A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
149 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hunger Games Fan Jewelry (image heavy)  (Read 4010 times)
Tags for this thread: hunger_games , blood , rose , bracelet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
crazydoc
"Never, ever give up" - Winston Churchill "Never, ever grow up" - Dr. Seuss

View Profile WWW
« on: June 01, 2010 09:30:35 AM »

I've recently become a fan of Suzanne Collins' brilliant trilogy (trust me folks, this is one of those books with levels of meaning that reach far beyond its intended adolescent audience).

Here are a few pieces of jewelry I made to commemorate some of the characters in the book:

This one is called "Blood and Roses".

Katniss describes the villian President Snow as smelling of blood and roses. This bracelet features all sterling plated twisted bugles, and 5 glass "blood" droplets flanked by antiqued (to represent Snow's age-defying, artificial longevity) rosebuds. It's finished with a sterling plated lobster clasp.

The second is a "tracker jacker" healing leaf (the one Rue offered to Katniss to heal her stings). The penny is for size.

The third is a pair of "Firey Mockingjay Feather" earrings. These silver plated french hook earrings feature 3  genuine fire opal Swarovski crystals (one for each installment of Collins' trilogy in which Katniss, "the Girl on Fire" appears) complimented by 2 silver plated balls. Delicately dangling from the ends are a single, silver plated "mockingjay" feather.

The fourth are beaded flowers in the colors Katniss used when she thumbed her nose at the GameMakers by honoring Rue in her death.

The fifth is usable as a cell phone charm, zipper pull, or purse fob, this charm leash represents KATNISS' COURAGE.

It features

an arrow-pierced apple representing her first challenge to the GameMakers at the beginning of THG,

an iridescent leaf representing her courageous decision to treat Peeta's wounds despite her fears of incompetence at the healing arts, and

a poison berry representing her final, life-saving act of bravery of refusing to play by the GameMaker's rules

And at last (congrats, btw, if you've made it this far in this ridiculously long post), is my favorite. It's "In Remembrance of Rue" (that's the working name, anyway).

~CD~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shhhhhhhhh...it's Strictly Top Secret...
strictlytopsecret.etsy.com
death_by_vodka
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010 02:14:44 PM »

I like your work, but ESPECIALLY the first bracelet! Too pretty!

The Hunger Games series is amazing; I can't wait for Mockingjay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xtHEgRAYpILGRIMx
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010 11:44:40 AM »

OH MY GOD! I love all of these! Especially the Rue necklace and the President Snow bracelet! THG and CF are amazing!!!! Two of my favorite books Smiley You should do THG Swap. I am gonna Smiley Here's the link to the info if you haven' t already heard of it & are interested Smiley
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=331178.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you saw two guys named Hambone and Flippy, which one would you think liked dolphins most? I'd say Flippy, wouldn't you? You'd be wrong though. It's Hambone."-Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy
nazarets
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010 06:18:00 AM »

I absolutely adore everything!  So thoughtful and pretty!  I can't wait for the next book, either!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazydoc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010 03:36:14 PM »

Thanks for the comments and the heads up on the swap.

Here's a "muttation claw" pendant I made. It's about 4" long.

There's one with an aluminum "free Panem" tag, and one without.

I'm not sure what I should do for the necklace part. I think I'd like something more "organic" looking and raw. I'm thinking maybe braided suede? I was toying with the idea of a simple chain, too.

I'd love to hear any ideas for the best way to hang this thing. One I put a little hanging thing on, and the other I didn't. Maybe wire wrap it a bit?

Looking forward to hearing your ideas!

~CD~

p.s. Here a silly pitch I wrote for it. I'm donating it as a giveaway prize on an HG fan site. It took me so long to make. I had no idea something so simple could take so long!

Attention citizens for a free Panem!

Deeply saddened by the loss of their beloved tribute, Cato, the people of District 2 wish to make his loss count for the rebellion.

Tragically, Cato's body armor failed him in the end. After the hovercraft retrieved his body, a razor sharp, 4" muttation claw was found partially embedded in his skull.

Thoroughly sterilized and filed smooth for safety, this potent reminder of of the stakes of the rebellion and the iron grip of the Capitol is a powerful addition to any loyal citizen's wardrobe. It features an aluminum tag proudly declaring the rebels' motto, FREE PANEM.

A second claw of unknown origin has also been recovered by the rebellion. Wearing this piece is ideal for a more subtle nose-thumbing to the Capitol without arousing the suspicion of your local PeaceKeepers.

What more perfect way to display your loyalty!

These pendants have not yet been strung. Choices will include simple braided suede or robust metal chain.

This piece proudly brought to you by the Fund for a United Panem. Support the rebel cause and sport a one-of-a-kind piece of history around your neck.

Long live the rebellion, and FREE PANEM!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazydoc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010 12:58:08 PM »

It's finally done Smiley

Thanks to another Crafster member who generously posted a tutorial I used to create the strap.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2010 10:41:34 AM by crazydoc » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...