A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 311,868
Currently Running With Scissors:
405 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: talking (..typing..) through a knitting block  (Read 4071 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ThreadOrYarn
« on: July 15, 2010 01:28:17 PM »

So I've got this UFO sock pattern that I want to get out of UFO-ness... it's one of those cabled complicated looking sock that isn't that complicated to knit, if you keep good track of where you are in the pattern. That's not the problem.

The sock is top-down and I much prefer doing socks toe-up. The sock has 4 main stitch patterns, 3 of which I can convert to toe-up pretty easily. That's not a problem either.

The fourth pattern is a long cable pattern repeat that I was just going to knit as-charted, but instead of starting row 1 at the ribbing (top-down) I'd just start row 1 on the foot (toe-up). The cable repeat is long enough that when you do the sock top-down, you get 1 repeat plus part of a 2nd repeat by the time you do the toe. How much of the 2nd repeat depends how long you make the foot. That's why I figured doing it the other way, starting row 1 on the foot and working up, ending at the top of the sock somewhere in the middle of the 2nd repeat made more sense than trying to start in the middle of a repeat (on the foot) and working backwards to row 1 at the top of the sock.  Even though the cable isn't exactly symmetrical top to bottom, it looks good knit in either direction, so I'm not going to end up with an odd looking cable on the sock.

This is sort of where the block starts.

Before I started the sock-UFO, I found an online (not Craftster) discussion (not quite a KAL, but close) for this pattern  and read through it to get an idea of where the problem spots where. The KAL was still semi-active so I posted my ideas (pretty much what I just wrote) about doing it toe-up.

The designer answered and while she agreed that most of it would 'probably' work, reversing the cable isn't a good idea. Her intention was that Cable Row 1 is at the top meeting the ribbing and by doing it toe-up, I (most likely) won't get Cable Row 1 at the top. And the non-symmetrical cable will be upside down. Structurally, I don't think it matters which Cable Row meets the ribbing (it'll probably look neater if it's not a cable crossing row, but that'll be easy enough to avoid).

In the pattern, the designer included a lot of "I used this stitch pattern because -----" details and that doing the cable 'upside down' goes against why she used the stitch pattern in the first place - that was the biggest reason not to do toe-up.

On one hand - if I hadn't seen the KAL (or rather, if I hadn't posted in there) then 'ignorance is bliss' and I would've done the sock toe-up as I planned even with the upside-down cable. I'm not planning to enter it in a contest so i won't be marked down points for not following directions Wink

On the other hand - the DESIGNER says it's not a good idea to make the changes.

On the other other hand - To me the reasons aren't um, 'enough' to knit these top-down.

On the other hand - the DESIGNER says it's not a good idea to make the changes.

sigh. I think I ran out of hands a few lines ago....?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010 03:36:14 PM »

I got it - do I or don't I? It's your sock, the designer will never see it (unless you post it to ravelry and she cruises through the projects of her patterns). So make it the way you prefer making socks. Or leave the one and start the other toe up and see how it goes and which way you like it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010 03:45:44 PM »

Such is the greatest part of knitting, you can modify any pattern to suit you!  Just because the designer gave their reasoning for the top down part doesn't mean that you are obligated to do it that way.  So go ahead and knit it toe up  Smiley

Maybe you can do a swatch of just that particular cable pattern (the one you are having trouble reversing) and that way, you can be sure if you need 1.5 repeats or not (or maybe you can get it to work for 2 repeats thereby holding up the way the cable blends into the ribbing).  But if you don't care about the cable blending into the ribbing, then it really doesn't matter at all since you'll be the ones knitting and wearing them...again, such is the beauty of knitting (or any crafting for that matter).

Good luck!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tephra
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010 04:48:10 PM »

I'm so curious about this pattern now.  Cheesy

Well, if the patterning starts late enough that you have enough toe to figure out what your row gauge is you should be able to figure out how much cable would be used up on the foot and leg and just start the cable at whatever row you need to get row 1 at the top of the leg (working the cable upside down so it runs as it would on the original cuff down sock). If you are off by a couple rows just make the sock that many rows longer or shorter and compensate with more or less ribbing if the length in total needs adjusting.

It's your sock, knit it as you like it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThreadOrYarn
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010 12:05:14 PM »

Thanks everybody - it helps! The 'funny' thing is that if I hadn't 'talked' to the designer, it wouldn't even be an issue - changing/modifying patterns isn't (usually) something I have trouble with - in fact, I 'tweaked' one sweater pattern so much that the only thing the pattern and my sweater (also UFO, but for other reasons  Tongue ) have in common is that they both use the same cable Cheesy

I've started & stopped this sock pattern a couple of times already - the first time I did start toe-up and got maybe 1/2 way up the foot before I stopped - the cable uses a twist stitch I wasn't familiar with and it was really messy looking. So that's the practice swatch Smiley  The second time I did it top down but only got a couple of inches done before it hit UFOism.  Practice swatch #2 ?

I'll be optimistic that the third time will work.  Toe-up Smiley (after a few swap items are finished Cheesy )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThreadOrYarn
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010 11:11:48 AM »

I picked up this project again. I tried, I really did, to convince myself to continue working the sock top-down since I have a few inches of the leg finished. I couldn't. So I put what I have on waste yarn (I'm not ripping it out just yet) and I started another sock toe-up last night. It was late, so I only got about 1/2 the toe done (and I think I made a mistake a few rows back, so I may be re-doing a little bit).

I found the pattern on Ravelry and looked at the project pics that are out there. I learned 2 things. I'm not the only one who's making/made changes to the sock. In comparison, my modified sock (once it's done) will be closer to the intended sock than some of the other changed socks are.

Because it's got me curious, I'm going to try to make the cable 'backwards' (upside down?) so even though I'm starting at the toe, it ends at row 1 at the top, to match the intended sock.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010 07:55:02 AM »

I picked up this project again. I tried, I really did, to convince myself to continue working the sock top-down since I have a few inches of the leg finished. I couldn't. So I put what I have on waste yarn (I'm not ripping it out just yet) and I started another sock toe-up last night. It was late, so I only got about 1/2 the toe done (and I think I made a mistake a few rows back, so I may be re-doing a little bit).

I found the pattern on Ravelry and looked at the project pics that are out there. I learned 2 things. I'm not the only one who's making/made changes to the sock. In comparison, my modified sock (once it's done) will be closer to the intended sock than some of the other changed socks are.

Because it's got me curious, I'm going to try to make the cable 'backwards' (upside down?) so even though I'm starting at the toe, it ends at row 1 at the top, to match the intended sock.

Good for you for trying it toe up! I think you'll probably enjoy the socks better that way.  You also could save the top down part and graft it to one of your toe up socks to save a little bit of time?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThreadOrYarn
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010 01:42:33 PM »

Good for you for trying it toe up! I think you'll probably enjoy the socks better that way.  You also could save the top down part and graft it to one of your toe up socks to save a little bit of time?

Thanks, I'll definitely like knitting them better toe-up Smiley  I hadn't thought of grafting, but that might be do-able. Once I get some of the cable work done and see if the stitches would line up ok. Some patterns graft better than others Smiley

It's funny, I didn't think I was a set-in-stone knitter who HAVE to do socks toe up (or cuff down)...I've done socks both ways, and I do prefer toe-up (obviously  Cheesy ) but this one is making my brain go ka-plooie when I try knitting them cuffdown. I think it's because there's 4 different patterns (really it's just 2, but front/back has one and left/right has another, so that's 4 to keep track of) and doing it top down you start them ALL RIGHT AWAY. At least doing it toe-up, you start with just one for the foot and add the rest later. Mind games Smiley
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010 01:47:01 PM by ThreadOrYarn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010 08:16:10 AM »

Oh, duh, I didn't think about the cables lining up...yea, that might be kind of tricky to get them to match.  Well, if that doesn't work, then you have a cup cozy Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Curtain Rods
Tute Tuesday: Fold Out ATC
I'm Meltingggg!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...