A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
220 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 102
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frugal-Along OT Thread/Frugal Tips/Daily Finds Welcome!  (Read 10282 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« on: June 09, 2010 12:31:20 AM »

Hey all, in an effort to keep the Frugal Along thread on topic, I am starting a thread here for our frugal tips of the day/random chit-chat for things that aren't crafty. It's really hard to stay on topic over there, and I just went to post my little frugal story from today and realized it was not appropriate.

Of course anyone that has any frugal tips is welcome to post here, and if it's frugally crafty please post it in the Frugal Along Thread!  Smiley

My frugal fun-ness for the day was stopping by the Franz bakery outlet and buying a giant bag of "Animal Bread" for $2. It was 8 or 10 packages of stale hot dog buns, which two of my nephews, my sil, and I fed a ton of geese, ducks, and nutria with! And a few pigeons, seagulls, squirrels, and little tiny birds Wink The kids love feeding the animals and that was a good hour and a half of entertainment for the four of us for $2! We drove around to 3 different places near the river and had a blast!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love to cook, have an overflowing pantry, or want to save a little money on your grocery bill?
Join the Pantry Challenge Cookalong!

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
ysmeine
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010 07:06:03 AM »

That sounds like great fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pantsafari
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010 11:29:01 AM »

yay off topic thread!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The never ending quest for pants continues...
llisaredd
While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats. - Mark Twain

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010 12:32:03 PM »

I just realized it's Frugal-along. I've been saying Frug-along in my mind (knowing that it was about frugality).

Anywhoo... I volunteered to feed a bunch of people at church next week for VBS. My frugal moments today were spent visiting 4 different stores and comparing prices for the items that I will/may need. I'll go shopping Sunday and now I will know what to get and where to get it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trekky
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010 03:53:17 PM »

Apparently bread fills up birdies without much nutritional value.  According to this http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article3927291.ece cake is better for them!  (isn't cake better for everyone??  Cheesy).  Getting out & about and seeing local wildlife is a great way to spend the day, and makes us realise who we share the world with.

Loving the idea of a frugal-along tip thread.  With old bread (aslong as it isn't mouldy) then making bread & butter pudding is delicious (though sweet & stodgy!). Any other ideas for old bread?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010 05:18:21 PM »

Aw bummer! Well next time I will find some frugal birdseed or something!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love to cook, have an overflowing pantry, or want to save a little money on your grocery bill?

LaughingLark
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010 08:33:39 PM »

Cake might be better for birdies than bread, unless it is the cupcakes I made from scratch one time while distracted. I accidentally left out the ingredients to make them rise. They smelled like cake, but looked like hard little hockey pucks. I took them to the lake for the birds, and discovered they made decent skipping stones, but the birdies averted their beaks and did not partake.  Cheesy

On frugality tips that might or might not be OT, I check at retailmenot for coupon codes before I buy anything online. Joann's, Hancock Fabric, etc regularly have valid codes you can get here:
http://www.retailmenot.com/
It never hurts to see if the store you are shopping at has codes before you check out.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010 08:48:15 PM »

Ooh that's cool LL, I haven't heard of that site before!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goldfishpollywog
Goldfish kisses *<><

I have Never met an unimportant person. Never.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010 04:06:25 PM »

Oh how I wish cake was better for me than whole wheat bread.

I found a whole set of recipes for preserving goods.  For example, pineapple spears, and pickled everything I think.  Something intriguing, there are recipes for tomato ketchup, along with apple ketchup and mushroom ketchup.  Any ideas what they could be used for?  Either go on sale often and my family loves them, so using the left overs is a frugal thing, right.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AuFishSD on Reddit

AuFish on Tumblr
Feel free to find me and pm me about crafty goodness
PixieVal
There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010 02:03:16 PM »

oh yay! Thank you MareMare for starting this thread! This will be fun to talk about all the other money saving tips in our lives that aren't really crafty! Or maybe blow off some steam about people in our lives who want to shove paper towells down our throats when we're trying to use our sham-wows or old rags!!(MIL)
We recently killed our HBO, stopped renting movies on pay-per-view and at the movie rental place(not much option since Hollywood Video shut down and they are our only rental place), and opted to get netflix instead. netflix is only 10 dollars a month, saved us about 30 dollars a month. Its really not a nessesity I guess, but when its negative 60 outside, and you have 4 feet of snow, my god TV helps take you away!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 102 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...