A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,561
Currently Running With Scissors:
163 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ferret nation cage covers  (Read 10626 times)
Tags for this thread: pet_cage , ferret  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
querencia
« on: August 03, 2010 07:59:48 PM »

I know the bland colours aren't everyone's cup of tea but we have a menagerie in our home and I got overdosed on cartoon prints and neons/primaries that most pet stuff seems to come in at the store (or else it's way out of my budget) so. The Bland But Soothing Ferret Nation

with doors open

Hadn't gotten around to making them their hanging sleep places when I took their pics. Don't worry, the colours are bland but they still have plenty of toys and sleep places Wink i wouldn't make them go without to please my current desire for neutrals.

We're using canvas through our home because it meets my ocd need for neutrals right now, it's tough enough to stand up to the pets, and it's cheap. So, those cage liners are canvas like most everything else in the home. it makes the cage floor softer for the ferrets and really dampens the noises of them frollicking at night which is a blessing since the cage is in our bedroom.  I usually just use gym socks to cover the ramps and prevent caught toes. Third level's not visible in the pic because I was using it for storage when I took it. The litter boxes are black thanks to Krylon's plastics spray paint. It seems to help them stand up to ferret nails better if I give them a bit more drying/curing time which is why they're locked away in the third story, away from claws & teeth. The white/cream fleece is just a chopped up ikea blanket. The baskets are just thrifted. They have a life span of about a week around Ms. Charlotte but Mr. Fuzz loves to sleep in them and I'm a sucker for Mr. Fuzz so we keep sacrificing baskets weekly.

The destroyer of baskets & sleepy spot in use w/ a faux fur blanket. I got some to make our own bed a blanket & they loved it too much so it also got sacrificed to them.

Oh yeah, We sewed and hung up the cage cover that goes over the whole things to keep food & flying litter in and it makes it easier when we go through and clean to just steam clean the whole cage, cage cover catches anything grody and then toss the whole thing in the washer. The ferrets seem to appreciate the coziness of it as well.
Looking at the pics... I need to go sew more hammocks Thanks for reading through for anyone who did :}
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010 05:28:47 AM by pixieval - Reason: revealed images for new member » THIS ROCKS   Logged
halblingefrau

Skillz. I has dem.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010 02:35:25 PM »

This is awesome!  I'm planning on making some covers for my FN as well.  How are your pan liners constructed?  Are they like pillow cases or are they held on with elastic?  I'm still working on a design.  And your fuzzy is very very cute.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog | Wists

PM me for personal swaps.
querencia
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010 01:10:49 AM »

Heyya-
Yeah, all my cage liners are made like pillowcases. it seems like most of the sets you can buy are held on either with elastic or with clips. i really am not sure how those work. i know that they must since it's the most popular style available but my ferrets tend to cram themselves underneath anything like that and then are tapdancing on that reverberating plastic at 2am.  grrr

so yeah, pillow case style shaped to each plastic liner piece. i fold the open edge of the full liners over so there's no opening the ferrets can reach. and fold the open edge under and it slips into the corner parts where the liner slips in on the half shelves, if that makes sense?

i think my ferrets must be exceptionally bad because i also gave up and drilled holes in the litterboxes and thumb clipped them to the side of the cage so they couldn't flip them

There's actually 5 of the little monsters but i wasn't sure if it was ok to endlessly spam with weasel pics Wink now i want to go sew them more hammocks Cheesy

if you do the FN liners i hope you post the pics because i really like to see how other people do it
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kizzie421
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010 07:05:15 PM »

if you are bored you can come over and make my cage match. When I started everything matched, now I just throw in whatever is clean and not torn up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

querencia
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010 07:31:50 PM »

lol when i started i just threw in whatever was handy. but i figure if i am going to live with a business of ferrets forever i might as well have it look pleasant in my home :}
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rlynn
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010 07:38:06 PM »

nice!  i have the exact same cage for my chinchillas except with metal pans cut to fit the cage.  chinnies are notorious for chewing up plastic and eating it.  i am thinking of replacing their messy aspen litter with fleece liners (with terry sandwiched in between for absorbency).  the aspen is a pain to clean up plus i'm allergic to it i think.  this gives me a bit of the kick in the pants i need to get going on it.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

querencia
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010 07:55:45 PM »

my mancreature desperately wants a chinnie but it's a nogo with the ferrets. would love to see how your critter nation liners turn out when you get around to it. can only imagine how much fun setting up a home for those guys in a big ol critter nation type of cage would be :}

still haven't gotten to sew more hammocks yet. grrr. so much i need to get done tonight but might have to put it on hold to do some sewing...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rlynn
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010 08:26:44 PM »

yeah they love the roominess.  i replaced all the ramps with wood shelves bolted to the sides of the cage for them to hop around and they have a giant wheel in the bottom level.  i'll post pics when i get around to it.  i am about to run out of apsen bedding and i have to order it online (no car) so that should force me to do it soon. 

the chinnies LOVE fleece hammocks.  its cute when they are both up there all snuggled together.  i should make them another one so i can clean theirs more frequently without making them mad.  they don't like it when its suddenly missing.  heh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

halblingefrau

Skillz. I has dem.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010 04:50:34 PM »

I'm definitely going to try a pillowcase-esqe style for my FN.  I was actually thinking of doing it like a pillow sham.  The opening is in the middle of the bottom of the case, instead at one end.  I have a business of 3: 2 boys and a girl.  And yeah, probably not best to spam weasel pics... but if you should happen to have 3 or 4 pics of your weasels in the cage showing off their bedding....  just sayin'.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog | Wists

PM me for personal swaps.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pickled Beet, Arugula and Goat Cheese Salad
@Home This Weekend: Sweater Snake
Tute Tuesday: Take Anywhere Picnic Playset

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...