A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
JUNE NEWS ANNOUNCEMENT: Have you seen the Craft Challenge announcement?  Check out the details here!
Total Members: 311,998
Currently Running With Scissors:
267 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wheel or Spindle? Which one do you use?  (Read 4964 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

.:dollface:.
« on: May 11, 2010 12:45:56 PM »

I'm curious to know how many people use a wheel or a spindle?

I have been spinning for approx. 2 years on a wheel and just recently fell in love with spinning on a drop spindle.  I never knew that you could get so much yardage on such a tiny device.  I also found it has helped with creating a smaller yarn.  I have 2 country wheels and I find getting thin/fine yarn difficult. 

Also, there is a new book out called "Respect the Spindle" which talks about using a spindle productively instead of just using it as a stepping stone to the wheel.  Has anyone read it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pintrest
Wist

I do personal swaps!
nikschaf
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010 12:51:00 PM »

I am new to spinning.  I started spinning on a drop spindle, and enjoyed it, but quickly knew that I wanted a wheel.  I truly do enjoy spinning on a wheel more than spinning on a spindle.  For me, I just really get into a meditative groove when I'm spinning on a wheel.  I wanted to get into a meditative groove with spindle spinning, but stopping to wind on every few moments distracted me.  I do love the portability of a spindle though, and there's something magical about using such an inexpensive and simple tool to create yarn.

I have paged through "Respect The Spindle" at the bookstore, but haven't read the whole thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010 07:01:19 PM »

I drool over Respect the Spindle.  I'm also part of the Group dedicated to Abby over on Ravelry lol.

I love spindle spinning, and I love using my kick spindle.  I may get a wheel in a few years but I'm having too much fun atm with my spindles.  Plus they are perfect for when you don't have the space for a wheel, which I don't have atm. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010 07:27:41 AM »

I bought a spindle first, spun one yarn, then found a relativly good deal on a wheel.  I love wheel spinning, but recently found spinning smaller chuncks of yarn on the spindle really fun!! And I test out new fibers on my spindle before I stick them on my wheel.  So, i'm kind of both, but I truely like the wheel best.  But they are nice companions, good to have skill on each if you have the space/money to have both.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

twohills
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010 01:19:35 PM »

i use a wheel. never even tried a spindle, but i wouldn't be against it at some point. i'm just so in love with my wheel that a spindle feels like i'm taking a step backwards. it'd be neat to be able to spin on the run just about anywhere, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://twohills.etsy.com - handspun yarn, knit, and crochet items & dreadlock accessories

http://twohillsdesigns.com/dreads/ - my portfolio of dread work
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010 04:26:20 PM »

dollface, Abby Franquemont Respect the Spindle is an excellent spindle instructor.  She's given workshops at SOAR on spindling.  

eta: (I forgot to answer the question)  Roll Eyes

I use my wheels the majority of the time, but I still break out the spindle. Most of the time with the spindle, I'm showing folks at the farmer's market the 3 basic steps of spinning (drafting, twisting, putting on bobbin).  Much easier to do with a spindle.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010 04:28:37 PM by mullerslanefarm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
twohills
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010 01:23:27 AM »

I use my wheels the majority of the time, but I still break out the spindle. Most of the time with the spindle, I'm showing folks at the farmer's market the 3 basic steps of spinning (drafting, twisting, putting on bobbin).  Much easier to do with a spindle.

i'm sorry if you get asked this all the time, but how many/what kind of wheels do you have?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://twohills.etsy.com - handspun yarn, knit, and crochet items & dreadlock accessories

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010 11:54:46 AM »

Not as many as other spinners I know, but enough to keep me comfortable!

My two main wheels are a Kromski Sonata with a WooLee winder and an Ashford Traveller (DD/DT).

The Ashford was my first wheel.  My DH bought it for me as a wedding present.  I used that as my primary wheel for 6 years. Then I got a nice bonus check from work and bought myself the Kromski w/ WooLee winder.  The Kromski is the wheel I do all my spinning on, the Traveller is set up with the Jumbo flyer/bobbin and I do all my plying on that and occasionally, art yarns.  Nathan Lee is making me a WooLee winder for the Ashford Jumbo.

In between the Traveller and the Sonata, I also aquired a late 1700's Irish style Saxon flax wheel, an Ashford Traditional (for a student wheel) and a late 1800's Walking Wheel (with an accelerated flyer).

I sold the Traddy to a student and spin on the antique wheels for special events.

I actually have more looms (8 in total) than I do wheels, and I don't weave that much!  I just know that one of these years my hands may not be able to hold the sticks & hooks for knitting and crochet so I will still have the need to create cloth from my handspun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

twohills
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010 12:11:03 PM »

Not as many as other spinners I know, but enough to keep me comfortable!

My two main wheels are a Kromski Sonata with a WooLee winder and an Ashford Traveller (DD/DT).

The Ashford was my first wheel.  My DH bought it for me as a wedding present.  I used that as my primary wheel for 6 years. Then I got a nice bonus check from work and bought myself the Kromski w/ WooLee winder.  The Kromski is the wheel I do all my spinning on, the Traveller is set up with the Jumbo flyer/bobbin and I do all my plying on that and occasionally, art yarns.  Nathan Lee is making me a WooLee winder for the Ashford Jumbo.

In between the Traveller and the Sonata, I also aquired a late 1700's Irish style Saxon flax wheel, an Ashford Traditional (for a student wheel) and a late 1800's Walking Wheel (with an accelerated flyer).

I sold the Traddy to a student and spin on the antique wheels for special events.

I actually have more looms (8 in total) than I do wheels, and I don't weave that much!  I just know that one of these years my hands may not be able to hold the sticks & hooks for knitting and crochet so I will still have the need to create cloth from my handspun.

well, now, that's just awesome. i'm mega jealous of your antique wheels! i'm using a schacht ladybug right now, and it's my first and only wheel. i hope to gather a large collection over the years. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010 02:12:32 PM »

Katie,
Don't be jealous ... they're just 'things'. 

::Warning - Grammy wisdom on::

I'd rather buy a workingwheel from someone that wants to use it just for decoration or 'just to have' & sell it to someone that will put it to use, than to have a collection of wheels gathering dust just to have them.

I admit, I have a large collection of different types of looms.  That's just because I don't know which ones I'll eventually put to use (and one is in the midst of being restored).  Once I get to the point of my life where I can't knit/crochet/tat anymore, then each of the looms will be tried out and the ones I won't be using will be sold to someone that will put them to use.

It's like old horse-drawn farm implements that folks will put in their yards as ornaments.  If they still have good use for them, my DH will get them, restore them and put them to work behind the draft horses.

Things that don't get used either rot or just collect dust.

Have a purpose for the wheels you acquire, you'll treasure them more.

::okay, grammy wisdom off::
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Wonderful Walls
Machine Embroidery: not just for tea towels
Tute Tuesday: Ribbon Ice Cream Cone

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...