A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 318,354
Currently Running With Scissors:
353 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 157
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Sketchbook Project Craftalong 2010  (Read 168802 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beckashell

Television addict.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #590 on: August 16, 2010 03:49:54 AM »

I am using water color papers.  I started out using the original, but I gave it up after I tore the third one with the tip of my pen...and yeah, everything was bleeding through them.

It wasn't hard to take it all apart and put it back together, at least not with my sewing machine to help do the hard part.

Thanks! I think the reason I can't bring myself to start it because of the paper. And i've never bound anything before. But I had a look at the spine today and it didn't seem too tricky...

ok, signing up for If You Lived Here... in kraft brown. Thinking of doing a kind of running train of thought every evening, documenting each day, one interesting fact per day, until I run outta space.  And gluing 2 pages together to combat thinness. Smiley  It'll be like a blog, so I'm thinking of posting pages instead of writing my blog while I work on this!

Welcome! I love the idea of blogging in your sketchbook. I think doing a Twitter-like thing of only writing with a certain amount of characters could be fun as well. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ffrogg526
Stitches in the Musical Weave

I can do that... I think.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #591 on: August 16, 2010 04:33:57 AM »

Bethie - I love your "POP" page!  And the fact that your pages are interactive is amazing!  Great work so far, I can't wait to see more!

I'm still waiting on my book.  But I'm thinking about attempting to make some pop-up pages.  I'll definetly have to re-bind the book with new paper if I'm going to do that. 

I got the e-mail a few days ago saying that its been shipped so maybe today or tomorrow I'll come home to find a sketchbook!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Need Pink Floyd stamps for hubby! Will Swap!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #592 on: August 16, 2010 06:09:09 AM »

Bethieb--your pages are very bold and brave--I love how you have turned real life into art...your black and white drawings are wonderful and intricate and I love the flap idea as well!

I tried a fold out page last night and think it is going to work out great, but I worry about how durable it is going to be...I think I might need to beef up the paper a bit with more paper...

Glad to see you joining in puamelia and Ffrogg526!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

foufigirl

Sketchbook Project Theme: In Flight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #593 on: August 16, 2010 06:47:37 AM »

I finally got started on my sketchbook this weekend- hooray! First I stripped the cover off- it was the supplied grey and boring. I thrifted a novel and used it's cover to replace it -though I haven't got the inside done yet- here's my cover! (And I replaced the sticker on the back where it's supposed to go...!) I'm leaving the back until I'm done as a "the end" once I have completed the inside....

https://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/12433_15Aug10_sketchbook-cover.jpg

I modgepodged it with some recycled kraft paper and made an ATC to go in the inset area. I'm going to use the sketchbook paper from the supplied book but modegpodge or glue it together with other papers to make the pages for the inside.
My theme is In Flight, so will based on me leaving my job to do my own thing- taking the leap!- but also around living your dreams and letting them fly!

I love this!!  Also have a question - how exactly did you do the sticker on the back?  Did you peel it off and then restick it?  Just curious because I have been thinking about making a different cover for mine and keep getting stuck on that sticker detail.

Thanks!! And yes, the sticker peels off really easily- at least on mine it did- so I just pulled it off & stuck it on the new cover. I guess if it didn't want to come off you could always cut around it & glue it on your new cover, as long as it's there and readable I would guess it's a-ok...!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tero
Craftito ergo sum...

Do your dream

« Reply #594 on: August 16, 2010 06:54:15 AM »

WOW I love everyones progress so far. Really digging the crochetted page edge. How great to be able to add in needle crafts into the journal.

foufigirl, I love your cover so much. Your handwriting is really amazing. Smiley

BethieB I like your design work Smiley

I can not wait to get my journal in. Every night we talk about what we want to do with it, I just need it in my hot little hands !!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I meant what I said and I said what I meant, an elephant's faithful 100%. Horton
shelina
« Reply #595 on: August 16, 2010 08:09:07 AM »

Hey Bethie
I love your pages so far. I think that is a really good idea to post your progress every weekend. I done a few pages this weekend but none of them are done. I got started on a big pull out page that unfolds into a large sketch. I stuck it right into the middle so I can make that middle binding stronger. There really isn't to much on the large page yet since the process of getting the dimensions and everything just right took so long Sad

Your book looks good so far. I also love the flap pages and think I may try to add some to my book also!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sarcastra
« Reply #596 on: August 16, 2010 09:19:29 AM »

Just ... wow.  I love everything that has been posted so far.  I'm enjoying reading about what everyone is planning and doing.

If anyone figures out how to get that sticker safely off the back for replacement, please speak up.  I'm probably going to end up putting new covers on my new pages so that sticker will need to move.  If I can't get it off alone, I think I'll just cut the thing out of the cover and then peel off layers of the cover until the sticker is thin again and paste it on the new cover.  Glue will fix an amazing amount of things!

I have no page progress to show as I'm still in the preliminary stages, sketching, carving, test printing.  I did join the ephemera swap for this, so I think that will be fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shelina
« Reply #597 on: August 16, 2010 09:25:15 AM »

Even though everyone is talking like the sticker peeled off easily for them I was to scared to attempt it lol I left it where it was and built my cover around it  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Need Pink Floyd stamps for hubby! Will Swap!!

« Reply #598 on: August 16, 2010 10:37:03 AM »

You guys don't need to worry about the back sticker so much...if you go to the FAQ section on the website, they tell you that should the label fall off or get damaged, just let them know when you send in your sketchbook and they will replace it...no big deal...apparently, they have done this a few (thousands) times Wink

In fact, I found quite a few of my questions answered there as well...like what happens if some of your pages are a bit bigger than the cover...no big deal either...and, it can be as thick as you want as long as the length and width are about the same...the depth or thickness of the book does not matter...ha ha you should see some of the past journals--whoa--there is one that looks to be about 3-4 inches thick!

With that in mind, I am cutting off the spine on my book and making a new spine to accomodate my pages if I can figure out how not to lose the details that I painted too close to the fold of the pages...grrr...from now on, I am leaving myself about 1/4 inch from the fold so that I don't have to worry about the binding!

I forgot to comment on how wonderful the dream/fly cover turned out!  How inspiring and uplifting that theme is!  Can't wait to see the inside pages of all the ideas! So far, I would read every single journal that has a cover done because I just think they are so interesting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BethieB

Welcome to the nuthouse, enjoy your stay! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #599 on: August 16, 2010 11:08:42 AM »

Thanks you guys so much for the comments and encouragement!!  I feel like I could churn out another page or seven right now after all those kind words Smiley

foufigirl - I was thinking about cutting and gluing the sticker onto a new cover, and then I read the information Always posted so now I am not quite so worried.  Thank you both for your help!

Can't wait to see more or do more, so I think I might go offline for the day and really work on my sketchbook.  See you guys later. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://messymama.wordpress.com
Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 157 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Curtain Rods
Tute Tuesday: Fold Out ATC
I'm Meltingggg!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...