A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,630
Currently Running With Scissors:
205 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rice writing in vials, new bracelets, oh no!  (Read 2322 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

stegorawrus
♥ I'm just a crafty person :3

View Profile WWW
« on: May 21, 2010 09:40:30 PM »

Sad This jewelry making addiction is hard to not do (well I lie, it stops when you run out of ideas). Ever since my last post I've made more and more earrings/bracelets. I'm currently in looooove with using ribbon and chain. Here's some of the pictures I took but not all of the ones I've made recently are up (sister couldn't get her hands off them!)

Necklaces

(The only styles I've attempted)

Bracelets

Earrings

Cellphone gadgetry

This is the first picture I took of it.

Now I've recently acquired supplies to do some rice writing which is just vials and pens. I'm super happy that I was able to write legibly on the rice grain! I must say though it was really tough finding a glue to that would stick the cap onto the vial :/ (I even tried e6000, hypocement, and resorted to using a hot glue gun because the glue kept coming off, I came to believe that it was the oil-based solution I used).

Sorry that some have names on it >< the original files are all huge for backup purposes!! I'm also sorry that the pictures are all.. jumbled out in order, I recently did a big move and wanted to take new pics of my stuff.

Is it tacky to not "finish" the ribbons if you intend to have it tied? Like a bow? CC is always appreciated!!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010 09:41:50 PM by stegorawrus » THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazydoc
"Never, ever give up" - Winston Churchill "Never, ever grow up" - Dr. Seuss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010 10:30:45 PM »

Making jewelry IS a lot of fun, isn't it! Once you get started, you just want to keep on rolling.

I'm interested in hearing more about the "rice writing" you mentioned.

Can you tell us more about that?

~CD~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shhhhhhhhh...it's Strictly Top Secret...
strictlytopsecret.etsy.com
lacey0828
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010 12:07:58 AM »

I've been thinking about taking a step into making jewelry. Those are so beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stegorawrus
♥ I'm just a crafty person :3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010 12:35:33 PM »

Well thank you for the replies! @lacey I say you should give it a try! I started out by just doing simple things and was just ventured out through the different ideas I could come up with.

@crazydoc Sure! I'm not entirely sure what you'd like to hear about it but I'll try to cover everything!

When I first saw 'rice writing' was whe I went to Knotts Berry Farm amusement park. I came across this lady that had a little booth thing and her sign said "rice writing". So I wandered in expecting to see like "glue on rice that spells your name out onto paper" and saw something just ridiculous! She was using technical pens I think and writing people's names on these grains of rice! So I got even more tempted to try it out and used things that were similar. I read up online that it originated in Turkey and it's pretty much a grain of rice that's meant for good luck and such.

As for me making them, I personally use this one type of rice called "sweet rice" instead of "long grain rice", just because I wanted to try it out without having to buy a bag of the long grain rice and not eat it. (I used to live near an asian grocery store that sold rice by the pound and they only had sweet rice). I write on it by putting it on a piece of clay (since I already have a stash of polymer clay) and just write names or dates, whatever I can think of. Then I place it into these vials that I bought online and used this oil-based solution with glitter. That's pretty much my process Tongue

... Sorry I typed quite a storm up, I just get excited when I talk about it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Ah, fall!
Meatless Monday: Black Bean, Butternut and Spinach Skillet
@Home This Weekend: Clipboard Photo Display

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...