A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,851
Currently Running With Scissors:
254 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help me prettify some shelves/boxes!  (Read 1084 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
chica
« on: March 09, 2004 06:16:03 AM »

Hi there craftsters,

I just found some excellent wooden wine boxes outside my local liquor store.  They're about 2' x 1' x .5'.  I plan on hanging them on the walls and using them for shelves, which I am desperately in need of.  

Of course they need to be decorated somehow, and I'm having a mental block Huh about what to do.  I was thinking of painting them the color of my walls (white) and then attaching fake flowers around the front edge so it would look like a diorama (sp?) almost, or stencilling them.  I don't have a big decorating theme to my place, so the possibilities are endless.  Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We were sittin in Harlem, at a table for two... and there were four of us... me, your big feet and you.
Lara
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004 11:53:08 PM »

a friend of my mom paints motifes on wood boxes, the boxes stay natural wood colour and she paints designs on them, then seals it with varnish, they look really pretty.

another thing i have seen (but i don't know the tools exactly) you can burn a design into the wood using something like a welding machine, the result is a design in a darker shade of the wood.

you can also decoupage the boxes, or paint a solid colour on them then draw a motif or stick some shapes or draw something on, or stick a fringe on, you can pin a crochet border or some beads or buttons.

i know, i gor a bit carried away......
hope these suggestions help though Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
piecefulartist
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004 04:55:53 AM »

i like to hot glue buttons or any kind of trinkets to everything in the house!  makes a fine decoration and gives texture and dimension - all the things a fine artist uses Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chica
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004 06:06:59 AM »

Cheesy  Thanks guys!  These are great suggestions.... Keep 'em coming!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We were sittin in Harlem, at a table for two... and there were four of us... me, your big feet and you.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Tutu for You
Stay Spooky
Meal Prep Monday: Smoked Salmon Fettuccine

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...