A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Which flip flop creation is your favorite?  Cast your vote here!
Total Members: 313,864
Currently Running With Scissors:
307 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 62
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Let's see your sewing machine!!  (Read 310118 times)
Tags for this thread: sewing_machine  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

crappiefisher
Crappiefisher

I just LOVE craftster!

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: September 22, 2008 08:06:58 AM »

to RubyTue...definitely salvage! The wood should be OK. Doesn't look like the mold has penetrated much and appears to be on the surface mostly.  Treat with a 10% solution as PennyLowe (spelling? Sorry) but only use on the bad spots.  Clean off the spores and such BEFORE cleaning. It will help. Shouldn't take to long to dry. I don't see you adding much liquid there.  Lysol works wonders as well.

I just love looking at these cool finds and I'm learning a lot about machines as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't you let nobody tell you that you can't do nothin. You can do whatevah you put your mind to!" - wise words from my Granny when I was 5 years old.
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #441 on: September 23, 2008 12:58:11 PM »

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/burningcold/sewing004.jpg

Singer Touch and Sew Special Zig-zag Model 756. She was my mom's from around 1970. I love her and she is all I have ever sewed on. She is a bit tricky in her old age(tension difficulties, the bobbin likes to get whacky sometimes) but it just takes some patience. I can't imagine using some fancy, computerized machine.

Of all my machines, even the Singer 503 that I paid $300 to have fixed, my Touch and Sew is still my favorite.  I learned to sew on my mom's T&S and nothing else compared.  I did, though, go out of my way to find one of the 600 series.  An old sewing machine guy strongly recommended the 600s over the 700s because the gears were still all metal.  And wouldn't you know it, I found a 603 at a rummage sale for $10, in the cabinet, all the attachments.  Sewed like a dream; just needed a light cleaning and oiling.  I could hardly contain my giddiness as I paid.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
merrrydeath
« Reply #442 on: September 23, 2008 01:55:38 PM »

Of all my machines, even the Singer 503 that I paid $300 to have fixed, my Touch and Sew is still my favorite.  I learned to sew on my mom's T&S and nothing else compared.  I did, though, go out of my way to find one of the 600 series.  An old sewing machine guy strongly recommended the 600s over the 700s because the gears were still all metal.  And wouldn't you know it, I found a 603 at a rummage sale for $10, in the cabinet, all the attachments.  Sewed like a dream; just needed a light cleaning and oiling.  I could hardly contain my giddiness as I paid.

If I were to buy another machine, it would definitely be a Touch and Sew because I have loved using it so much.  Despite it weighing tons.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftcore
« Reply #443 on: October 19, 2008 07:38:12 AM »

Here is mine: a Janome QC 6260:

It's quite new and i'm very happy with how easy it is to use to sew and all the options it has! i used my mom's very cheap sewing machine before and it was very annoying because it couldn't sew through a lot of fabric and it was hard to regulate its speed and all.

i keep the cardboard box of my own sewing machine in my bedroom so i always wake up wanting to sew something (but not really knowing what).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

revolution craft style now
Michellegio_sew
Seamstress ..... Not Sewer

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: November 08, 2008 06:31:04 PM »

After that Janome just above this post I feel sewing machine envy....

But here are 3 of mine (I just gave one to my mom, and also my mom is storing my treadle until I buy a bigger house)

My main man! (Actually I think she is a girl)
A Brother CS-5000I from Walmart,  Not a high end machine but it does the trick!

This one is definitley a Guy - it is tempermental
Kenmore Serger (I forget the model number suddenly)

This one is not gender identified yet...I am thinking Male - Slow but gets the job done eventually... LOL
Pfaff Smart 300E Embroidery Only - My baby! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here.
arimethia
The likes of you

Look out, Portland. I'm so indie.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #445 on: November 08, 2008 09:20:43 PM »

I have a Janome Decor Pro, but that's just old news. Here is my newest baby... or should I say, newest old lady....

Its from 1924. It has had a motor added. It works better than my newer Janome on jeans. I LOVE this machine. It was $80 at my local thrift store. It has the "bullet casing" style bobbin casing.

I do some seamstress-ing to earn some cash on the side, being a stay at home mom, and I had four pairs of jeans to hem for a client. When I attempted to use topstitching thread in my Janome on jean hems it kept jamming and making these awful moaning noises when the needle would get stuck or the bobbin casing would jam. So having just bought my Singer I figured out how to thread it (I used to own a Singer Touch 'n' Sew that I sewed my bridesmaid dresses on a few years ago. After that fiasco I gave it to my husband's aunt and bought my Janome. Anyway, I figured it would thread similar to my Touch n Sew, seeing as how they were both Singers) I'm not sure if I threaded it right but that machine made the most beautiful jean hems ever. Even when the motor quit I could just hand crank it through the side seams on the hems. I'm in LOVE.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008 09:45:51 PM by arimethia » THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #446 on: November 09, 2008 05:43:04 AM »

Yup! gearing & torque is much higher on older machines. Machines in those days had to sew much more than clothes & they were all built to pretty high standards. My dad used a treadle Singer to sew a new top for a convertible Triumph car.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xangomommy
« Reply #447 on: November 09, 2008 08:58:57 PM »

arimethia, that is a gorgeous machine!

I also picked up another one this weekend. I got this for $20 from a woman who had it handed down from her grandmother. It's a 1914 Singer 127 treadle. She used it as a plant stand so there are some water stain and damage to the top but it can be fixed. It needs cleaning, a new belt and bobbin winder rubber from what I can see. No manual. No accessories but for $20, who can pass this up??

THIS ROCKS   Logged
hummingbird30
« Reply #448 on: November 09, 2008 09:23:26 PM »

Cheesy it was a great find. in some places they still use them. how well does it sew?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xangomommy
« Reply #449 on: November 10, 2008 04:06:41 AM »

hummingbird30,

I have not tried her yet. These photos were literally taken minutes after I got her home. I have a friend who is an avid sewing machine collector and just had to get photos to her for feedback. She restores antique/vintage machines so it's a lot of fun for her to see what my latest find is. And I wanted to post here on craftster so you all can see her, too.

I have yet to find a manual as well as a couple of part of replacement parts but will report on how well she does once I get her going. She is my first treadle:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 62 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Cons to Mary Janes
Shark Week, Post Deux
A Key Component

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...