A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
214 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Simplicity 9769 corset question  (Read 1590 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
sazzra

You have vampire in your cleavage

View Profile WWW
« on: May 14, 2010 03:34:30 AM »

I'm looking to make my first ever corset with this pattern, and wondered if anyone could answer some of my  Huh. Firstly, I'm not particularly after a waist training corset or anything, more something that looks OK and isn't a complete nightmare to make, so would plastic boning do instead of the steel recommended (it will also only be getting occasional wear)? Secondly, I don't have the pattern to hand but the envelope back is vague about fabrics - I assume I need 7/8 yard of the outer AND 7/8 yard of coutil for it? And lastly (honest Wink), is it a lot more hassle to make a corset reversible than one sided (I was thinking brocade-coutil-brocade, for example).

Thanks for any help and apologies for dumb questions!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010 03:35:40 AM by sazzra - Reason: ETA the missing Rs from the ends of words » THIS ROCKS   Logged

No longer swapping, so please ignore any expressions of interest in the Ideas thread

Heavens defend me from that Welsh fairy, lest he transform me to a piece of cheese!
Aislynn
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010 06:51:52 AM »

Hi, there!  You should check out the corset thread for tons and tons of advice on corset making.  To answer at least one of your questions, though, this pattern is intended to make a corset with a single layer (the coutil) with no face or lining fabric.  It's meant to be functional.  That said, you can definitely add a fashion fabric, as well as a lining, and you can of course make the lining reversible!  Just keep in mind you probably won't want to wear it right next to bare skin, as the fashion fabric "lining" (whichever is turned in) will absorb the oils and sweat from your body.  Most satins will stain from this sort of exposure.

As for the boning, it depends on the quality, and your size.  Well-endowed women tend to need steel, unless you can fit a strapless bra underneath for support.  Think C-cup or more.  Lots of women use cable ties with good results, there are several debates about that in the corset thread.  I'm a big C, and I prefer steel, but if I use two layers of canvas, plastic will do.  (I've never made a steel boned corset, but I've worn them)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
sazzra

You have vampire in your cleavage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010 07:12:36 AM »

I've obviously missed the corset thread  Embarrassed

That's excellent though, thanks. I do own a couple of steel boned corsets but as this is more of a wear over a shirt kind of thing, I didn't think I'd need to worry Smiley I'm looking at the polyester boning you can get by the metre, two thinnish 'outside' fabrics and a coutil middle, so I reckon I can get away with that.

Again, thanks for the quick reply Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No longer swapping, so please ignore any expressions of interest in the Ideas thread

Heavens defend me from that Welsh fairy, lest he transform me to a piece of cheese!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...