A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 315,260
Currently Running With Scissors:
178 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Very Blue, Very Modified Boobholder - Semi Tutorial  (Read 13965 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

nevermore
« on: May 17, 2005 12:22:36 PM »

As I now have my camera back, I present my highly modified boobholder - http://glampyreknits.tripod.com/glampyrephotos/id62.html.  As I explained in the boobholder thread, I knew I wouldn't wear a short one, but a lengthened sweater like this would be wonderful - which I made (see the boobholder thread here on craftster), with many modifications.  I decided I needed another one, but a pullover, instead of a cardigan.  The results?

Full view -

Close up of sleeve and neck join -

The colour in these pictures isn't exactly the same as the yarn i used - the actual sweater is more turquoise and much brighter than these pictures.  The yarn was Custom Woolen Mills Mule Spinner Yarns in colour 09 (see http://www.customwoolenmills.com/ for the yarn).  It took 3 4oz skeins to finish (with a little left over).

Modifications:

I followed the original pattern quite faithfully until the "separate sleeves" section.  I had to add a few more raglan increase rows in order to get the back of the sweater to be wide enough.

However, at the 34 row mark where you are supposed to separate the sleeves, I started the "body inceases" in addition to the raglan increases.  From rows 34 - 44 or so (I'm not sure how many rows I did), a right side row would be:

"knit, increasing one stitch before and after each marker."

While wrong side rows would be:

"K5, m1, purl to last 5 stitches, m1 k5."

I did this as the neckline on my cardigan version was too low, and I wanted the neckline higher.

After the back was wide enough, I separated the sleeves (put them onto scrap yarn), and continued with the body/edge increases (the ones on the purl side of the fabric).  When the two sides of the front were wide enough to go around me with the garter stitch edging overlapping, I used something akin to three needle bind off to attach the two sides together at the garter stitch edge. 

At the end of a knit row, before knitting to the end of the border, I slipped the 5 border stitches to a double pointed needle.  I held these stitches in front of the garter stitch border on the other front half of the sweater, and knit through both the right-most stitch in the double pointed needle, and the right most stitch on the circular (as you would in a three needle bind off).  I worked the next two stitches the same way, but rather than passing the first stitch worked over the second (binding them off), I left it on the needle, and worked the last three stitches the same way.

I continued knitting around on the circular needle without any increases or decreases - though I did keep the five neck stitches in garter stitch for 8 rounds (alternate rounds of knitting and purling these 5 stitches).  I continued until the sweater was long enough (I think it was 12.5 inches from the neck join to the bottom), and then did a decrease row ( *k8, k2tog* around) to compensate for the fact that garter stitch is wider than stocking stitch and then added 8 rows of garter stitch (knit one row, purl one row), and then cast off very loosely. 

I finished the sleeves just as the pattern called for.

Wow ... that was alot of explanation.  Shocked  Anyway, I hope this is helpful for some of you who like the pattern, but no the fact that it's cropped (I also have a lengthened cardigan modification in the boobholder thread itself).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005 12:25:07 PM by nevermore » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Etsy Shop - http://www.nevermore.etsy.com
hyerac
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005 12:29:09 PM »

Nice!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
worthwhilegirl
my metal baby

We can't all be girl scouts Millie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005 12:30:39 PM »

I love it! Great job with the modifications!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.betweenstupidandclever.com
yep I got a knitting blog

-It's making me blue, Pantone 292....
EmilyFlew
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

..sweets4ever is so rad..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005 12:31:47 PM »

ooh, I was just thinking about making one like this! Yours turned out great! The detail on the neck line is perfect. I'm totally making one next. How many yards do you think it took?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

technocutie, handmade iPod cases and felt accoutrements
thoughts and days.

I <3 the mod squad ladies!
flrtingwdisaster
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005 12:35:21 PM »

i absolutely love that color! nicely done Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nevermore
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005 12:40:40 PM »

ooh, I was just thinking about making one like this! Yours turned out great! The detail on the neck line is perfect. I'm totally making one next. How many yards do you think it took?

Well, according to the producer's website, the yarn is approx. 226m/ 4oz skein, and I used slightly less than 3 skeins, so 700 yards of slightly heavier than worsted weight yarn should easily finish the sweater.  I originally bought 6 skeins, but I still have three more sitting in my stash now.  Oh well.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Etsy Shop - http://www.nevermore.etsy.com
pie
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005 06:01:31 PM »

This is great! I will definitely make this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bespectacled
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005 06:03:10 PM »

Wow I love your pullover version! It makes it practical in a whole new way.. wonderful! I also LOVE the blue color <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. - George Bernard Shaw
cathou

se roule un mouton

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005 06:05:56 PM »

I had the same idea but am not skilled enough to modify a pettern like that yet. two tumbs up for you  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<("<) <( " )> (>")>
nellum
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005 07:08:47 PM »

I must say, I have seen this on you in person and it is phantastic (that's right, with a "ph")  Your boobholder rocks my world.  And if you need someone to give that leftover yarn to I'll gladly take it off your hands

Nell
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mini Book Jewelry
Let's Spool Up!
Meatless Monday: Spinach and Cheese Gnocchi Bake

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...