A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
287 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Socks?  (Read 1299 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
holly6golightly1
« on: May 17, 2005 03:18:11 PM »

What about medium worn socks?  I have way too many white athletic socks, and I don't know what to do with them...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
breakfastclub122

NO I DO NOT WANT TO SEE YO WEINA!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005 07:07:47 PM »

ugh... same here  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sedrasmom
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005 07:52:52 PM »

If you ever make stuffed animals, pillows, etc. you can use socks and other clothing to stuff them, either whole for larger items, or cut up if you're making something smaller. There are also patterns/books available specifically on how to make stuffed animals and dolls out of socks, not just monkeys but many different kinds. I also keep an old holey sock or two around my clothes dryer to scrape the lint off the vent.

Monica
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good!" - Dr. Seuss
ducktape_diva

Book'em good-lookin'

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005 10:25:22 PM »

Cut off the tube part and stitch up the frayed ends and you have a cute little wristie that you can decorate however you like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kwicz
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005 08:06:01 PM »

Cut them up into loops and weave or braid away.  They'd make a good rug, maybe rug hook with the loops?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftin pretty

i know how hard u try...i see it in ure eyes

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005 06:59:10 PM »

Cut them up into loops and weave or braid away.  They'd make a good rug, maybe rug hook with the loops?

how would you make a rug like that?? would you tie the socks together and braid them because i would think it would be to short to just have one sock for each braid-- not to mention very tedious
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kwicz
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005 07:11:04 AM »

I'd use a half-hitch to tie the loops together into a longer strand, then braid. Sorta like the plastic grocery bag mats I saw somewhere on the internet, I'll post the link if I can find it again.  Thinking about it, instead of loops the socks could be cut in a spiral for a continuous strand.  It'd be faster.  I've just been cutting mine into loops 'cause I'm making a knotted rug on burlap, well, eventually. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TishaLee

I had an idea.....once

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005 08:22:11 PM »

I love Duct Tape's suggestion, but I don't sew...okay...I just don't WANT to sew! Oh, except for buttons...I love to sew those all over the place and sometimes even opposite a buttonhole!...Would it work to plug off the edges with fabric paint? Or singe them? because the cuff part of the sock is still usually fine and the other part I use for rags and for painting but I can see making the cuffs and still using the other part.  Thank you D.T.  TishaLee
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whose bright idea was this anyway?  I said burn all your bridges, not blow them up!  Jeez!
ducktape_diva

Book'em good-lookin'

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005 08:34:21 AM »

Maybe you could put fray ease (I think that's what it's called) on the edge of the fabric.  Oh, and you could make the rest of the sock into a change purse. The change purse could use a button closure (so no unwanted sewing involved.)

I'm glad you could use my idea. I tried this on a pair of mislabeled pink socks with frogs blowing bubble gum I was very happy with how they turned out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TishaLee

I had an idea.....once

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2005 12:25:41 AM »

I will definitely hunt around for 'fray-eze' and I like the change purse idea!  I think I have a single sock with a bubble-gum blowing reptile myself, come to think of it!  Thanks, D.T. Diva...TishaLee
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whose bright idea was this anyway?  I said burn all your bridges, not blow them up!  Jeez!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...