A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 315,932
Currently Running With Scissors:
365 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Classic Fourth Doctor Sonic Screwdriver  (Read 6441 times)
Tags for this thread: doctor_who , dr_who , tv_show  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Britannica
« on: July 06, 2010 02:56:04 PM »

"Who looks at a screwdriver and thinks, 'Ooh, this could be a little more sonic'?"

What Doctor Who costume can be complete without a sonic screwdriver?

First, here are the reference photographs I used:
http://www.shillpages.com/dw/story/d4/st--4b08.jpg
http://www.shillpages.com/dw/story/d4/st--4d22.jpg

Both are sonic screwdrivers of the Fourth Doctor (played by Tom Baker), but they differ slightly- the ring of one is red, while the other is silver for example. Mine is a bit of a compromise between the two. It's thinner like the second (although the proportions differ), but I did a red wash over the ring so it's neither silver nor red.

It's far from perfect, but not bad considering the materials I used- a pen, an automatic pencil, a grommet I saved from an old shower curtain, and a button.

The cone at the top was the pen tip (or whatever you call that piece). The ring was the grommet. The piece below that was the inside cylinder from the automatic pencil, and next is the top of the pen (you can see where I had broken off the pen clip), and the rest is the body of the pen. I stuffed the inside of that piece with aluminum foil so it would weigh a bit more, and at the very bottom, I glued an actual button. I had to sand it all before painting it so that the paint would stick, and even so, it was still difficult.

I'm lucky that the Fourth Doctor's sonic screwdriver didn't have a light because I was looking for something around that I could use (before I looked at reference photos), and while I managed to salvage an LED with wires and batteries, in the process, I broke it. Electronics and I do not work together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fontiua
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010 04:39:44 PM »

MUST MAKE MY OWN! thanks for the awesome idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creating something from nothing is the most theraputic thing in this world for my soul.
FreckledCrafter

Always bring a bannana to a party!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010 04:43:17 PM »

Ingenious!!!! I know of a few group buys for replicas but they're like $90 and this is much more my price range. Two thumbs WAY up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog!!!

<3 <3 http://freckledcrafts.blogspot.com/ <3 <3
Britannica
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010 08:31:54 PM »

Thanks!

It actually didn't cost me anything to make as the stuff was already about- superglue, acrylic paints, clear nail polish (as a finish), pens (the pen was a freebee too), etc., but I'm sure the real cost would be under ten dollars if not less- definitely less than ninety All the same, those props with blacklights and special pens are pretty awesome. *Sigh*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lilybet85
Crafting Sci-Fi Geek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010 09:45:55 AM »

This is outstanding! I really love it! (I'm in the process of making a female Doctor costume based on the David Tennant doctor... now I may have to try making one of these!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lilybet85.blogspot.com/ For the Geeky Craftster!

"I'm glad you've got an absolute definition of life in the universe, but perhaps the universe has got ideas of its own." The Doctor

"It is possible to commit no mistake and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life." Captain Picard
Britannica
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010 03:45:05 PM »

This is outstanding! I really love it! (I'm in the process of making a female Doctor costume based on the David Tennant doctor... now I may have to try making one of these!)

Well, that Doctor's sonic screwdriver is more complicated, but I'm sure using parts of pens and such is still possible. This forum should be helpful. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...