A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 315,248
Currently Running With Scissors:
297 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Uh... what hook was I using?  (Read 35039 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Smeddley
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 15, 2010 04:32:28 PM »

Okay, I know it's not a crochet project per se, but crocheters are the only ones who will understand it!  (Let me know if it should be posted somewhere else, I looked around and didn't know what other forum it fit in, but I'm a newb)

I've had a problem with too many projects, and often times I need that hook I was using for an older, hibernating project for a shiny new project.  The problem then arises when I go back to the old project, often one without instructions or one where I've gleefully ignored the instructions, and can't remember what hook I was using (and/or found out in shifting it I've accidentally ripped out a bunch of work).  

Then it hit me - an idea so simple I can't believe they're not on every store in the country!  Maybe because they think people finish one project before they go on to another?  (*snort*)  Or maybe because it's so simple.  Grab a large necklace hook, a piece of thread, and some beads - regular and alphabet - and VOILA!

(I'm too new to post an image, sorry):

The necklace clasp goes around the working loop to keep it from unraveling, and the alphabet bead reminds you what hook you are using!  You can also use numbers, if you're using steel hooks or one of the 'in-between-the letters' aluminum hooks.  Totally simple to quickly slap together a whole set!

Now I can start hundreds of projects without having to buy more hooks!  Wait...  I thought this was a good idea?!

« Last Edit: June 15, 2010 04:56:31 PM by fantasticmio - Reason: added the pic » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Zephyr Snuggles
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010 05:03:50 PM »

I need to do this...right away!
It fixes my two main problems!
Genius  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fontiua
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010 05:31:24 PM »

I'm just a beginning to crochet but this is a brilliant idea. Thank You!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creating something from nothing is the most theraputic thing in this world for my soul.
CrazyClymer
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010 05:38:44 PM »

Absolutely BRILLIANT!!! Now I need to find someone to make them for me!!

Heidi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."  Dr. Suess
Alliecat30
I like to make things...

break it down....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010 05:41:06 PM »

Great idea!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrscommons
Life is like a box of pudding - it only gets messier!

Destined to be a crochet-y old lady!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010 06:07:18 PM »

GENIUS!!!

You know, you could probably market this on Etsy. Sell some individually (like the most commonly used hooks - G,H,I,J) and sell some full sets. I think it'd work. I'd buy them!

Simply awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zkatom
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010 06:48:28 PM »

Seriously brilliant!  I will definitely be using this idea!!!!  Thanks bunches for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
everkutz
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010 07:20:10 PM »

Very nice!  I use something similar because I too have way too many projects going and could never remember what hook I was using with what project. 

I use a coiless safety pin and slide on a decorative bead or two and then a letter bead and then another decorative bead or two.  That's it.  I pin one on every project as soon as I start it! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crocheting is like prostitution.  First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money.  Maybe that is why they call us Hookers?
Just_webby
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010 08:06:46 PM »

BRILLIANT!!! SHEER GENIUS right there... I'm gonna have to look into doing this (if only because I have had trouble traveling with my projects... they always unravel a bunch and then I have to rework what I've already done... frustrating. Thanks for sharing your idea with us!!! (I also think you could make some money selling these on Etsy!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EvilRachel
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010 11:14:57 PM »

I actually use almost the exact same thing on my ufo's when I steal the hooks from them, but yours are much prettier than mine.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Spinach and Cheese Gnocchi Bake
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
February 13, 2019 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...