A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Want to join a Craft swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 320,816
Currently Running With Scissors:
256 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting + Pets = Test of Patience  (Read 2266 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

LimeRiot
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 22, 2010 07:22:33 PM »

I have great danes and dachshunds and they quite literally played out this scene from the old Disney movie, The Ugly Dachshund (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iraBZJ-zvLM) for me today.

Grrrrr. Our doxies love yarn and are jealous of anything I touch or hold that isn't them. This tends to lead to general naughtiness when it comes to my knitting.

I've decided the best way to punish them would be to knit very embarrassing sweaters and hats for them and parade them through the dog park.

Does anyone else have a similar problem with your pets feeling the need to compete with your knitting?

And just for laughs, here is a quick shot of some of the aftermath. Beatrice looks so innocent, doesn't she?

« Last Edit: June 22, 2010 07:23:09 PM by LimeRiot » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Doxie24_7
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010 08:21:58 PM »

OMG I have two Dachshunds and they are jealous of EVERYTHING I do. I can't even watch TV. Meadow, who is the eldest by only a month, is queen of all queens. She even gets mad when I pat Bell, my other doxie. Whenever Meadow doesn't like what I'm doing she mouths my hands and flips her nose until SOME HOW I land up petting her. But when it comes to yarn crafts Belle's the thief. She steal anything she can lay on that's soft. Balls of yarn, coats even my underwear. I don't know how many socks I've lost to that dog.

Well, there you go, you got me on a doggie rant.  Cheesy  I couldn't help it once I saw a picture of a doxie 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010 06:23:02 AM »

LimeRiot, you're dogs are super cute!!

I have two cats and the definitely like yarn, however they tend to chew on my needles when I'm not looking!! It doesn't even matter what they are made of: plastic, metal or wood, they try and eat them all!  I definitely make sure I put my WIPs in bags so they don't get them when I'm not looking.

BTW, I think it is a great idea to parade your dogs in embarassing sweaters and hats, lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NightOwl21

after all this time I finally show my true form

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010 06:59:49 PM »

lol yes innocent indeed, I can see her saying "It was like that when I got here."

I have two cats that use my knitting as a punishment If I haven't given them enough scratches or kisses or grumpy button pushing then they attach the balls of yarn and pull it out everywhere yeesh.  My sisters cat though is actually more evil at it then my own he always goes after it if he's awake and see's me knitting. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I now have 2 shops! Scandalous! Take a visit and enjoy Smiley

Jewelry and Wedding Accessories: http://www.somewearintyme.etsy.com

Crafts and supplies: http://www.squidooink.etsy.com

Wists: http://www.wists.com/nightowl21

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/somesquid
LimeRiot
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010 07:38:06 PM »

Ha ha! It's so fun hearing other stories of jealous pets. I'm glad I'm not the only one with naughty fur-kids.

striker - my dogs LOVE my knitting needles too. Especially the bamboo ones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010 06:07:36 AM »

Ha ha! It's so fun hearing other stories of jealous pets. I'm glad I'm not the only one with naughty fur-kids.

striker - my dogs LOVE my knitting needles too. Especially the bamboo ones.

I honestly don't get it!! They don't make chew toys out of wood (at least I don't think) so what is the fascination with the needles??!! I had some size three bamboo straights that I actually had to file smooth with a nail file, because those damn felines made the wood so rough it was snagging yarn!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010 05:19:30 AM »

My cat loves to chew on my knitting needles, and also bat them out of sight (like under the sofa!).  Luckily I use aluminium so not much harm done.  He also loves finished knitted swatches.  I mean really loves them, he'll rub all over them and purr.  That's why I have to hide my projects, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nven
Also known as Aeramel

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010 05:41:13 PM »

My calico, Isis, only ever wants attention when I'm knitting.  She tries to get in my lap and when that doesn't work she sits on the ball or slack.  One time she'd managed to eat about a meters worth of slack before I got to it.  I got it out of her, but there was no saving it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Interested in personal swaps; offering knits for eco baby and mama items.
Rinoa1024
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010 11:29:55 PM »

This thread is hilarious!  Beatrice is so adorable.  Cheesy  I'm lucky my cat Pancake isn't that interested in yarn or knitting needles.  He did chew up some of my circular cords when he was a kitten but he was chewing through all kinds of cords back then. Sad  Luckily, they were the interchangeable sort so I just bought more and made sure I always stashed my work away after I was done.  He also LOVES licking plastic bags.  Sometimes, I'll have yarn and a project stashed in a plastic bag and I'll find a bunch of teeth marks in the ballband when I take it out the next day.

He also steals my hair ties to use as toys.  However, it doesn't really bother me because I find it really cute...maybe because he also used to drop said hair ties into his water bowl all the time when he was a kitten and my boyfriend said he did it because "they smell like mommy" and he wants to keep all his food and precious things together in one place. Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010 06:11:37 AM »

This thread is hilarious!  Beatrice is so adorable.  Cheesy  I'm lucky my cat Pancake isn't that interested in yarn or knitting needles.  He did chew up some of my circular cords when he was a kitten but he was chewing through all kinds of cords back then. Sad  Luckily, they were the interchangeable sort so I just bought more and made sure I always stashed my work away after I was done.  He also LOVES licking plastic bags.  Sometimes, I'll have yarn and a project stashed in a plastic bag and I'll find a bunch of teeth marks in the ballband when I take it out the next day.

He also steals my hair ties to use as toys.  However, it doesn't really bother me because I find it really cute...maybe because he also used to drop said hair ties into his water bowl all the time when he was a kitten and my boyfriend said he did it because "they smell like mommy" and he wants to keep all his food and precious things together in one place. Embarrassed

OMG, one of my cats likes to lick the bejeezus out of plastic bags too!! How wierd is that??!? They also both like to use hair ties as toys too!! I thought I just had bizarro cats, but it looks like it might be more common than I thought!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: The Red, White, and Blue
May 23, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Candy Wrapper Bracelet

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...