A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,843
Currently Running With Scissors:
220 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Poppet Mini Swap Round 2 (Sign-ups April 28th-May 12th) (Send-by June 14th)  (Read 33752 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
MommyTheMaid
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010 01:14:05 PM »

I am having a terrible time finding alova suede (or anything similar) for a good price.  I used to get it at Wal-Mart for $4 a yard but they have removed the fabric from all the WM's around here.  I have looked at 3 different Joanns, Hobby Lobby, and Denver Fabrics. 

Everywhere I look I end up paying about $17 a yard because of shipping.  I really want to sign up but am not sure I want to pay that much for fabric when my kiddos love the ones I make from fleece which is always available and you can use a coupon for Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blue_lalita
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010 02:48:10 PM »

I am having a terrible time finding alova suede (or anything similar) for a good price.  I used to get it at Wal-Mart for $4 a yard but they have removed the fabric from all the WM's around here.  I have looked at 3 different Joanns, Hobby Lobby, and Denver Fabrics.

I've never actually used alova.  The first two times I made a poppet, it was "out of season" and I used regular craft suede from the home decor section - it's expensive, but I only needed 1/3 yard, and I used a 40% off coupon.  it doesn't really stretch but worked well. This last time, I found alova, but didn't really like how it felt. I ended up buying moleskin (from Joann), which was about $9 a yard and seemed to have the same amount of stretch as alova, but I personally liked the look and feel of it better. So don't sweat it - the alova suede is just a recommendation, and it's certainly not the only fabric that would work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lindag35
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2010 02:55:35 PM »

I'd kinda like to attempt the poppet with abs one of these days. But have seen a very cute bunny and a garden elf, and a mermaid....all would be awesome!! I had no problems with eleanore, thought I would, but I actually figured it out. I just am worried I printed my pieces bigger than everyon elses. In the last swap mine seemed to come out different. I wish mine came out more like ghilies...don't know...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amigurl55

Too. Many. Hobbies.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2010 03:10:31 PM »

MommytheMaid- do you have a Hancock fabric?  They carry something called "butter suede" all year round and its fairly well priced.  That's what I use for my poppets.  If you can't find it, PM me and I can ship it to you cheaper than the fabric websites.

Linda- you should try a mermaid!  I've made like 3 and they're really fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MommyTheMaid
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2010 03:11:58 PM »

The only suede I found at my JA's was very thick and very expensive home decor suede that had a slight print to it.  It was $39.99 a yard.  There was no stretch at all either.  I tried a non stretch suede once and it was okay, but I wasn't happy with the results.  I also tried a non stretch velour and NEVER will again LOL  Poor thing is busting out of it's seems just sitting on my shelf.

I guess as long as my partner doesn't mind having a poppet made from a stretch velour or a fleece than I would love to join.  Just wanted a general opinion on the matter first. Cheesy

Amigurl- I do have a Hancocks about 30 minutes from here.  I will be sure to check there!  When I called they told me they "occasionally carried a home decor suede and she didn't know much about it"  Roll Eyes  I wish people that worked in a craft store knew something about crafts...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

averyg
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010 03:23:42 PM »

I guess as long as my partner doesn't mind having a poppet made from a stretch velour or a fleece than I would love to join.  Just wanted a general opinion on the matter first. Cheesy

I have only ever used stretch velour in making my poppets in the past, and I have never heard complaints from any of my partners (correct me if I am wrong blue_lalita Wink ). I for the life of me cannot find alova suede in Canada, so velour is def. the way to go. I really, really love it thought, I find that it makes my poppets super cuddly and it makes them quite a bit bigger than poppets made out of alova (2-4 inches taller in general).

However, the other day I picked up some faux suede at a craft store I never go to, and it is so awesome (except for the fact that they have no skin-ish tones whatsoever, only light blues and greens and whatnot- perfect for mermaids, which I also hope to try out in a couple of days). It is really, really stretchy and I bought it for about $8.00/m.

I as an organizer would never disallow someone to join a swap if they cannot find the typical supplies to use, as that would be hypocritical because I am in the same boat- so heck, if you want to sign-up, don't worry about it! Cheesy And if someone were to have a problem with receiving a poppet made of velour, they would most likely let us know in the questionnaire, and as of yet no one has, so I think it would be a-okay to use it (or fleece, or even felt- last year we had some swappers made poppets out of felt).

Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amigurl55

Too. Many. Hobbies.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010 03:24:23 PM »

The butter suede is in the apparel section of my Hancock's.  Its very soft and fairly lightweight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MommyTheMaid
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2010 04:19:10 PM »

I will check out Hancocks for sure!  I have two poppets I need to make for private swaps and the character that I am attempting for one of them really wouldn't look right in anything other than pale.  I have decided that is a color LOL 

I personally have no problem with poppets made out of other fabrics.  Although, I hate turning felt when I do felt food so I will not be trying that LOL  My dino steam punk poppet was done in fleece and I LOVED her!  I even made another dino poppet but I need to fix his arm...I tend to sew one on upside down  Roll Eyes You can see Steam Punk-a-saurus here: https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=342098.msg3970630#msg3970630

I will have to fill out my questioneer and join!  I was trying to take a little break from swapping but of course there are too many good ones to pass up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

McBec27
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2010 06:01:25 PM »

I would not have any problem receiving a poppet made of something other than Alova. I don't think either of mine were Alova (they were both something fairly similar but came from the remnant bin and weren't labeled real well). I think you should probably join us! You know you want to... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my etsy!
Check out my wist!
SunflowerSmiles
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2010 06:21:13 PM »

I would not have any problem receiving a poppet made of something other than Alova. I don't think either of mine were Alova (they were both something fairly similar but came from the remnant bin and weren't labeled real well). I think you should probably join us! You know you want to... Cheesy

me either Wink  I'd love soft and cuddly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...