A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,887
Currently Running With Scissors:
301 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Diabetic Supplies  (Read 1964 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
auburngirl
« on: May 14, 2005 05:35:05 PM »

I have tons of test strip containers (like film canisters, only smaller with a hinged lid) and I can't think of anything to do with them!  I use them to store stuff, but I'm out of ideas.  Please help!!!

-Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is to not stop questioning."
               -Albert Einstein
kristiface
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005 08:58:33 PM »

I have no idea, but if you come up with something, I'd love to know!  I have a ton of them myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Joy is but the sign that creative emotion is fulfilling its purpose.
-- Charles Du Bos
Honeybee74

Chuck Norris was the best hamster ever!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005 04:16:03 PM »

i am not quite sure what they look like but if they are like film canisters - that makes me think of machine guns (wierd i know) maybe you could make a machine gun-like clip and use it to make a really cool wall art, you could create the rest of the Barrell (is that the right term) by painting some paper tube roles or other cylinderical object?

Or you could use them to hold change.  That's where i used to keep my milk money.

Sorry these are so bad - but sometimes bad ideas help to spawn some good ones, so you should have some GREAT ideas after reading this...or just feel like you wasted time (sorry if thats the case. Undecided)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kristiface
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005 01:05:39 PM »

that makes me think of machine guns (wierd i know) maybe you could make a machine gun-like clip

That could make a potentially cool halloween costume, actually!  Ooooh, and I just love your hamster avatar.  He is CUTE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Joy is but the sign that creative emotion is fulfilling its purpose.
-- Charles Du Bos
auburngirl
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005 03:47:32 PM »

Thanks!  My brother suggested an idea similar to yours-a belt with the containers to hold "stuff". 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is to not stop questioning."
               -Albert Einstein
TishaLee

I had an idea.....once

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005 09:56:04 PM »

I have the same containers and also many, many little needle covers, syringes (sans needles) and the little caps that are at the bottom of the new syringes...I have been saving these because I cannot stand to throw them away.  I have thought of some ideas that I have not tried yet, such as using the ridged covers which are about a half inch long and about one-eighth " diameter as carrots, but the ridges run the opposite way so I will probably end up using them in some kind of recycle art mosaic someday.  I have just spray painted some of the little caps, which are about a half inch long and about one-quarter inch diameter, and look like miniature top hats, different colors and am thinking of making little chorus-line type dolls out of clothespins, the old round ones i happen to have, or little 'Uncle Sam's' for 4th of July.  I also may use some of the plungers to make mini table or chair legs....they are white, about 2 and a half inches long with little black rubber 'floor protectors' at the end.  I make miniature tables and such to cover things in gift baskets and I think I will make a table in a 50's type diner scene with these, along with a black and white fabric covered margarine lid.  The plungers are rather flimsey so I will have to be careful. My daughter is balking at the pump so I guess I will have plenty of syringe stuff for a while!

The strip bottles are so cool to use for different things that I so regret all the ones I have thrown away over the years since my daughter was diagnosed with type 1 but I still have several years more of this.  Those containers are so easily used painted and glued to a CD, also painted, and used as an art table or office organizer.  They are better that prescription bottles because they are usually white and therefore easier to paint or decorate.  Oh and the syringe covers and tip covers, I just realised can be used for mini legs for tea crates that can be decorated also for gift baskets, or for mini stools to put small decorative figures in to embellish gift baskets or shadow boxes.  That is all I have for now.  Hope this posts...I tried once but I guess I did something wrong...I don't know...TishaLee
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whose bright idea was this anyway?  I said burn all your bridges, not blow them up!  Jeez!
auburngirl
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005 02:38:44 PM »

Those are really good ideas!  Sadly, I don't have any syringes because I've been on an insulin pump for 5 years.  My test strip containers are black, but I painted one for fun and it was pretty easy.  Thanks for the ideas!
-Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Albert Einstein
sedrasmom
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005 06:45:43 PM »

Test strip containers make the most awesome homemade lip balm containers! Melt down some coconut oil (or even crisco) and other oils of choice with a little bit of beeswax and add any colorants/fragrances you want - you can even use the stubby remains of old lipsticks to color the lip balm. Or just melt a whole bunch of stubby old lipsticks together and let it cool in a test strip tube.

Now, if only I could think of something I could do with all the extra syringes I have hoarded in my cupboard. My insurance covered free syringes every time I refilled either of my insulins, but I was concerned about all the plastic waste, and when I asked my nurse/educator if I could get a reusable syringe, she told me off the record that many patients use the same syringe twice in one day, so I did that for the last few years, so I have many leftovers now that I'm not pregnant or breastfeeding and can go back on oral meds instead of taking insulin. I suppose I could try to find a clinic or something to take them when I get around to cleaning my cupboards someday.

Monica
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005 06:54:11 PM by sedrasmom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good!" - Dr. Seuss
LiquidScissors
Who would of known

Hank's a bomb. Long story.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2005 08:32:25 PM »

I never thought of using test strip containers for anything, we just store used test strips in them till they are full and throw them out.  You could sort beads and buttons into them, or make candles?  My beads are so messy and mixed up, if I got bored enough maybe I could sort them haha.  Or you could store needles and pins in them. 

or make a travling sewing kit, with a tiny spool of thread and crap. 

I always wondered about using our used syringe for something, but was pretty sure it was a bad idea seeing as its a hazardous material... or whatnot.  But I never thought about just using the caps or the plungey part maybe for stuff.  As long as you get rid of the needle I guess its okay.  You could maybe even make those little novilty pens, syringe pens.  anyway.

-Liquid
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Is it because you killed a whole bunch of ninjas while it was playing? So now it reminds you of ninjas?"
TishaLee

I had an idea.....once

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005 03:08:53 AM »

I have been playing with our used syringes for the last few days, working on a unique gift for my daughter's school nurse and I am just clipping off the needles, taking out the plungers and washing both the syringe and plungers and have found that they cut up very easily which leads to a whole bunch of other options!  As long as you remove the needle (mini-pliers, wire cutters, or a designed needle remover, and clean the syringes and plungers, it is perfectly safe.  Use a little bleach in the water when you wash them if it makes you feel better....I have thought of many ideas now that I know they are so easy to cut up!...Legs for doll furniture, miniature dolls, really different jewelry...you can spray paint them with the new paint out now that bonds with plastic....make letters out of them or numbers...I will post ideas as I try them....TishaLee
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whose bright idea was this anyway?  I said burn all your bridges, not blow them up!  Jeez!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Meal Prep Monday: Chicken Pot Pie
@Home This Weekend: DIY Room Divider
Tute Tuesday: Snow Dyeing

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...