A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
170 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Witchy Antique/Vintage Spooky Labels on Herbs (photo intensive)  (Read 9956 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Arachnea
Geek Extraordinaire

Geeky Craftaholic

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 01, 2010 04:36:46 PM »

So I've been browsing around Craftster for the last week or so and I'm inspired to do so many things - I begin with a simple project in my kitchen, where I have cleaned up, and redone my herbs collection that is displayed atop my cupboards. Herbs for various witchy things, herbal remedies as well as the fact that it just looks really really cool Cheesy

^ A view of the herbs in cannisters above the cupboards.

^A closer view of the "before" cannisters - all the labels are different sizes, from different places in different writing and all very messy.

^Above are the 3 sheets of Avery labels I bought from Staples. From there I went to the Avery website, put in the product number and it brought up a label template for Word for me.

^ I snagged a collection of antique frames from Deviant Art, played around with the colours and levels in Photoshop a little bit and ended up with a nice antique frame in which I used one of my lovely fonts from my ever expanding font collection.

^ From there, I employed my aging paper technique to the label sheets I had just printed out. 3 tea bags, tongs and a towel made the labels look lovely and old - right from a medieval market or witches curio cabinet.

^Here's the labels all mystified and antiqued - I was a little worried that using tea on the labels would disintegrate the glue backing, but it didn't and it worked wonderfully! They warped and wrinkled, but once you took the labels off the backing and onto the cannisters they looked perfect.

^ I had to use a knife to scrape off the old labels as they had been on the cannisters for far, far too long. And you can see the dust on them, too! I gave them a good cleaning.

^ Here's two of the cannisters, the Lavender and the Eucalyptus Leaf - I love how these turned out!

^ A closer look

^ As a bonus, I also had these other two cannisters (though I haven't decided what to put in them yet) that held really terrible chocolate that I threw out because I bought it for the cannister Cheesy

^The closer one reads: Eye of Newt and the further one: "Dragon Scales"

^And a further away finished product on the shelf

^And a closer final view.

C&C welcomed - what do you guys think? It was a lot more work than the finished product makes it look - my arm is exhausted from scraping off the derned labels. I really like how it turned out.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010 06:32:24 PM by Arachnea » THIS ROCKS   Logged

meggy_doodle
Professional Daydreamer

Do YOU know the muffin man?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010 05:15:40 PM »

That quite an herb collection you got there! I love how you tea-dyed the labels to make them look older. I've always wanted to try that to put on some potion bottles for Halloween decorations  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist: www.wists.com/Megnificent

50 Projects a Year 2012:
2/50
Arachnea
Geek Extraordinaire

Geeky Craftaholic

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010 05:24:09 PM »

You could definitely do this as a hallowe'en project - give out miniature potion bottles full of candy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovesclutter

msassive stroke March 18 not right in the head.:(

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010 04:49:41 AM »

Another great post that should go into the Craft Challenge that you can start posting today, so go on over there and look. As long as there are 5 steps, and it looks like it, you have a tutorial.

Love this project. Inspiring me to do some more organizing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010 12:14:51 PM »

What a lovely collection! You sure put in a lot of work but it has paid off...

Your new labels are so nice with the tea stain!  Can't wait to see what you use for eye of newt... Wink

Have you ever tried Goof Off or Goo Gone?  If you let it soak into any label, they peel off quite nicely.  I use Goo Gone because it is more natural smelling to me...it has saved me countless hours of scraping to remove labels from all my jars and bins... Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010 12:16:35 PM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Arachnea
Geek Extraordinaire

Geeky Craftaholic

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010 12:27:24 PM »

Another great post that should go into the Craft Challenge that you can start posting today, so go on over there and look. As long as there are 5 steps, and it looks like it, you have a tutorial.

Love this project. Inspiring me to do some more organizing.

I shall have to take a look - I've never entered a craft challenge before Smiley

Alwaysinmyroom - Thank you so much - I'll have to look into Goo Gone for sure - even when it comes to buying things from Value Village it a pain in the bottom to get the derned sticker off of the product. Thanks so much for the idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010 12:34:07 PM »

Yes--you should enter the tutorial contest!

I am a bit obsessed with removing those darn labels from everything I buy so Goo Gone is part of my crafting supplies ! Cheesy

Do you actually use your herbs?  I am eyeing your lavender with much jealousy! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Arachnea
Geek Extraordinaire

Geeky Craftaholic

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010 12:38:09 PM »

Yes--you should enter the tutorial contest!

I am a bit obsessed with removing those darn labels from everything I buy so Goo Gone is part of my crafting supplies ! Cheesy

Do you actually use your herbs?  I am eyeing your lavender with much jealousy! Cheesy

Some are up there just for decoration at this point because they are too old to use, but some like the lavender and the eucalyptus I do actually use. Outside of that cannister of lavender I have two other big bags full of it - if you and I ever do a swap I can definitely send some lavender your way Smiley  I love putting it in the bath with me (but use one of those hair catch strainers to catch all the lavender when you let the water out - I learn from stupidity - lol)

Jess
THIS ROCKS   Logged

midget

craftiness out the wahzoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010 10:01:03 PM »

Cute <3 and elegant, upgrade!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.meloyelo.etsy.com
d.i.y = l.o.v.e
rad-tastic

Oh yes, I went there.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010 04:16:58 PM »

Amazing! I only have a few herbs growing myself, but all those herbs look lovely! I also love the canisters, as I need bigger ones because I already have a mason jar completely filled with lemon balm, and the darn plant won't stop growing. I can only make so much tea out of it, especially since the peppermint isn't growing as ferociously! Still, I want your canisters. Where did you get so many?

Also, for the herbs you do use, at least food-wise, it's better to keep them either in a cupboard or a dark jar, because leaving them out in the sun depletes their flavor and medicinal properties! How unfortunate!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Uhhhh........what?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...