A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
236 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dressed up Dresser (trash to treasure)  (Read 2541 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
earthmama1978
« on: April 15, 2010 10:59:36 AM »

Found this ugly but sturdy wooden dresser curbside. It was white when I found it. In an effort to strip the paint off I found several layers of canary yellow. Gave up the stripping efforts and just sanded it down smooth (but not bare).

Here is "BEFORE" (in mid-stripping)

Ewwww, ugly, right?

Sooo anyway, we hard-up for Christmas money and I worked all summer on this dresser as a gift for my 6 year old daughter. I could only work on it when she was in bed or at school, so of course it took for-freakin-EVER! After I painted each drawer  I had to find a good place to hide it in our very small duplex apartment. Hahaha! Anyway after about 4 months, I finally finished the dresser, each drawer hand-painted and sealed with Krylon Triple Thick Glaze (I love that stuff).

Here is what it looks like now.

I don't know why I didn't take a picture, but in the lower right corner of the top of the dresser I painted the words "I love you, Magnolia".... My little girl LOVED it and said it was the best gift she had ever received and "she would even love it when she is a teenager". Heehee
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010 06:25:35 AM by pixieval - Reason: revealed images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
SierraPapaCharlie

Be more awesome.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010 11:06:10 AM »

...I'm trying to wrap my head around the fact that someone actually made a conscious decision to paint an entire dresser that awful yellow.

But it turned out really cute! My favorite drawers are the birds and the pink with black swirls.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the unusual ones. For the common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed. L. Frank Baum

http://sierrapapacharlie.wordpress.com

http://www.wists.com/sierrapapacharlie
earthmama1978
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010 03:57:29 PM »

Thanks!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rorbot
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010 08:46:51 PM »

Thats just gorgeous, and you are such a loving, wonderful Mama, I got tears in my eyes. Who needs money? You are AWESOME.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sydniburch

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-R9I_AEU8aAo/T6t

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010 08:55:36 PM »

That is such a great idea for an individuals room. Your not going to see that in the prepackaged Pottery-barn kids room. Her friends are going to be so jealous.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010 08:56:44 PM by sydniburch » THIS ROCKS   Logged

seamaiden75
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010 10:01:38 PM »

WOW!!!!! That is AWESOME!! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't have a TV now but that's ok the shows in my mind are almost always better.
The Maxx

My Wists http://www.wists.com/seamaiden75
Butweed
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010 03:00:04 PM »

I Love the music panel. its Pretty amazing how you hid that thing for xmas. (I would of wanted to show of each draw after finishing them  Cheesy ...im so bad with gifts)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

earthmama1978
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010 09:00:35 PM »

Thank you all so much! And yes it was INSANE trying to hide this from her. Once it was all done and together, we just threw a tarp over it in the basement and put some boxes on top, but while it was in progress.. ohhh my goodness... We had a couple drawers in the bedroom, one in her brother's room, one at the neighbor's... It was a lot of fun.

For her 5th birthday, I revamped an ugly old chest for her dress up stuff. It's posted on here, check it out!

Thanks again for all the complements!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
lyric889
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010 09:22:07 PM »

really colorful!!

I love that all the different drawers are different themes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crazypantsjones
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010 02:57:58 PM »

Wow, "even when she's a teenager"?? That's pretty high praise indeed from a little one! Cheesy

You did a beautiful job on this, as always.  I am looking really forward to seeing your next creations!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

How is it that Firefly gets cancelled after one measly season, but Tim and Eric Awesome Show has had five ?!?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...