A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
192 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Animal friendly pigeon repellent?  (Read 4660 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Stephannie

Dig that crazy sound.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 06, 2005 03:18:07 PM »

We live in an apartment, and recently we've had pigeons come in and out of our enclosed balcony through a space in between the railing and the wall of the balcony.  Does anyone know of a way to keep them away from our sapce without poisoning of maming them?  I don't want them to die-- I just want them to go away.  Please help...?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

karissabissa
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005 03:21:37 PM »

No real advice but I share your pain.  We have some that like to call our roof their home.  They're so loud in the morning and are leaving droppings all over our patio and our patio furniture!  They just drive me nuts.

I have heard spraying a mixture of water and vinegar might help but I can't figure out how I'd spray water and vinegar all the way up to my roof.  Might be worth a try for you though...might be stinky though?

Good luck! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Vood
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005 03:27:53 PM »

My brothers recently had the same problem. They bought a plastic owl and tied it to the railing. Apparently pigeons are afraid of owls.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Vanessa Cyanide
You won't like me.

Couture is lame. End of story.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005 03:53:15 PM »

The owl is suppose to work, but after time, they realize its not a real one.  I know that tiger urine works for deer...i wonder if it would have the same effect on flying rats? You could cut up peices of plastic bottles (like 2 liter soda bottles) and affix them to the spot they land on, it doesnt maim them, but it doesnt let them land anywhere.... Or you could always get a cat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://cyanidekustoms.bravehost.com
"I dont give a fu*k about punk rock no more" -The Dwarves
I want to give the Devil back the Devils' rock n roll!
Motorcycles and cars made of METAL....nothing gets to a girls heart faster... oh yea-  And crafting stuff that gives off toxic fumes....mmm m
GloryB

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005 08:01:13 AM »

I'm not sure if this will work on pigeons.  When I need to reseed sections of my lawn, I stick a child's pin wheel into the ground.  The mylar ones that flash in the sunlight.  It keeps the birds away from that area.  I've also noticed, that a neighbor has one of those big flower pin wheels in their yard.  I never see birds there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
VaxGirl
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005 10:06:22 AM »

There is something called pigeon spikes.  You've probably seen it on big signs and buildings.  It's just a strip of spikes, the pigeons won't land on it.  If you can't find a small piece, so maybe you could create something that would make it uncomfortable to land on the place where they are getting in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hudelei
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005 11:38:37 AM »

Things that are shiny (even old CDs tied to railings and plants) are supposed to work for scaring away birds, and some of those owls that people use actually move in the wind.  Some people reposition the owl frequently too so the birds don't wise up.

Sadly, I think I've tried all these tricks and more and still the birds love my balcony.  Mostly they hop around and molest my plants, but if I put hanging baskets up, they move in to stay.

I'd love to hear any other tricks anyone uses.  My local birdies are cute, but I wish they'd stick to the trees!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ParanoidEv
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005 11:53:13 AM »

My grandma used to let plastic bags fly stuck in trees so they would scare of the pigeons.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Put your hay on the ground and your sexy legs in the air! You have the right to remain wheeking for pellets!
erindezeeuw

How am I not myself?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005 12:00:30 PM »

My grandma ties aluminum pie plates to her tree branches to keep birds out of her garden . . . they don't like the reflecty-ness.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This may be for sale on my etsy:
creme-tangerine

myspace

How am I not myself?
kbronsink
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005 12:14:39 PM »

Hair!  My husband cuts his own hair at home with clippers (balding man) and saves it.  We sprinkle it in our baskets, planters, on the ground.  It keeps all kinds of animals away because human hair has a unique smell.  It's cheap too.  If you can't get some on your own, call your hair salon and tell them what you need, mind was able to help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...