A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Does your gift list have you stumped? Can never figure out what to make for Great Aunt Felma?  Each day through December 24, we are featuring a fabulous gift tutorial!  Check out the 2017 Handmade Holiday Gift Guide for (free!) recipes, patterns and more.
Total Members: 314,819
Currently Running With Scissors:
142 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Alice in Wonderland Hand-bound notebook  (Read 1930 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

suzyscissors

There's only one thing I love more than crafting..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 25, 2010 06:19:47 AM »

I decided to take a shot at something new. On my latest Good Will hunting trip *pun intended* I found some book covers at the ScrapBox.  Well I actually found a LOT of supplies there but the book covers and gray fabric are all that's relevant for this post Smiley

I decided to make a book to match my favorite crafting topic - ALICE IN WONDERLAND!!!  I made a silhouette of stretched Alice to use on the cover.  Here's the finished project..

The cover is wrapped with gray fabric painted with a textile ink.  I traced the silhouette of Alice on to the cover to have a guide on the cover of where to paint.

Since this was my first go at book binding I had a little trial and error to get the book block together and in the cover.  I started out trying to use and nail to punch holes... Mistake.. for me at least.  I consider myself a handy girl but sometimes I think my hammer is out for blood.  I ended up using a push pin on each set of 10 sheets.  I then sewed the pages - not to hard really - and had by book block together!  Step One - check!

I used a cute plaid print to take up space that I left to be able to leave a loop to keep a pen with the book.  I have about a million pens around the house but usually zero when I really need one so I thought it would be a good addition for me.

Step Two - check and check!

Then I glued the book block to the cover.  and learned after waiting for the glue to dry that it is possible to put a book block as to make the book non-fully open-able.  Tip/Reminder for next time - never do that again.  I had to place the block in with the cover completely flat and go from there.

Now I.. well, soon someone else.. has a hand bound book with the coolest fake girl I know on the cover. 

Comments/Criticism welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Quinkes
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010 07:33:00 AM »

looks great, lovely job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BethieB

Welcome to the nuthouse, enjoy your stay! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010 07:53:34 AM »

LOVE it!  I especially like your clear directions and helpful tips.  No,wait, I really like the stretched Alice...no, my favorite part is that shade of gray...okay, forget it, it's all my favorite part!!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://messymama.wordpress.com
Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
suzyscissors

There's only one thing I love more than crafting..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010 12:09:32 PM »

Thanks, girls!  I'm really happy about how this one turned out!  I appreciate your loverly comments Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Vanilla Spice Nut Mix
Meatless Monday: Cheddar Bay Biscuits
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Fabric Beads

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...