A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,839
Currently Running With Scissors:
195 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: baby swimsuit ??s  (Read 997 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
I.D.ten.T error

Randy Marsh, you're my hero

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2010 01:31:56 PM »

Okay, so I went out looking for a swim suit for my 10 month old daughter, and didnt like anything that I saw.  The cheapest (and least covering, which being covered is a BIG thing for daddy) was over $30.  I then noticed that the swimsuit fabric at my fabricland was $15 a meter, and I know that I can pull off baby clothes with way less than a meter, so I think I'm going to attempt to make her bathing suit.  Here are some questionss.

Since I'm uber cheap (and can't find any anyways)  to buy a pattern, I was thinking of taking a onsie pattern I made up and adapting that a little bit for the suit, do you think this will work?  I like the idea of her having a one piece because it will appease her daddys concerns of her showing too much skin, but I want to be able to access diapers without having to completly strip her of a wet suit and then try to wrestle her back into it if we're not done swimming.  So I was thinking snaps on the crotch would be benifical, although Im not sure how the material would hold up to it? 
Any ideas or suggestions?  Or do you know of a free pattern or tutorial online I can look at?? any input would be greatly appreciated! thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leighi123

The Little Sewing Shop

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010 07:43:24 AM »

I think a tankini style would be more practical esp for diaper changes or going potty.  Snaps I dont think would work that well on swimsuit fabric, and metal ones might rust.  - you could even make the top long enough to overlap the bottom, or even make a little 'skirt' around the bottom of the top  (which would be more coverage, and be cute! 

You could make a shirt/shorts style like aussie cossies (good for sun coverage too!)

I would look at a tank top, and trace that to make the pattern for the top - add lenghth if you want.  Or use the top of your onsie pattern and make it a bit longer and hem or put a skirt on the bottom (long strip, hem one long edge and gather the other edge and sew it on)

For the bottoms, get an old onsie (keep it snapped) or underpants and cut it open to see the shape, leave room for a casing and sew it like you would underware.  You could also use 'katrina's quick soaker pattern' (its free, google it!), and adjust the rise. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...