A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
165 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Works-in-progress  (Read 34465 times)
Tags for this thread: corn  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Blitherypoop
« on: April 27, 2010 07:37:16 AM »

I go to a lot of miniature food blogs and most people don't show works in progress.... which is kinda disappointing.  I know it's probably because they worry about giving away secrets, but I love those photos that 'lift the veil'.  I take photos of my stuff at various points both for my blog and to check up on how it *really* looks up close.

So.... what are you working on right now?  I'd love to see unfinished stuff... and there isn't an area for it.

(I'll post something once a few other people do... so I don't feel foolish. Tongue )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nougatgee
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010 09:34:19 AM »

is it ok if its a project from a book??  not necessarily exactly like in the book but using methods and ideas from the book??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Blitherypoop
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010 05:53:50 PM »

Sure.  Smiley

I forgot to mention... that's one of the things I love about Snowfern Clover.  She posts very long entries about the processes she uses, not exactly tutorials, but you can glean stuff from them.  All kinds of cool photos of her tools and unfinished work too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
atomicjam
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010 12:24:10 PM »

Hi!  Smiley I usually take photos of my works in progress.  Does it have to be mini-food WIP for this thread?    I've been working up-to making a clock but so far I've only made one cane Tongue lol.   Here's some pics of the cane and the clock-so-far...

Creating the birds...

Black and white birds...

Combining the birds...

Reducing...

aaaaand...  Tessellating M.C Escher Cane Slices... Cool

Those slices are about 1cm but i'm going to take them down to 5mm. Hopefully the split line won't be too noticable once it's smoothed/sanded/polished. I still don't know what else to do with it though.  Here's the clock it's going on...

That metal casing should lend itself well to abit of clay. I've put some around the sides to make them bulge a bit.  Need to get rid of the horrid red cross on the face though..

So lets see everyones latest work-in-progress...  I'd love to see what others are working on. Come on Blitherypoop, your turn  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DreamChild556

1+2+2+1. That's not six!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010 02:25:40 PM »

This looks awesome! Reminds me of the birds from some of M.C. Escher's works.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1,2 Freddy's coming for you.
3,4 better lock your door.
5,6 grab your crucifix.
7,8 gonna stay up late.
9,10 never sleep again.
atomicjam
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010 03:16:58 PM »

This looks awesome! Reminds me of the birds from some of M.C. Escher's works.

Thanks!  I did pretty much copy his work, though I drew the birds out freehand so they are slightly different.   I want to try some of his lizards but should probably do one of my own.

O.k one more work in progress from me... then it's everyone else's turn Cheesy

I just had this idea the other day.  I want to make some UV mushroom lights:   Shaped like a mushroom, but with some areas made translucent for a UV LED to shine through.
Work so-far (not much)...
This is the quick test rig...

Light off/on and in the dark...

More dark pics...

And a test through thicker clay...

I just mixed one part glow-in-the-dark fimo with one part coloured translucent. The pics don't really do it justice. I looks pretty good in real-life. If you made a quality item like this it would be really stunning.  The clay glows really bright when the light shines through it.  But when the light is on it, it just looks blue.  
There is also an amazing affect if you move the bulb around inside the dome (behind the thin clay).   As the light moves from place to place it leaves a 'tracer' of glowing green clay behind. This fades really quickly but looks fantastic.

Polymer clay is sooo versatile!
Those are my two latest projects.
Yours please...  Grin

EDIT: ok to try and show the effect of a moving light behind the clay i've tried to capture it on camera.  This is a rubbish pic but it hopefully shows what I mean (if your interested).   The bright green is where the light was. Moving the light paints a bright green tracer along the clay which fades in a few seconds.  It looks really good.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010 03:23:40 PM by atomicjam » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Blitherypoop
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010 07:13:47 PM »

Very cool!  And definately doesn't have to be mini food.  I look at sooooo much of that stuff that it's good to see other uses for the clay.  The Escher thing is awesome!

I'm working on a bunch of Mexican (well... American-style Mexican) food for Cinco de Mayo.

I finished the redware yesterday...

(never thought I'd draw a rooster that small!  It's just a little taller than the nail of my little finger)

And the tortillas are coming along...

Still lots of stuff to make (rice, beans, cheese, sauces, tomatoes, etc), and I'd like to be finished by the 5th... dunno if I will be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
atomicjam
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010 07:51:13 PM »

^^great stuff! I have no idea how you work at such a small scale.  Do you use a magnifying glass and tweezers?    And who/what is Cinco de Mayo?   Is this commercial work your doing?   It's certainly very good. I'm hungry for chicken fajitas now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010 11:33:02 PM »

wowie!  Shocked
 i LOVE that Escher style bird cane!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my etsy: https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/CWARTIST
cwart on facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cwart/121699394603368
my pinterest: http://pinterest.com/cwart/
Blitherypoop
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010 01:22:52 AM »

^^great stuff! I have no idea how you work at such a small scale.  Do you use a magnifying glass and tweezers?    And who/what is Cinco de Mayo?   Is this commercial work your doing?   It's certainly very good. I'm hungry for chicken fajitas now.

Thanks.  Smiley  I don't use magnification.  I just have better than average close-vision, always have.  Most of the shaping is too delicate for my fingers, so I use the tips of blades, pins, various tools, etc.  Cinco de Mayo is a celebration of a victory over French troops in the Mexican state of Puebla.  Americans mistake it for Mexican independance day and celebrate it with tacos and Mexican beer.   Tongue  As for being commercial... not yet.  Maybe soon.  I know that's kinda a hushed topic here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...