A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,564
Currently Running With Scissors:
169 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Video Game Inspired iPod Touch Sleeves! (lots of pics)  (Read 3031 times)
Tags for this thread: pixel  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
OmegaChicken
« on: August 08, 2010 08:19:01 AM »

Hey guys!  I've been working on a series of pockets for the iPod Touch using sprites from video games and such.  First: check them out!

The first one I made (i.e. a crappy prototype)

This one's image comes from the eBoy pixel art community, and is my own personal iPod pocket.  It's done in 18 count fabric, which ended up being too flimsy.  It's falling apart.

The second one I made has a Piranha plant and the caption "weed."  After I stitched it closed, I tried to cut a hole in the bottom to facilitate connecting headphones and the charger dock, but I didn't finish it, so I'm sure it's all fraying up.  I don't know for sure because someone bought it from me.  There's no image on the back.

The third one: the Thwomp.  This one I'm really proud of.  I cut a hole and finished it before I stitched it closed, so it's not going to fray from daily use (that's the gold colored thread at the bottom).  I also lined in inside because I noticed that the first one I made (the boombox one) leaves a faint shadow of the back of the image on the iPod screen.  It wipes off, but I thought that an extra layer of protection would help prevent that.  Also, the interior lining prevents the threads from being pulled, which will keep the image itself from fraying.

Next, I made Abe Lincoln's Bad Mother F-er pocket.  This one was one stitch smaller, so it was a little tight.  I just got it wet and put my iPod in it overnight to stretch it.  The back is inspired by Julius' wallet in Pulp Fiction.  I put Lincoln on it because--well, I don't know why I put Abe on it, but it seems to fit, right?  This is also the first one that I put a tag inside that shows my name (a pic of that later).  I also made the interior lining bigger, so it covers the entire inside.

The Oregon Trail.  The back of this one just has an image of the wagon.  The font is taken straight from the game itself.

BurgerTime!  I love this one.  I got the spacing a little wrong, so I added that "high score" at the top at the last minute.  Also, the burger is one pixel too big, so Peter Pepper is off-center.  That's just how the sprites are, it wasn't a spacing mistake on my part.  The back (not pictured, of course) has Mr. Pickle, Mr. Hot Dog, and Mr. Egg.

The latest one, a Super Mario Bros. underwater scene.  The back shows a piece of coral and some waves and the front has a Blooper Nanny and some Baby Bloopers, along with an adopted (or confused) Baby Cheep.

Here's an image of the tag I made for the inside.  Stitchmond is essentially my brand name.  This particular tag is inside the underwater one and is a font I am trying to design myself.  I made this font because I needed a small one, but also a legible one.  Making it slanted gives me an extra dimension of verticality within a two-stitch boundary.

I'm going to take step-by-step pictures of the next one I make and I'll post them here for all to see, that way, you can make your own!  

In the future, I've got some Donkey Kong, Duck Hunt, Metroid, Bionic Commando, and MegaMan designs.  I'm also currently finishing up a pocket for the iPod Nano, and I'll show pics of that when I'm done.

As always thanks for looking and please let me know what you think!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010 09:02:15 PM by kittykill - Reason: To comply with Craftster's guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Etsy shop: stitchmond.etsy.com, full of nerd-crafted goods inspired by video games, books and movies and fueled with booze.
kazyeeqen
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010 08:37:32 AM »

These are great. I like the progression, how you improved each one and learned from the last ones. I also liked that I recognized the Oregon trail line.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nfirehazzard

Purple monkey dishwashers!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010 09:37:45 AM »

These are so awesome! Just remember that the greatest form of flattery is imitation! *smiles*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fluffybaka

The Lil Hippies are taking over!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010 03:23:36 PM »

I love them all!  But my favorite is the Oregon Trail one.  I saw it and before I read below, I was like "OMG OREGON TRAIL."  Yeah, in all caps and such.  I was excited.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.CraftyHippy.etsy.com
Eco-friendly items, patterns, hippies, and more.

I'm on Ravelry, too!
http://www.ravelry.com/designers/stephanie-horn
OmegaChicken
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010 08:44:09 PM »

If you're interested in making your own pocket, I put a guide with my latest work https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=356489.0  right there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Etsy shop: stitchmond.etsy.com, full of nerd-crafted goods inspired by video games, books and movies and fueled with booze.
sophieangele
Two-headed girl

lacing fingers through the notches of your spine

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010 03:40:49 AM »

These are really cute! I especially like the Oregon Trail one, and the Mario Bros one. And thank you for putting up the tute in your other post Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thefourthwall
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011 01:39:22 PM »

Okay, I realize I'm a year-plus late--but these are awesome!  How do you figure out all your own patterns?  Just use graph paper and look at an image?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OmegaChicken
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011 11:07:59 PM »

I started with graphs to draw the images and I used graphs printed on vellum to trace pictures to cross stitch.  But now I use KG Chart and PC Stitch.  I know that some people use PC Stitch's "Import image" tool to develop cross stitch charts from pictures and video game sprites, but I prefer to draw it myself and hand-pick the colors in the program.  Some users over at spritestitch.com have patterns, but I find that I can't always trust their color choices, so I download sprite sheets from places like thespritersresource.com, open them in Paint, and draw them in PC Stitch from the sprite sheet.

I take the sprites and arrange them how I like in the program and I get unique final patterns.  I mean, just putting a video game sprite on something isn't always the most exciting thing.  Isn't the thwomp pocket more boring than the underwater one?

I know that all that might not make some sense, but check out PC Stitch (it's not free) and KG Chart (it's free) and you'll find how easy it is to build patterns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thefourthwall
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011 06:06:12 PM »

I started with graphs to draw the images and I used graphs printed on vellum to trace pictures to cross stitch.  But now I use KG Chart and PC Stitch.  I know that some people use PC Stitch's "Import image" tool to develop cross stitch charts from pictures and video game sprites, but I prefer to draw it myself and hand-pick the colors in the program.  Some users over at spritestitch.com have patterns, but I find that I can't always trust their color choices, so I download sprite sheets from places like thespritersresource.com, open them in Paint, and draw them in PC Stitch from the sprite sheet.

I take the sprites and arrange them how I like in the program and I get unique final patterns.  I mean, just putting a video game sprite on something isn't always the most exciting thing.  Isn't the thwomp pocket more boring than the underwater one?

I know that all that might not make some sense, but check out PC Stitch (it's not free) and KG Chart (it's free) and you'll find how easy it is to build patterns.

Thanks! I appreciate all the good suggestions.  As soon as I'm on a proper computer (and not a phone), I'll look them up. I haven't ever designed my own pattern or even cross-stitched in years, but seeing this sort of thing makes me want to start again. My favorite one is the Oregon Trail!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nightmoon
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011 08:11:05 AM »

very nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Shea Butter Sugar Scrub
Fancy a Cuppa?
Meatless Monday: Pickled Beet, Arugula and Goat Cheese Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...