A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,457
Currently Running With Scissors:
168 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tricorder Bag  (Read 9765 times)
Tags for this thread: star_trek  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Tatterhood

I have a wooden spoon!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 29, 2010 01:10:04 AM »

I had seen several tricorder bags in the past (such as https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=326116.0 and http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&global=1&q=tricorder#/d1kg0hj ) and when I found out there was a Star Trek convention in town, I knew I had to make a costume - and a tricorder bag/purse of my own! It was quite function and doesn't look too shabby either!

The bag was basically made of scraps - it was made from leftover canvass-plastic-y fabric from another bag project, parts of a t-shirt, part of a lieutenants' braid, and some silver screen-printing paint (which did not like the main bag material at all!). Between the lining and outer-layer I sewed in a small cardboard box, to help keep its shape. A functional top flap held everything together (and gave you a glimpse of the 'screen area' of the tricorder') and there was a middle flap you could flip down to see more detail.

I was able to jam our keys, id, money, hand sanitizer, cellphone, (stupid dumb) camera, granola bars, cookies, con programs and pamphlets, makeup and bobby-pins and a comb into the tricorder purse!

I have to apologize for the weird image cropping and quality - sadly, after returning from the con, we discover that our camera went haywire and corrupted all the images we had  Cry We were able to save 'parts' of a few (bad) pictures, so that's why I have fuzzy, out-of-focus, oddly-cropped images Sad When we get a new camera, I'll have to take some proper photos!

Hope it inspires others (being trekkies, con-attenders, or just crafters) to make their own!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Portfolio & Blog
Games that I make for iPhone & iPad!
And I wasn't kidding about that spoon!
KlingonConQueso
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010 01:23:01 AM »

That's really cool! You did an excellent job. I always thought the tricorder looked like Spock's man-purse anyway.

Also, I love what you did with your hair. Janice Rand would be proud.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010 01:31:48 AM »

Whoah! Great purse, and awesome action picture! You really did a great job on this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Radmom
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010 06:46:29 AM »

I am very pleased with your ST outfit, life long fan. My first Sci-fi Con I was 4/5 and I met Sulu (George Takei) while wearing a live long and prosper shirt. LOL

I bet a lot of people wanted pics of you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tillstar
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010 06:49:46 AM »

That's a really cool purse. And: Great hair! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

I've got a smile on my face & trees all around me

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010 09:44:57 AM »

Wow I love it.

I love it with the whole outfit too.

Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

The only PhD I earned stands for Pretty Happy Dropout! Now starting new adventures!
Spidersweb
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010 10:32:35 AM »

What pattern did you use to make your costume?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/Spidersweb  (it's only a little filled out!)

In-Search-Of:
-> Stride "Sweet Cinnamon" If you have it in your area, will you PM me?  My mother loves it, and we can NEVER find it in our stores here.  Will negotiate for some!
Tatterhood

I have a wooden spoon!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010 12:27:20 PM »

Thanks everyone for the comments Smiley

I used the "NEWLY REVISED Star Trek TOS Uhura Uniform Pattern Dress" - a lot of people asked where I bought the costume, so it definitely I think had the 'right' look!

Here is a link to where I bought the pattern (hopefully it won't be taken down) - http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390198160840&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT and to her direct ebay store http://stores.shop.ebay.ca/Katarra8__W0QQ_armrsZ1. I know craftster isn't the place to put links and say 'go buy here!' but I really wanted to share the link with everyone for several reasons:

I was talking to a few people at the con who had made their own costumes. They had all purchased their patterns online from a different source and ran into a few problems; there is an older version of the pattern floating around, and it is a bit confusing! The places they bought from also shipped UPS, which is not-so-great if you live out of the states (the duty and handling fees are VERY expensive with UPS!!). The lady I purchased the pattern from not only has the up-to-date-pattern, sells the braid and insignias (and even fabric!), ships USPS (with options) but she is also the one who made the patterns! So if you run into any problems, she is the gal to go to!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Portfolio & Blog
Games that I make for iPhone & iPad!
And I wasn't kidding about that spoon!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Cute Crib Sheets
April 24, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Toiletry Bag

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...