A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,896
Currently Running With Scissors:
314 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: healthy cookies! help with sugar substitutions?  (Read 557 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
somethingcelestual
« on: September 20, 2010 09:35:52 AM »

i would like to bake cookies that are guilt-free, but im a tad iffy on a few things...

-i know you can reduce the amount of oil in a recipe by adding unsweetened applesauce, but by how much?

im iffy on trying artificial sweeteners, because its something ARTIFICIAL that i would be putting into my system. i would really like to try adding agave instead of using sugar.

-does anyone kows how much agave to use in place of 1 cup of sugar?

-ive thought about honey, splenda & truvia, but im not sure about them. honey, would just cost ALOT. splenda....well, lets just say ive read enough about splenda to where i wouldnt dare even pick up a package, let alone EVER eating it. & truvia, i know nothing about! if anyone knows anything about it, please let me know.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010 07:10:34 PM »

Agave, honey, and sugar from sugar cane are all pure sugar and have the same amount of calories. If you're trying to restrict calories none of those is really better than any of the others. It's possible that they have different effects on your blood sugar, but people like to argue about that all day long, so who knows.

Truvia is made from stevia I believe, which is all natural and calorie free, but can be extremely bitter if you use too much of it. Personally I don't care for the flavor but my best friend carries a bottle everywhere to sweeten her iced tea.

I've made these before, they do have small amounts of oil, brown sugar, and flour, but they have a lot of oats and sweet potato too.

http://carrotsncake.com/2009/11/sweet-potato-oatmeal-raisin-cookies.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love to cook, have an overflowing pantry, or want to save a little money on your grocery bill?
Join the Pantry Challenge Cookalong!

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Map Paper Pinecones
Ode To Coffee
Meal Prep Monday: Chicken Pot Pie

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...