A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,838
Currently Running With Scissors:
284 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Our Midcentury Inspired Livingroom  (Read 8988 times)
Tags for this thread: living_room  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
keyoung
« on: August 22, 2010 07:26:19 PM »

My boyfriend and I moved into our apartment about a year ago (up til then we'd been sharing a house with 3-5 friends).  We discovered when we moved that between the two of us we owned most of the large furniture items in the house, and we were (of course) moving from a VERY large house to a fairly small apartment.  Some frenzied culling ensued.  While it may have seemed like a giant headache at the time (trying to find people to buy/take items and countless drives to drop off things at Goodwill) I'm sooo happy with the result.  Our apartment is now a collection of our favorite things that we've made and acquired over the years.  My favorite room is our living room because it's the best showcase of things we've made. 
You'll notice that while we got rid of a lot of furniture, we did not get rid of any of our books Grin

The BF designed and built the bookshelf - it's customizeable!  It was in a totally different configuration at our old house.  The cream leather chair and coffee table are both hand-me-downs from friends.  The pillow on the chair was one of my very first sewing projects.  Melted record catch-all bowl on the coffee table is from a Craftster tute.  Some of the doodads on the mantel I made in a ceramics course.

The painting over the sofa is by a friend.  I made the "crazy-leg" table in a woods course back in college (one of my favorite things I've ever made).  The pillow wedged behind it was also an early sewing project.  The concrete rectangular planter was made by the BF at an old job of his.  (The dog is Helmet, our Hairless Chinese Crested/Carin Terrier mix.)

The "log" in the fireplace is an old unfinished plaster carving project.  I made the ceramic sculpture on the end of the mantel.

These two pics are older, but they give a better idea of the room as a whole.

Thanks for looking!  Comments, critiques, criticisms are welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MonicaElaine

Sweet Tea and Sour Pickles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010 07:38:37 PM »

Very nice!  Always love to see pets taking part in the shots too! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Sweet Tea Sour Pickles Etsy shop, now up and running!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/sweetteasourpickles
Casstasstrophe
*may contain awesome

I have a little geek in me. Do you?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010 07:53:12 PM »

Oh, I like it! We have mid-century inspired  decor as well. I always love to see other people's homes for inspiration.

Lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marieC
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010 08:09:13 PM »

We have a mid-century sitting room which is a combination Ikea and an orange vinyl couch from the 1950s.  Maybe I should make something for it to come up with an excuse to take pictures of it.

The orange couch is my favorite thing we own.  My husband's favorite color is orange so it was easy to convince him we should get it (read: inform him I already bought it).  Everyone else has a great reaction to it.  My MIL, who has a beautiful shabby-chic style home (seriously, it's like right out of a magazine) stared at it for a full minute before nodding and saying it was us. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A state of confusion is unpleasant, but a state of certainty is ridiculous.  - Voltaire.
LadybugsAndBumblebees

Ohana, my loves. <3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010 08:09:44 PM »

It looks so comfortable that I wish we were friends, so I could go and visit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl
Personal & etsy Instagram:  http://instagram.com/ladybggrl/

"The time has come the walrus said, to talk of many things...of sailing ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and kings."
marieC
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010 08:10:29 PM »

Sorry, I got caught up in talking about myself.  Smiley  Love your living room and love all the stuff you guys have made for it.  It really makes it yours to be able to point to something and say "I made that."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A state of confusion is unpleasant, but a state of certainty is ridiculous.  - Voltaire.
hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010 08:30:40 PM »

It's so cool! I wish my living room looked like that...I mean, I wish I had a living room...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rosyposie
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010 08:33:42 PM »

I love the bookcase...what is that made of?  I feel that would work in so many spaces not just mid-century modern ones.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
krandui

I can be a complicated communicator...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010 08:52:13 PM »

I love it! Very calm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
keyoung
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010 09:01:49 PM »

The bookshelf is made from threaded rods, bolts, washers and plywood.  The BF cut two sizes of boards (using a jigsaw - the edges are pretty wiggly, a table saw or circular saw would do a much better job) then made templates out of cardboard to mark where to drill holes (the template really helps make sure everything is squared).  The vertical supports are .5" diameter (I think) threaded rods from Home Depot in 6' and 3' lengths.  Here is a crummy MSPaint diagram of how it's assembled:

Of course, the washers and nuts should be tightened down so they're snug (not the way they are shown in the diagram).

It takes a long time to take apart and put together because you have to spin the nuts around the almost 6' of threaded rod for parts of it.  It also takes A LOT of leveling of the shelves during assembly.  We tried to put it together around 1am and I believe I stormed off and went to bed because I thought it looked fine but the BF kept wanting to level and adjust things microscopically for another hour.  It's pretty straight forward... just really time consuming!

Thanks everybody for the nice comments!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...