done.  Meanwhile, I'm so glad you like the skirt! 

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gabbagabbahey
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005 12:21:49 PM »

Omg I watched that movie my freshmen year in history!!! It was really good, it was kinda cheesy, but the cheeseyness made me laugh.  That's one of the best part of the movies with the "sink me"! Hahaha.  I love the skirt too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fashion fades, only style remains the same.

A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous.

~ Coco Chanel
iamdolleyes
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005 09:29:26 AM »

omg! is that a the cheat pillow in the background of the 'action' shot? i need!!

and the skirt is quite lovely as well, i *really* like how that label turned out! ultrasuede and iron on transfer, i'll have to remember that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm not even supposed to be here today"
MisfitRed

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005 01:57:16 PM »

LOL it is none other than teh C himself!  The talking one, that when you kick him he goes "meeah!"  On the bumpy car ride home from college he didn't shut up.  Three hours straight. 

Yeah just make sure you iron the transfer good and long, I had a couple of duds between my first one which was perfect except for a typo and this one.  When the paper package says 30 seconds, they mean it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Sweater Snake
Tute Tuesday: Take Anywhere Picnic Playset
Crafting For Good

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...